Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulin Pumps and how do you get one?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

robinph wrote: »
    Just noticed this morning that I'd not changed the clock on my pump. Doh!

Did your pump do something funky around leap year day too? I noticed last week that my pump was a day behind but when I went through the history it has a record of Feb. 29th so I don't know what happened.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems that I remembered to add the extra day, I think I just had to have March 1st twice or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

robinph wrote: »
    Seems that I remembered to add the extra day, I think I just had to have March 1st twice or something.

Mine had the opposite - I had to skip a day. Which is why I'm perplexed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Changed my set this morning and the inserter thing only seemed to half heartedly fire the canula at me. All seemed stuck well, but wasn't sure if I might have not quite been plugged in right. Seems that the BG has come down OK from after breakfast but I'll have to keep an eye on it now incase it is kinked and give up over the next day or so.

Was doing some basal testing last night, getting up every couple of hours to test the BG to be able to check if I've got things set right. Somehow I managed to rip the canula clean off me during the night after I must have got in a tangle with the cable. No damage done, but was enough to wake me up.

Wasn't fun trying to reload a set and prime the pump etc at 2am. I seem to still be alive this morning though so must have done it relatively OK in my half asleep mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

So basically, you'll have a better chance of getting one with good BS and HbA1c's? Also what is the general lifespan of a pump and once they go out of warranty do you have to then start the process of applying for a pump again?

Not sure that there is any specific sugar levels or Hba1c numbers that you'd be needing to hit to get a pump, the main thing will be you working with your diabetes team and between you coming to the decision that it will be useful for you. Obviously helps if they have the budget to supply pumps. My numbers were not great before getting a pump, and there is still plenty of room for improvement, but I do have better control with it and that is the point of me getting the pump.

The pumps are only covered by the manufacturers for four years, I think they are all the same, and after that they would issue a new one. Mechanically they should last longer than that of course, but you'd get a new one before then.

It seems that my Animas pump was perfectly happy with going underwater in the swimming pool and Mediterranean where I was on holiday last week. Didn't have any problems with it and the water, except maybe the first couple of days where I'd not been quite efficient enough at sticking the cannula patch on around the edges before subjecting it to three days of getting soaked then drying out in the sun for a bit and then getting soaked again.

I unplugged the pump from the cannula before getting in the hot tub, and that worked out fine as well. Well for the pump anyway. After four days of people in and out of the hot tub, a few dropped glasses of drink in there as well no doubt etc the hot tub was probably not the best place to be so I kept out of it for the rest of the week. When I changed the set the cannula site was infected, but that is all clearing up fine now. It was fun, but I think I'll probably avoid the hot tubs totally now.

The Animas pump is definitely water proof, but you do get some strange looks as you wander around in swim gear and cables coming out of the side of you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi all, is someone in the know how much CGM system or pump will cost me. I just got pregnant and I am so worried about my baby - I am getting crazy without knowing my sugar all the time, really stressful. I know of countries where it is possible to ''rent'' those expensive sort of pumps for the time of preganancy but this does not seem to be the case in Ireland so I'm trying to figure out if I may be able to afford it and then after 9 months maybe sell it on somehow :( Is it even possible. I am desperate...
    eh, why is it so difficult?

OOOOWWWWWW

Just got myself caught on a door handle and ended up ripping the canula out. Not done that before so took my a bit by surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Hello,

Both my children 17 year old daughter and 15 year old son started pump training last week.

They are using the Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm pump. So far they have are just wearing them with saline and they will go live on insulin next Wednesday. Hopefully things will go smoothly. We have got great support from the hospital but nonetheless it will be nerve wracking for the first few weeks.

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

kilsmum wrote: »
    Hello,

Both my children 17 year old daughter and 15 year old son started pump training last week.

They are using the Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm pump. So far they have are just wearing them with saline and they will go live on insulin next Wednesday. Hopefully things will go smoothly. We have got great support from the hospital but nonetheless it will be nerve wracking for the first few weeks.

Kilsmum

Recall on :

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/ListofRecalls/ucm360618.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭uli84

Anyone having veo pump-can you please tell me how much glucose sensors are? Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 equigs

When I made enquires to my diabetic nurse, she said that it was covered on the LTI and usually high a1c's would qualify you, BUT, because her hospital was very busy and couldn't offer the pump starter training, HOWEVER (me beginning to smell a rat) my Endo couldbget me started in the pump at his private clinic 🤔. That to me is scamming, pure and simple. I'm disgusted with my Endo and the diabetic nurse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Advertisement