Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal age to consume alcohol is 21!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Alcohol is a factor in unplanned teenage pregnancy worldwide.

I think raising the legal age is a responsible move, since everyone in Ireland is so keen to uphold the drinking age as it is:p.

Ignorance is more of a major factor.
    worldwide? In the usa half the kids are taught contraception doesn't work and abstinence only. Etc.
    Even here, there are people who come out with shocking statements on contraception or ignorant on sex in general (e.g. "she can't get pregnant at all if she's on her period so don't worry") and they're old enough to know better. Or "x looks like they come from a 'good background' so they couldn't possibly have an STI' ", but that's another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Darkbloom wrote: »
    Yet not as important as ignorance about contraception, which - surprise surprise! - is still a big problem here.

out of 20 something pubs in my town only 1 has a condom machine, there's not even one in the 2 nightclubs...bacardi & coke is probably the widest used contraceptive in town....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Drinking at 18 is fine as most of us probably started in or around 15 ish, out of thread, methinks driving age should be increased

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I started at 18, finished at 18 and only started drinking again at 24. I now drink a lot, though its in a certain moderation and its only craft or premium beer as well as my own beer that I drink as well as good Whiskey sometimes.
    When I was growing up my parents did not drink, though they had no problem with me trying some Guinness or wine at Christmas so as a result there was no taboo so no reason to rebel and knacker drink cheap swill like most kids.

On the driving note, don't be ridiculous. The driving age should not be increased, that also should be decreased to 16 and have kids in school having driving lessons as part of the curriculum or at the very least the transition year curriculum and also there should be proof of at least 10 lessons before you can even apply for your test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I started drinking at age 12, could probably be classed as being an alcoholic by age 16 and I eventually gave up drinking at 18. I *really* don't think an age limit of 21 will make any difference whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ignorance is more of a major factor.
    worldwide? In the usa half the kids are taught contraception doesn't work and abstinence only. Etc.

As was I... A couple of people came to our school and told us that sort of nonsense. Bear in mind this was 2007.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Biggins wrote: »
    Won't happen - end of story.

Too many powerful folk - a lot in the Dail to begin with - own public houses.
    They don't want to see their profits even further hit in bar and off licence sales.

Won't happen, the profiteers, well connected and powerful will see to that.
    End of story.
    http://alcoholireland.ie/?p=748
    In the past 15 years, there have only been three increases in excise duty – cider (2001), spirits (2002) and wine (October 2008), the last excise duty increase on beer was in 1994. Take beer for example, tax as a percentage of price fell from 37% in 1994 to around 29% in 2007.
    Not only has the excise on beer not gone up since 1994 it's actually gone down for low alcohol beers.

http://budget.gov.ie/2009/budgetsummary09.html#_Toc211585085
    Excise Duty on a standard bottle of wine is being increased by 50 cent (including VAT) with effect from midnight on 14 October 2008. Pro-rata increases are also being applied to other wine, and certain other fermented and intermediate products.

A reduced rate of excise duty, at 50% of the full appropriate excise duty rate for beer and cider, will be introduced for low alcohol beer and cider (beer and cider products with an alcohol by volume content of 2.8% or less), with effect from midnight on 14 October 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No.

Now, if we as a society actually chose to educate our young people as to how to drink responsibly, and showed them some good example, THAT might have some effect (and not just between 18 and 21).

At the moment, the 3 preferred options in Ireland when it comes to parents dealing with their children and drink appear to be:

1) Total Abstinence ... the confirmation pledge syndrome.

2) Real Man-itis ... "get it down ya, 'twill put hair on yer <insert as appropriate>"

3) Ignorance is bliss ... "sure my kids wouldn't drink / variant: know when to stop!"
    Exactly.

There should be compulsory classes in all secondary schools in the country teaching students everything about alcohol. This should be done in first year and continued right up until 5th year (maybe three times a month). It would solve a lot of problems imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Overheal wrote: »
    You would have to abolish the 21-license on some pubs and clubs then. You would also have to tell insurance companies they can't charge more for younger drivers.

Insurance cos are not discriminating based on age...they are discounting more experienced drivers policies based on driving experience. Younger drivers dont get the same discounts because they dont have the experience. this is where actuarial maths comes into play. Statistically younger drivers are more likely to be in a crash because they havent got the driving experience behind them...not more likely to crash because they are younger.

You may also remember a few years ago that some clubs/pubs got into trouble because of an over 21s only policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

daheff wrote: »
    Insurance cos are not discriminating based on age...they are discounting more experienced drivers policies based on driving experience. Younger drivers dont get the same discounts because they dont have the experience. this is where actuarial maths comes into play. Statistically younger drivers are more likely to be in a crash because they havent got the driving experience behind them...not more likely to crash because they are younger.

You may also remember a few years ago that some clubs/pubs got into trouble because of an over 21s only policy.

SHENANIGANS!

A 30 year old getting insurance for the first time will be charged less than a 17 year old getting it for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It's not about rebellion..... I'm one of the teenagers your likely to see downing a naggin/shoulder of vodka or a few cans before a disco.. most of the lads i drink with before the discos are allowed drink at home, as am I, the only reason we do it is because is a good laugh..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i doubt the government could afford to exclude one of their biggest (booze tax related) revenue earning age groups at any time, never mind in a resession, so i doubt very much it would ever happen.

as long as the revenue generation from drinkers is higher than the money lost from having to treat them in hospitals and bury them, it'll never change. (possibly overly cynical, but could well be true).

what we need is to effectively educate the masses of all ages in the reality of alcohol abuse, as well as reckless driving and pretty much every other socially/morally unacceptable act that there is a lot of. shan't be holding my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ye put it up to 21 and get MORE people out knacker drinking rather than in a pub/club where there less likely to get into/cause trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Raising the age to 21 won't make any difference. Teens will still get drink somehow. Just look at the states, I lived there for a few months a good few years back, the stories I heard about the teenagers drinking there. Myself and my friends used to go on the knack in the fields and get tipsy but never off our faces, the amount of people in the states I knew who had to go to hospital with alcohol poisoning is mad! I'd never heard of anyone I know having to do the same here.

Advertisement