Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often should you work the same muscles?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hey there.
    Have been working out now for almost 2 months and enjoying it a lot.

I have heard that if you are doing weights (I am) to try and burn fat and lose weight (i'm a girl) that you should take a break in between each workout of maybe one day as this gives your muscles time to heal.

Is this correct? I have been going every day during the week but will break up my routine and only target each muscle group every second day if that's the best way to go.

Can anyone give me an example of what muscles to do together etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Kimia wrote: »
    Hey there.
    Have been working out now for almost 2 months and enjoying it a lot.

I have heard that if you are doing weights (I am) to try and burn fat and lose weight (i'm a girl) that you should take a break in between each workout of maybe one day as this gives your muscles time to heal.

Is this correct? I have been going every day during the week but will break up my routine and only target each muscle group every second day if that's the best way to go.

Can anyone give me an example of what muscles to do together etc?

It's a good idea to leave a day between weight lifting sessions to allow your muscles to recover. 3 days a week would be enough to lift on.

If you want to split people often split it like this:

Day 1 - Chest & Triceps
    Day 2 - Back & Biceps
    Day 3 - Legs & Shoulders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

Yep thats fine. If you target a muscle group on monday, say chest, you can lift on tuesday for a different muscle group, then do chest again the next day.
    It's a good idea to leave a day between weight lifting sessions to allow your muscles to recover. 3 days a week would be enough to lift on.

If you want to split people often split it like this:

Day 1 - Chest & Triceps
    Day 2 - Back & Biceps
    Day 3 - Legs & Shoulders

If you are only lifting 3 days a week there isnt much need for a split imo, your giving your chest a week to recover.

OP are you lifting Mon to Fri?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Guys the OP is female so there is no need for her to split her weight training down to only 3 times a week but what i will say to the OP is that try talk to an instructor in your gym and get a weight training program from him/her and if your trying to burn fat do weights 1st and cardio after as this burns more fat your energy levels are worked more doin the weights 1st so when it comes to cardio it looks into the fat storage for some energy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

No i really only do about 3 times a week. Max 4.

I just find it quite sore (and not in an achy 'good' way) to keep doing the same weights every day, not to mention boring!

Dubdude wrote: »
    Guys the OP is female so there is no need for her to split her weight training down to only 3 times a week but what i will say to the OP is that try talk to an instructor in your gym and get a weight training program from him/her and if your trying to burn fat do weights 1st and cardio after as this burns more fat your energy levels are worked more doin the weights 1st so when it comes to cardio it looks into the fat storage for some energy

Thanks Dubdude - it seems male and female training varies wildly! I don't want to work on my chest really, just my arms, back, abs & legs.

Also I heard that you can do abs pretty much every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Thanks Dubdude - it seems male and female training varies wildly! I don't want to work on my chest really, just my arms, back, abs & legs.

Ye you can do abs as much as you want but if you dont shift that layer of fat from the top of it then you wont get anywhere ie the abs wont show throught fat...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Abs are a pure endurance muscle and made for to be used regularly, that does not mean they need work every day but its not so bad to do, but other muscles need more recovery, i'd give 1 day rest minimum assuming your challenging the muscles when you work out, if full body 2 times a week would most likely be fine for you anyway then the other 1-2 days could be more focused on cardio training..

Dont bother splitting the muscle groups up unless your doing loads of weights and need to cut down on the time your spending, i'd doubt thats the case so full body 2 maybe 3 times a week is fine.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Thanks guys. Yep I'll well aware of that 'layer of fat' over the abs so I'm on a better eating program (won't call it a diet) and am also doing cardio - speed interval training. Not much but about 30mins every time I'm at the gym.

Dubdude wrote: »
    Guys the OP is female so there is no need for her to split her weight training down to only 3 times a week

I agree she doesnt need a split if she is working 3 days a week. The fact that she is female really has no bearing on whether to split or not.

training doesnt vary wildly at all.
    you should train your muscles in balance so if you are training your back, you should train the opposite muscle your chest.

OP do you have a program at the moment?
    If so what is it?
    Full body 3 days a week is fine.

Yep I do:

10mins warm up on rower
    Weights (3 sets of 20)
    Abs - machines (crunch & rotary)
    Leg Press
    Chest Press
    Seated Row
    Lat pull down

then 15 mins of high intensity speed interval on the stepper.

• Advertisement

Yep I do:

10mins warm up on rower
    Weights (3 sets of 20)
    Abs - machines (crunch & rotary)
    Leg Press
    Chest Press
    Seated Row
    Lat pull down

You've been doing this for two months? No wonder your bored.
    Are you increaseing the weights?

20 reps is a bit high, try doing 10 reps at a heavier weight.
    Try increasing the weight you lift each week.

at this stage you could move off the machine really.

you could do

Dumbbell Lunges
    Dumbbell Bench press or pressups
    Hamstring curl
    Dumbbell bent over row
    Shoulder press
    Lat pulldown

Abs
    Bicycle crunch
    Plank 30 secs hold X 3

Did an instructor give you that program?

Weights (3 sets of 20)

Do away with the 3 x 20 hun-better off focusing on lower reps and getting more results in the same time..

vary from 3 x 8 3 x 12 and 3 x 15

then you'll hit your muscles completly and tone much better than the endurance work of 3 x 20, better off doing cardio for your endurance..

I can't go any higher on the weight because that's the max i can do! That is my MAX. (I only started training for the first time ever 2 mths ago)

Yea a trainer gave me that program. I prefer the machines as i don't like free weights, and I'm happy with the weights part but it's just that it feels like i'm straining them too much if I do it every day without a break.

The cardio is very boring and the hardest part of my routine so i think i'll mix it up a bit. HATE speed intervals.

I can't go any higher on the weight because that's the max i can do! That is my MAX. (I only started training for the first time ever 2 mths ago)

No, its the max you can do for 20 reps, but if you drop the reps you will be able to lift more and get way more benefits, 20 reps is so out dated and im suprised any instructor is giving that rep range to a client in this day and age, if i ever did it would be as a pure change of routine and not thats it..

and stop doing them every day, definetly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chopley

The cardio is very boring and the hardest part of my routine so i think i'll mix it up a bit. HATE speed intervals.

I found doing cardio in the gym soul-destroying, so I took up running. I also need milestones to keep me motivated, so I take part in organised runs every now and again and train towards them (although by no means to a fanatical extent). Having a running partner is also a major motivator. If running isn't for you, there are plenty of other cardio sports. Find one that you like and put the fun back into it!

cowzerp wrote: »
    No, its the max you can do for 20 reps, but if you drop the reps you will be able to lift more and get way more benefits, 20 reps is so out dated and im suprised any instructor is giving that rep range to a client in this day and age, if i ever did it would be as a pure change of routine and not thats it..

and stop doing them every day, definetly

Really? So I should up by, say 5 kg, and do maybe 10 each time instead of 20?

Why is it outdated?

Really? So I should up by, say 5 kg, and do maybe 10 each time instead of 20?

Why is it outdated?

Yeh thats exactly it. you lift a heavier weight, but you do less reps.

20 rep scheme is used for endurance, it was given to women because of fear of building 'bulk' muscle using the lower rep scheme. However, testosterone is required to build big muscle like that, so its unfounded.

Using the lower rep scheme with heavier weights will yield better results.

The free weights will help work more muscle in the same movements, and are a progression from machines.

Advertisement