Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mé féiners

Options
  • 27-04-2009 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

If I'm going to the shop or making a cup of tea or anything like that, be it in work or at home, I'll ask if anyone needs anything in the shop or if anyone wants a cup of tea etc etc...

The majority of people I think would do this too. But, there's always one! - One person who will just look after themselves and not even bother to offer.

Does that get on your nerves?? I'm not talking about mean or stingy people by the way. There is a difference between being stingy and being selfish. But both are unattractive traits...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Tea, milk, no sugar and a pink snack. Thanks pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't ask if people need things from the shop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

phasers wrote: »
    I don't ask if people need things from the shop...

Mé féiner!

Well different places have different situations, like if I was in a factory, or a huge office with 100's of staff I wouldn't ask everyone, but I'm talking about people in your department or who you'd sit near in work...

Even if you're at home you wouldn't ask if anyone needed anything from the shop..?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Eh ?

You serious horse ?

Don't know about you but I work with adults - if the freekers want a cup o coffee thay actually get it themselves..bet your surprised at that ?

There is one annoying bint that when she is going to the shop..spends 10 minutes asking everybody in the vicinity "do they want anything".

gets orders for things like :

Extra skinny lattes

A small orange

A stamp

A fresh danish

Dry cleaning pick up

A ham salad sarni on brown bread an no butter.

Spends half an hour + getting these for the lazy freekers who couldn't be bothered stirring themselves during lunch break.

Comes back like a bag lady an puts up with sh1te like :

"I freekin said NO BUTTER !

"Did you get this roll in the bin ?"

"I said NO SUGAR" !:eek:

"NO - cappocino !....not this horse p1ss."

Umm not for me ..I'm afraid ..adults an all that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Mé féiner!

Well different places have different situations, like if I was in a factory, or a huge office with 100's of staff I wouldn't ask everyone, but I'm talking about people in your department or who you'd sit near in work...

Even if you're at home you wouldn't ask if anyone needed anything from the shop..?

No, because I'd get a massive list of things, and then we'd have to divide up receipts and things. I wouldn't be bothered tbh. If it's getting tea or whatever I'll do it but nothing that involves money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Gave that up after I checked after a bint at work asked me to get a pack of "SuperFlo" tampons and a douche bag at the pharmacy.

Even said I needed to "hurry back" as she was starting to "fill up" so she said.

Never again said a young Flutther.

Eh ?

You serious horse ?

Don't know about you but I work with adults - if the freekers want a cup o coffee thay actually get it themselves..bet your surprised at that ?

There is one annoying bint that when she is going to the shop..spends 10 minutes asking everybody in the vicinity "do they want anything".

gets orders for things like :

Extra skinny lattes

A small orange

A stamp

A fresh danish

Dry cleaning pick up

A ham salad sarni on brown bread an no butter.

Spends half an hour + getting these for the lazy freekers who couldn't be bothered stirring themselves during lunch break.

Comes back like a bag lady an puts up with sh1te like :

"I freekin said NO BUTTER !

"Did you get this roll in the bin ?"

"I said NO SUGAR" !:eek:

"NO - cappocino !....not this horse p1ss."

Umm not for me ..I'm afraid ..adults an all that....

Yes, I'm serious....

But nothing like you've said has ever happened to me. Also, I'm not the only one who offers. We all do it here. In fairness there's only a handful of people in the area where I work and we get on well. But if anyone's heading to the shop and I fancied say a bar of chocolate for tea break or something I wouldn't mind asking them. Similarly I would also offer to get something for them while going to the shop.

If I needed bread, milk, fruit & cereal...etc. and someone said "I'm popping out to the shop, does anyone need anything?" I wouldn't expect them to get all that for me, and vice versa. I was just referring to one-off things.

I wouldn't say "I'm going to the shop, can I pick up anyone's dry-cleaning while I'm out?" and if anyone had the cheek to ask that then they'd be told where to go.

I think being a mé féiner can work both ways - one way is just looking after yourself, but the other it taking advantage of a colleagues good will and expecting them to run errands for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I once ran for election as a 'Me Feiner'.

My campaign slogan was 'Don't bother vote for me, I'll do it myself!' with a picture of me looking indignant on the poster.

