Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Trainers @ Westpoint

Options
  • 29-04-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have a personal trainer at westpoint gym for the past two months now.

Im just wondering if anyone has used any of the other personal trainers in Westpoint and how did they find them? If you have used a personal trainer how many sessions did you stick with them for? I've had about 20 sessions with my one so far. thanks:cool::cool:

(I dont want advice on my programme, i have a trainer for that, i just want to hear of your experiences with a trainer and how long you stayed with them... not that hard surely?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Howya Teach, I'm up at Westpoint myself.

Out of curiosity, what type of training are you focusing on, cardio, weights or a 50:50?

And could you give a brief outline of a typical days training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Teach

Hey,

Im more focused on weights at the moment, im trying to build strength and muscle but still doing a bit of cardio to bring my body fat down a bit (i started at 15% and im down to 12% last time i checked)

the trainer i have gave me three different work outs to do on my own but i usually have two sessions a week with him and he tailors what i do around what i have already done that week. he showed me loads of good exercises that i would have never tried before so for example i might do chest and arms on my own one day (chest press, inclined chest press, standing flys, arm curls, inclined arm curls, inverted press ups etc witha bit of abs and cardio) then when i have him the next day we might focus on back and shoulders (shoulder presses, shoulder shrugs, inverted pull ups, inverted smith machine etc etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Would you focus at all on the big three: Squat, Benchpress and Deadlift?

Just trying to gauge the kind of plan the trainers doing there set :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Teach wrote: »
    Hey,

Im more focused on weights at the moment, im trying to build strength and muscle but still doing a bit of cardio to bring my body fat down a bit (i started at 15% and im down to 12% last time i checked)

the trainer i have gave me three different work outs to do on my own but i usually have two sessions a week with him and he tailors what i do around what i have already done that week. he showed me loads of good exercises that i would have never tried before so for example i might do chest and arms on my own one day (chest press, inclined chest press, standing flys, arm curls, inclined arm curls, inverted press ups etc witha bit of abs and cardio) then when i have him the next day we might focus on back and shoulders (shoulder presses, shoulder shrugs, inverted pull ups, inverted smith machine etc etc.)
    sounds like a cut and paste program from a magazine - it might help you drop a few pounds but unlikely to get you to where you want to be

yeah i would do all three, i never did squats before i got proper training on the technique, same with deadlifts. i do alot of bench press and ive gone up in what i can bench alot recently.

my trainer talked to me before i started and asked me loads of questions about what i do, what my goals were and how many times a week i coudl make it over so he based the programme he set me on that but he has upped the weights all the way along and always does something a little different with me during the sessions.

he's the only personal trainer ive tried so ive nothing to compare with, you know?

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    sounds like a cut and paste program from a magazine - it might help you drop a few pounds but unlikely to get you to where you want to be

If there's one thing I've learned since starting in all this fitness stuff is everybody will tell you something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Is this low grade shilling?

If there's one thing I've learned since starting in all this fitness stuff is everybody will tell you something different.
    something different is a program that not just based around upping your bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The more I hear and see of PT's programs the more I think of them as a walking encylcopedia of popular bodybuilding exercise with a "random workout" function which just spits out a program with no consideration as to who it's actually being prescribed to.

Obviously not all of them are like that, but most seem to be.

And if this is a shill, backfire!!

what the hell's a shill?

• Advertisement

ive only started focusing on upping my bench in the last few weeks, before that it was getting squat technique right. what are you benchin?

ive only started focusing on upping my bench in the last few weeks, before that it was getting squat technique right. what are you benchin?
    OMG - Hanley what are you benching? Or was that aimed at moi?

You asked for opinion on your program and its given

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Howya rob, or i mean Teach!

The program is not very good and there is a couple of PT's on here that are agreeing on that, its just like a program some spotty teen put up on his blog, personally i dont like mixing Chest and Biceps as if you plan on doing back the next day then your biceps are already tired, and you mentioned no leg stuff which is a bit suspicious as that should be your key exercises..

Anyway Rob-Doh!

Its hard to tell a lot from a program put up on the net without having reasoning behind it so that it makes sense and if the trainer explained it to us face to face you might see where he's coming from, but this just does not look great, peace out..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Transform wrote: »
    OMG - Hanley what are you benching? Or was that aimed at moi?

You asked for opinion on your program and its given

actually if you bothered the read the original post i asked for an opinion on other personal trainers, and on how long other people have stuck with their trainer. i dont really care about other people's opinions of my programme as long as i am happy with it and im seeing the results. which i am. so if you cant answer my questions...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I don't bench. Everyone knows it's bad for your deltards (that's your shoulders).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hanley wrote: »
    I don't bench. Everyone knows it's bad for your deltards (that's your shoulders).
    pmsl

actually if you bothered the read the original post i asked for an opinion on other personal trainers, and on how long other people have stuck with their trainer. i dont really care about other people's opinions of my programme as long as i am happy with it and im seeing the results. which i am. so if you cant answer my questions...?
    seeing as i am a personal trainer the answer is as follows-

1. I have clients i am writing programs for over 8years (some programs i wrote years ago i would be embarassed to get out).

2. If the program is working and your enjoying it then great stick to it.

You asked for opinion and there it is. The skill in a trainer is not in writing ONE program but successive and progressive ones

Advertisement