Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu 9.04 released.

Options
  • 23-04-2009 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

Downloading as I type, trying to decide if I'm going to do a clean install on the server rather than an upgrade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Are you going for ext4 or sticking with ext3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

This is my first opening with 9.04 or ext4, so think I will play it safe this time around and go ext3 on the HDD but mess with ext4 in a VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

No long-term support? :eek: Effort.

Looking like a solid release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I was looking at the release notes, hardly worth upgrading tbh. I'm on Mint now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

I haven't tried this method but it may be an interesting option for people if the mirrors are been hammered how-to-use-aptp2p-for-faster-upgrades-from-ubuntu-intrepid-810-to-jaunty-904ubuntu-geek.

I'm/I was using the RC of 9.04 on the AA1(sdd) version. Just download a quick update so may not anymore. I'm using ext4 at the moment. Against strong advice on the net to stick with ext2 (saving the life of the SDD card). I'm not to concerned about it. I will probably upgrade to a tablet style netbook when they get release here. Could replace SDD in the future if i need to.

For people who may want to do a clean install, look for tips on getting your current package selections saved to a text file and use it latter to re-install the same packages.

Regards,
    J.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Just upgraded to 9.04 and knetworkmanager can no-longer configure my wireless connection - brought back memories of the bad old days!

In case anyone else encounters the same problem removing knetworkmanager and installing wicd solves the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

With the RC, I had to install a driver for my Wireless card, it didn't auto-detect it. No big deal. What is annoying, is it doesnt seem to realise my laptop has a battery....

Though, I think the battery itself is broken.

That, and for some reason I cant enable and disable services anymore. It just won't unlock.

One thing to note though, 9.04 boots as fast on my X20, with 192 meg of RAM, and a 600Mhz pentium 3 as 8.10 does on a 2.5ghz Core2Duo, with 4Gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I remember reading a while ago about potential for data loss with ext4 in one of the release candidates, has that been solved in the full release

OK I have to eat humble pie and say this release is great and worth the upgrade or re-install. I decided to download and install it last night. Its so fast, apps open and close faster, boot up and shut down are noticeably quicker too. Also I get the correct widescreen resolution (1440 x 900) without installing the nVidia driver. As far as I'm concerned thats far better because the driver slowed down everything. This is the best Ubuntu yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Server upgrade worked fine, laptop is showing the exact same graphics problems that took so long to install 8.10. Not getting graphics booting from the LiveCD using either normal or safe graphics modes.

Direct upgrade won't work either as it throws an error about not being able to find the autorun program. Will redownload the image and reburn the disc tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Been running it since Friday on two systems. My desktop is an upgrade and my laptop was a clean install. Both are working fine. The boot time is really fast.

I also started mucking about with AWN but and not really happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Tony H

I upgraded my desktop and everything was fine except Amarok 2 , I did a clean install and everything was great , did a clean install on my laptop inspiron 6400 and had some problems with the graphics(distortion when scrolling windows ) so I went back to 8.10 , I'll give it another try in the next few days when i have more time to get the graphics working properly , definitely the best Ubuntu so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Anybody got an answer the the ext4 question above relating to data loss?

Where does it ask you do you want to have Ext4? Or does it just do it anyway?

Oracle wrote: »
    Where does it ask you do you want to have Ext4? Or does it just do it anyway?

Select manual partitioning option, then format the partitions as ext4.

OK thanks, so it's not the default then. I use the automatic partitioning.

matrim wrote: »
    I remember reading a while ago about potential for data loss with ext4 in one of the release candidates, has that been solved in the full release
    Think that's more got to do with the new file system itself rather than any specific implementation of it on a particular distribution.

I think i posted a link or said that about ext4 in earlier beta thread.

More info available here.
    Nevertheless, as a workaround, he very quickly wrote patches for Ext4 that recognise the rename() situation and ensure it behaves like Ext3, and a second procedure that uses ftruncate(). Now, however, he has provided a "proper" solution. The new ext4 mounting option "alloc_on_commit" gives Ext4 a mechanism analogous to "data=ordered" in Ext3, whereby metadata is not committed in the journal until after blocks have been allocated and the data has been written. However, this change probably won't arrive until version 2.6.30 of the kernel at the earliest.

Quote from the end of the above link.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Burned it to my CD-RW, booted up, didn't play any of my media, rebooted into Mint. :p

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Burned it to my CD-RW, booted up, didn't play any of my media, rebooted into Mint. :p

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BopNiblets wrote: »

It doesn't ship with the codecs but you can install them really easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Why, oh Why?, do they insist on the same old ugly, boring theme and bland background. It's actually rather off putting, especially when first impressions matter so much when trying to pull in the casual crowd.

Would it be so hard to ask for something more akin to this Screenshot.png when you first login.

At least the latest desktop background is less offensive than the previous one, that reminded me of the H-Block dirty protest. :D

Data security

In the tumult of the discussion, the risk of data loss in Ext4 as a result of delayed allocation once more reared its ugly head. This risk should be significantly reduced by a number of patches for the Ext4 code which have now, as planned, made their way into the main development tree. The changes do, however, have a negative effect on performance in certain situations.

The discussion on the risk of data loss led to a debate on precisely what guarantees a file system should be offering anyway. This led to the question of whether and how kernel and file systems should ensure that data does not just end up in a disk's write cache, but actually gets written in the correct sequence. This and other performance tuning questions led to a further discussion on where the role of the kernel developers in configuration stops and where fine tuning issues are better left to the Linux distributors.

Above from this: Kernel Log: What's coming in 2.6.30 - File systems: New and revamped file systems

Regards,
    J.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Why, oh Why?, do they insist on the same old ugly, boring theme and bland background. It's actually rather off putting, especially when first impressions matter so much when trying to pull in the casual crowd.

Would it be so hard to ask for something more akin to this Screenshot.png when you first login.
    True. The colours in Satanic Ubuntu are much more pleasant to the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Right well just gave this a whirl and I like it, like it alot. Will be doing a few installs of this in the coming days me thinks.

MC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just upgraded the laptop last night (xubuntu). Went flawlessly. Very impressed.

Upgraded the root partition to ext4 also just now. Can't say I notice any major improvement but it was more or less effortless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Been using it about a week now. Really liking it.

Installed 64-bit version on My XPs1530. Everything works fine out of the box. Gets to desktop in under 30 seconds from cold, which is bloody fast. Odd glitch on shutdown if an rdesktop connection is left open, or network filesystem is left mounted. Also, the volume buttons don't work.

Every other media button works, except the volumke control. And volume is always muted each time it boots from some reason. Haven't figured these out yet, but they may be related.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Installed this on an old P4 machine I had lying about and with the ext4 file system it boots really fast. :)

Advertisement