Needless to say I was top of the ballot (but only because I had my name legally changed to Aaron Aardvark for the duration of the election).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Me little brother is a total mé féiner. He's 23 and thinks the world revolves around him. He got my other little brother (17) to sell his motorbike and kept hounding him everyday until S sold it then didnt even offer him a tenner for doing it for him. He also hasnt seen my new apt and i'm living there over a month. Havent even got a congrats email/text/call from him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

if it doesnt overly put be out then I am usually happy to help others.If I am going to make a cup of tea etc I dont mind making for others and when I go for lunch I always ask if anyone wants anything.Its called being polite!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I once ran for election as a 'Me Feiner'.

My campaign slogan was 'Don't bother vote for me, I'll do it myself!' with a picture of me looking indignant on the poster.

Needless to say I was top of the ballot (but only because I had my name legally changed to Aaron Aardvark for the duration of the election).

I like it! I'd offer to be your election agent but I cant be arsed to help ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I like it! I'd offer to be your election agent but I cant be arsed to help ya!

That's the spirit! You'll fit right in here at Mé Féin HQ.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's the spirit! You'll fit right in here at Mé Féin HQ.

We will have a hard time finding someone who is going to organise the election posters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

My office is full of overly polite people, I get asked about 10 times each day if I want anything in the shop by these nicey nicey people, for fcuk sake just go and stop wrecking my head. If I want something I'll take the 20 second walk to the shop myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

My office is full of overly polite people, I get asked about 10 times each day if I want anything in the shop by these nicey nicey people, for fcuk sake just go and stop wrecking my head. If I want something I'll take the 20 second walk to the shop myself.
    Ungrateful brat. You'll be sorry when they stop asking. Especially if you lose your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pighead wrote: »
    Ungrateful brat. You'll be sorry when they stop asking. Especially if you lose your legs.

How do you know this person hasn't already lost their legs you insensitive....!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

wow! what an attitude - talk about a "character"!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

lol!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Pighead can just tell. It's all to do with his cocksure writing style and the way his posts tend to strut arrogantly across the page. People with no legs aren't good at strutting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

my mother woke me up to the phenomena of the me feiner.
    They only ever think of themselves. Completely self interested/centred.

What would you expect of ? They are a me feiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

If taking the time to say "no, thanks" wrecks your head, I suspect you have bigger issues than getting your own coffee.
    What a sad little post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

If I'm going to the shop or making a cup of tea or anything like that, be it in work or at home, I'll ask if anyone needs anything in the shop or if anyone wants a cup of tea etc etc...

The majority of people I think would do this too. But, there's always one! - One person who will just look after themselves and not even bother to offer.

Does that get on your nerves?? I'm not talking about mean or stingy people by the way. There is a difference between being stingy and being selfish. But both are unattractive traits...

Not really. By your definition I'm a Mé Feiner. I don't go round offering to make cups of tea or pick-up stuff at the shops for people but at the same time I never ask for people to do likewise for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Do you not feel that you're being a bit selfish by giving out about these people?
    They may be busy themselves and not have time to get you something in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i'm a sole trader so i always have to make my own tea :(

I think some mé féiners people here are taking what I'm saying in the wrong context...

I'm not talking about going around to every single person in the place and asking them individually. I mean just casually saying "i'm getting a cup of tea if anyone wants one" before you go.

We all do it in my place, (except 1 person) - in fairness its a small company, but even a director will offer to make people tea / coffee when they're going for one.

mukki wrote: »
    i'm a sole trader so i always have to make my own tea :(

here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

If you're going the me feiner route you have to be consistent. A break in policy will lead to suspicion and paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

No i wouldn't ask someone if they wanted something. If they want it they will get up and find it themselves. If someone were to ask me to get them something should they get wind of my trip to a shop then yeah i'll get it for them, otherwise no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

big b wrote: »
    If taking the time to say "no, thanks" wrecks your head, I suspect you have bigger issues than getting your own coffee.
    What a sad little post.

Reading into things over the internet.. sad sad post:p

and to the OP, so what if that one person doesn't want to ask everybody when they get things? I'm sure that person doesn't accept when others offer (if she does, then she's a bitch).

As for me, I would ask the people directly around me, but wouldn't leave an open invitation to get burdened with everyones food orders. I normally wouldn't accept either because I normally like getting off my ass

Advertisement