Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice - losing weight

Options
  • 28-04-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, im looking for some advice regarding losing weight.Some info about me.

Im 25, 6ft.approx 115kg.Over the last 3 years i have had slim to 0 exercise.Basically approx 3 years ago, i was diagnosed with a lymphoma which is a type of blood disease.This required me to have very intense chemotherapy, radiograpy and eventually a bone marrow transplant.It has been over 1 year since that happened and now im looking at getting back to my former self and losing about 20-25kg.

Im looking for some advice regarding it.Currently i walk a few miles a day but it doesnt seem to be having a great affect although this could be down to the tempo which would not be that fast.

Regarding my eating habits, they aren't great but i have been trying to change that.I dont tend to eat anything from about 7-5 or 6 some days as im in college and dont tend to be hungry.If i do eat, it is usually a sandwich or smtg.Basically im wondering if this could be contributing to the fact that i havent lost that much weight as it might be affecting my metabolic rate.

Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards.
    Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

Delighted to hear that things are going well for you now.

Keep the walking up as it's one of the best exercises to get back into it.
    Low impact on the joints, etc... Slow steady exercise burns more fat too.

I'm a similar unit to you, 6ft tall, male, and ideally I'd like to lose a few kilos too.

3 years I moved home to Ireland (from a warm climate).
    I joined a gym/pool, I go to it constantly, and completed numourous triathlons etc... But, I've put on over 2 stone in weight in that time! I guess some is muscle, but I know most of it is not!

Anyway my point is that I've started to realise that weigh loss/control is more about a persons diet than anything else.

I've read that exercise is just about 10% of the picture... and a six pack is made in the kitchen.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

Im not an expert but just from my own workouts & diet i'd know a bit:

First of all you need to eat little and often to increase your metabolism. If your body isn't getting food regularly it automatically goes into store mode instead of burning calories. make sure its mostly fruit and veg & basically a balanced diet.

Also walking is good but it does need to be brisk, you want to have your heart rate up high to burn calories & more importantly fat, hills etc will increase the intensity to raise heart rate. Depends on your sex and age what range your heart rate needs to be in for the Calorie burning and fat burning zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Have a read over this

some excellent advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Given your previous medical history please make sure you consult with a medical professional or dietician before embarking on any major new diet/ exercise plans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Going for a jog should do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You won't lose weight if you don't eat in a healthy manner. At least you won't lose weight in a healthy way.

If you have little appetite, try small, frequent, healthy meals. It is just as important you eat the right stuff as it is you exercise.

Regarding the exercise, you should not push yourself if you have been inactive for a long period with illness. Light exercise, non strenuous (and this definition depends on the individual) is best to start.

Basically, start doing what any healthy individual should be doing in terms of diet and exercise first. See how you feel and then consult your doctor before entering into any stricter fitness program.

If you're not eating properly, you shouldn't be engaging in fitness programs.

Advertisement