Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONGRATULATIONS TO ME!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Well done, but teaching people how to play poker is -EV. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

Thanks guys.

For those who have gotten a free trial I've decided to give you a couple tips. On the video page there's a "show only DRM free" option which shows videos which are single table or powerpoint presentations. You can download all these and watch them after your trial runs out. You can also download DRM protected videos and unlock them. These will work for a week or three views, whichever comes first, so unlock a few at the end of your trial.

Also, I'd recommend checking out as many videos producers as you have time for so start with 1 from each and, if you have time, watch a couple more from the guys you liked best.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Congrats, what does it involve?

Thanks Lloyd,

I'll be regularly producing videos for Leggo and writing articles for the private strategy forum every now and then.

I was made mod of the micro stakes forum a few days ago and have a sticky up with loads of useful links to free information for those who can't afford Leggo yet. I also put up a stats thread where I'll be analysing stats for people and I'll be responding to hand history threads in the forums.

If anybody wants me to reply to their hand histories, post the hand history in the relevant forum, shoot me a pm and I'll take a look at it. You can do this for other pros as well btw and I'm sure they'll be happy to take a look for you.

I'll be blogging on there as well, as soon as I get around to it.

EDIT: I'll be coaching as well after I'm finished my exams, so around the start of June.

NickyOD wrote: »
    Well done, but teaching people how to play poker is -EV. :)

Not when you get paid for it ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

nice job, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Congrats, look forward to checking your vids and stuff out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

have always found your posts very informative , well played sir :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

WP and well deserved IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Congrats Philip,

definitely well deserved, and i'm slightly surprised it's taken this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Well done man - great news and fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Congrats RJ, wp m8. I'm delighted for ya.

lol @ the free week giveaway when anybody can get it anyways* :D

How many vids have you made thus far? Is it still just the one you made for the user comp or have you made more since? All 6 max cash?

I'll defo sign up at some stage, best of luck with it.

*I might be jealous cause I missed out :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

RedJoker wrote: »
    Not when you get paid for it ;).

he means for the rest of us ;)

great stuff RJ,

One of fav strat posters on here.. I hope it doesn't mean we'll be missing you....

I still have one of the homemade vids you did on party...

Mixed Cork accent FTW!

Thanks guys.
    shoutman wrote: »
    Congrats Philip,

definitely well deserved, and i'm slightly surprised it's taken this long.

Thanks.

Well I was signed after the 3betting vid but it couldn't be announced until the first vid came out. Unfortunately I've had computer issues for ages, I had to buy a whole new computer and I'm on my third headset.
    H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Congrats RJ, wp m8. I'm delighted for ya.

lol @ the free week giveaway when anybody can get it anyways* :D

How many vids have you made thus far? Is it still just the one you made for the user comp or have you made more since? All 6 max cash?

I'll defo sign up at some stage, best of luck with it.

*I might be jealous cause I missed out :mad:

Thanks.

Lots of people don't have credit cards unfortunately.

I have a 200nl video, which went up yesterday, as well.

Macspower wrote: »
    he means for the rest of us ;)

great stuff RJ,

One of fav strat posters on here.. I hope it doesn't mean we'll be missing you....

I still have one of the homemade vids you did on party...

Mixed Cork accent FTW!

Thanks.

Haha, that vid actually got around a fair bit, I've had a few friends, who I didn't think would know about it at all, talk to me about it.

Also, it's not -EV if you're the one learning from it. Win-win for everybody imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

I'd like to see a mathmatical analysis of c/r bluffing the turn as the PFR including variables for various degrees of villains tendancy to float the flop in position and his penchant for betting the turn when checked to along with how polarized his range is when he does bet.

You have one week, ty.

pok3rplaya wrote: »
    I'd like to see a mathmatical analysis of c/r bluffing the turn as the PFR including variables for various degrees of villains tendancy to float the flop in position and his penchant for betting the turn when checked to along with how polarized his range is when he does bet.

You have one week, ty.

This is actually a pretty interesting question.

So assuming the action goes, we raise preflop and get called IP, we cbet the flop and get called, what should we do on the turn and with what ranges?

