Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groin - How to stretch it to stop "knots"

Options
  • 29-04-2009 12:24pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    Having a lot of issues with my groin now for 12 months. Got a bad tear last year keep me off training for about 8 weeks. Then it was okish.

Now after every time I train or play a match the knot returns and I have to ice the hell out of it and push the knot out with my thumb and fingers. I have been to physio and he has worked on it, sound for about 10 days and then flares up again.
    I do all the "standard" stretching but is there any pointers you guys might have on "better" stretching??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....

If you injured it, you injured it for a reason. There's an imbalance or weakness somewhere which is causing it. If your physio isn't treating you to correct/improve this problem, then they're not worth their salt and you shouldn't bother with them. Find a physio who'll engage in true remedial work, and doesn't just give you rub downs!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

agree totally with hanley. had the same issue with hamstrings, so eventually changed physio. diagnosed the problem and touch wood, nothing for a while

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ah right, I know what you are saying. All he really seems to do is "rub it out" with his thumbs and elbow, it does the job but hasn't fixed the problem.

Maybe there is another issue which is causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Biff11

I had 3 years of something similar. I had my groin injected to, plenty of physio and plenty of rehab. The groin would be fine for a few weeks and the injury would reoccur.

Turns out the reason it kept happening was my allignment was horrendous. I had 7kg of weight more on one side of my body compared to the other.

Get a new physio and get them to check your allignment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Seriously???? How did they figure that out?

What MAYBE interesting is that I am totally reliant on my right leg, I am a goalkeeper and kick with my right.
    Also I did ligaments in my ankle last year and was out for 18 weeks. Could all be related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Biff11

Yeah possibly related but not always. As far as i know anything can kick it off.

If you get 2 weighing scales and put them side by side. Right foot on one and left on other and get someone to check the weights.

Also stand bare foot with feet together. If you are swaying side to side it probably means you are wrongly alligned.

These are only little things though. BEst bet is to get a good physio and not that cabbage who rubbed your groin and took your money. A proper physio will diagnose the cause of the problem. It took me an awful lot of money to figure this out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had severe groin trouble for a long time, eventually it got to the stage where I was back exercising and then enduring the pain for the few days afterwards, heading to the same physio the odd time if it was really bad.
    Got sick of it after about 6 months as I wasnt seeing any change. Started going to Sports Medicine Ireland (Sports Med. Ireland
    2 Schoolhouse Lane
    Postcode: Dublin 2
    Area: City Centre South
    Phone: 01 - 6624672) and they started me on loads of core exercises. After a month of these (and they are tough!) I was back to full time training with no after pains.
    I highly recommend going to someone who will treat the problem and not the symptoms.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I had severe groin trouble for a long time, eventually it got to the stage where I was back exercising and then enduring the pain for the few days afterwards, heading to the same physio the odd time if it was really bad.
    Got sick of it after about 6 months as I wasnt seeing any change. Started going to Sports Medicine Ireland (Sports Med. Ireland
    2 Schoolhouse Lane
    Postcode: Dublin 2
    Area: City Centre South
    Phone: 01 - 6624672) and they started me on loads of core exercises. After a month of these (and they are tough!) I was back to full time training with no after pains.
    I highly recommend going to someone who will treat the problem and not the symptoms.

Thanks GreeBo - I am down WEEEST so a bit of a trek, I will have to do some real digging and getting a good physio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭toggle

Yop,
    Are you close to Galway, there is a chiropractor that does graston technique http://www.grastontechnique.com, very effective for soft tissue injuries particarly ones that havent responsed to massage.

Clinic details are: CityChiropractic,091567055

Best of luck in getting the groin problem sorted
    Toggle

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Personally Id avoid going to a chiropractor, I dont believe they all know what they are doing and its too loosely regulated IMO.
    Again, you need to address the underlying cause, either a muscle weakness or an imbalance.

Just my 2c.:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement