Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I tone my rear?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 12:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

am 35, 5ft 2in, BMI less than 20 (so gaining weight would be fine) but my rear is still relatively big - am happy enough with the rest of my body but would like to get that part of my body into shape - any suggestions would be great. Am a type 1 diabetic amongst other things so dietry advice is not applicable but exercises would be. At the moment my rear looks like JLO or whatever she calls herself which I do not like but my husband does. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

You could try cycling or steps to tone that area, bearing in mind that any exercise will help to burn off the stored energy you have.
    I believe that swimming is a good all-round exercise for toning the bod.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Err, I should have said, I don't want to loose weight - I just want to move the weight to be all over, sorry if I did not make that clearer. Thanks for your advice though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ya can't just move it unfortunately. Some people are just bigger in certain places!! There probably are things ya can do to make it a bit smaller, but it most likely would involve losing weight all over!!

I guessed that might be the case but I thought that I would ask, thanks :D Thing is I had a large chest which is great, a narrow waist size 6, but I look a bit skeletal around my ribs etc, I do have a small tummy but that is useful for taking the insulin so I am happy with that. Sure I would love to be like one of those amazing Spanish students who are very skinny but that is not my body shape - I am a woman with curves! Would be a size 8 on my rear though - I think that I have a small bit of cellulite too...thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

So going by what your saying... you're a size six with big boobs and JLOs ass................ and this is a problem!!?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

CathyMoran wrote: »
    ... I look a bit skeletal around my ribs etc, I do have a small tummy .... Would be a size 8 on my rear though ...

You sound tiny and on the verge of passing out, please be careful.

again, Swimming is good :)

It's the small bit of cellulite and the fact that my rear sticks out! I know, I need to get fit, the swimming sounds good - I used to be fit but an illness (not the diabetes) really threw me and I am struggling to get fit again but I can not eat large quantities unfortunatly so I struggle with my energy. I will try and increase the walking and get back to swimming and try to eat more, even grazing on nuts all the time might be good? (I know that you can not give dietry advice). Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 schnuz

Riding-horse riding that is- is brilliant for toning the ass

Also try lying on your side propped up on one elbow(hand on jaw) and just raising your leg in the air hold and repeat. then do it on the other side. tones your thighs and ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭spiral

Squats , Lunges , stepups, RDL's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

You sound great, can i stare at you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

If I had to pick one exercise for home workout with zero equipment it would be lunges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I have similar bum issues! Small waist bit butt! It didn't bother me before when I was fit but when i put on weight it more or less all went on my bum and thighs! It's the jiggling that bothered me really!
    Over the past few months I' ve changed my diet and I started working out and I have lost a good bit of fat! But since I have started doing squats and lunges its so much less jiggly!! Its definitely the way to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Agree with BossArky - Lunges for buns of steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Guys can we keep these kind of comments out of it, there's really absolutely no need for it.
    jayoo wrote: »

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

So going by what your saying... you're a size six with big boobs and JLOs ass................ and this is a problem!!?:D

Ugh. :/ Put away the testosterone please. We have enough people feeling intimidated at posting in the fitness forum without this kind of crap. :/

edit: I blame the delay on lunch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Lunges and bulgarian split squats, youtube has videos of both.

That said if you've got cellulite and are kinda jiggly in the area but lean elsewhere it can be a sign that you are holding the weight due to excess estrogen.

Lunges and bulgarian split squats, youtube has videos of both.

That said if you've got cellulite and are kinda jiggly in the area but lean elsewhere it can be a sign that you are holding the weight due to excess estrogen.
    I think that you hit the nail on the head with the excess estrogen, have had experience with miscarriages recently so that ties in...I would be considered tiny. I am pushing to get fit but is a struggle when I can not eat much but that is a whole other story...thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I think that you hit the nail on the head with the excess estrogen, have had experience with miscarriages recently so that ties in...I would be considered tiny. I am pushing to get fit but is a struggle when I can not eat much but that is a whole other story...thanks again.

If you include a lot of broccoli, cauli flower, cabbage in your diet they help clear excess estrogen as they contain a compound called calcium d-glucatarte (sp?) which is non hormonal but binds to estrogen in the blood stream and lets it get excreted by the bladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

okey dokey

Was tiring more along the lines of diffusing awkwardness with some complementary humour rather than intimidation, but see your point Sorrryyyyyyy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

okey dokey

Was tiring more along the lines of diffusing awkwardness with some complementary humour rather than intimidation, but see your point Sorrryyyyyyy

ditto,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Stara

Apparently there's a link between fat content in the bum area and insulin regulation.Not sure of exact details but check here:http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24878517-23272,00.html the more scholarly articles were very word-heavy.

Advertisement