There was a time when the "stack-a-donk" play (c/ring the turn all-in in this spot) was very popular. The main reason was that not only were players floating the flop and betting the turn with air, they'd also call the flop with made hands and then bet-fold the turn with them. Against a player who's capable of c/r bluffing the turn in this spot, bet-folding the turn with TPWK/MP/underpairs is clearly terrible, they should be checking back to try to showdown or induce river bluffs. If they do decide to bet it should be to bet-call, bet-folding with that much equity is a big mistake if you're getting bluffed some of the time (if you never get bluffed then it's not as bad but still not great). So players were getting better and starting to check back in these spots or checking the turn and betting the river instead when floating and the play lost popularity.

What ranges were people using to stack-a-donk? Well most of the time it would be draws, the logic was something like, if I check and the turn goes check/check I get to see a free river, fantastic. If I bet and get shoved on I'm in an awful spot where I may have to fold a hand with a lot of equity. If I check shove then I allow floats to put a bet in, can get other draws to fold and sometimes made hands.

This is all fine but the problem was that it was awkward to balance, if your range is always draws then people can happily bet call with any made hand. So you needed to have made hands in your range, the best type of hands to do this with were TPTK hands and overpair hands because allowing the turn to check through would be awful with stronger hands like sets but these hands were still ahead of the range that would bet-call. Boom, balanced.

The other perceived benefit is that we also balance our checking range because we're not always giving up when we check, so it makes it harder for players to float us, and they can't value bet as thin against the range that's check-calling the turn.

However, the other school of thought on this, and the one I agree with, is that we should just be firing a second barrel with that whole range. The issue with having a stack-a-donk range is that you now need to balance two ranges, your stack-a-donk range and your double barrelling range. If instead we just combined them then our range becomes easier to balance and harder to read, we can have all sorts of hands when we fire the turn.

The problem with checking things like overpairs and TPTK type hands is that we're missing out on huge amounts of value when the turn gets checked through which is a fairly large mistake. And having draws in our double barrelling range provides a far better balance for that range. The risk of getting shoved on isn't that large, when people call our flop cbet their range will usually be capped so there's not a huge amount of risk of being shoved on, so we'll typically get to see the river with our draws anyway. If they are the type to slowplay and don't have capped ranges then we lose less the times that they have sets by bet folding rather then check shoving. So we'd be taking suboptimal lines unnecessarily.

As for being floated, even though we don't allow floats to put money in on the turn, we still exploit them to a certain extent, they're putting money in on the flop and then folding the turn. If our double barrelling range is wide enough then it's not like players can just float us as much as they like, if they have to fold the turn enough then it's not going to be profitable for them. So having a check raising range isn't a requirement to prevent being floated.

Another sort of balancing myth (there's a lot of these, players think they need to balance spots they don't have to or dismiss balancing because they have misguided notions of what it's actually about) is that you need to have a check raising range to "protect" the times you're giving up and check folding or check calling. This is unnecessary, even if your range for checking the turn consisted only of hands that are check calling or check folding, this might not be exploitable. The times that you check call "protect" the times you give up and the times you give up induce bluffs for the check calling range, so they can be balanced even without a check raising range.

It's like having an open limping range, if it's unnecessary to have one and means taking suboptimal lines with made hands (like limp reraising aces) to balance then we should just merge the whole range together and raise 100% of the time when opening.

So my default is to not have a turn c/ring range at all. If you feel somebody is floating you a large amount then you can adjust and check raise sometimes to allow them put dead money in the pot, but it shouldn't be your default imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

best of luck with this RJ!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Well done, look forward to watching some of your videos

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

good stuff
    well done and best of luck with new job

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

well done Redjoker, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

Thats actually a pretty awesome post. ty RJ and gl at leggo. Do me one more favour and tell Sauce to get off his ass and make more videos and I might just sign up again.

• Advertisement

pok3rplaya wrote: »
    Thats actually a pretty awesome post. ty RJ and gl at leggo. Do me one more favour and tell Sauce to get off his ass and make more videos and I might just sign up again.

Thanks.

Sure, I'll go let him know he has to make one for you ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Adrock-aka

Just saw, Congrats! Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ferdyfish

congrats redjoker, delighted for ya man.
    you might know me as ferdia or john even from pokersoc. ucc. if you have any more week free trials going for leggo id like one please. i have zero bankroll atm! to pay into a coaching site and i had to pay spud 20euro to let me watch bobbos golden ratio dvds. lol

ferdyfish wrote: »
    i had to pay spud 20euro to let me watch bobbos golden ratio dvds. lol

Haha, what a cheap ****.

Advertisement