Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

An interesting take on my post.

I didn't mention that the east west traffic would change from its current direction, merely that there would be a split with the north bound traffic following the purple line.

Also your definition of "Shouldn't be anywhere near" is interesting. The T below circled in red and the east-west traffic lanes in purple would seem pretty near to me, but maybe my near and your near are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fair enough

Fair enough, my reading of your post was that traffic would be side by side at that point and using the T as a divider. If I read that incorrectly, fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Interested to know if we’ll get a full retaining wall on the north side. The sound side is almost complete.

todays video update also references the new sign, red route north, purple east-west

Todays newsletter noted that a number of new links will open in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Really can't wait for this to be finished, from my perspective travelling from East Cork to city direction and back every day, I don't think we're too many months away from having minimal roadworks on that route.

I dont think it needs a wall, that section of roundabout underneath it will eventually be gone so i would assume they will just back fill the space into a more gentle incline. I assume that is the cheaper option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is it essentially saying that wherever there are gantries will be the new links? Or at least in part?

Would guess that n25w to tunnel, city to tunnel will be new, maybe the n25w to little island slip to the new flyover also. Maybe close the existing slip on n25w in full and m8 bound goes to other roundabout?

Excited now, drove over it on way to city and progress was amazing.

My thoughts too. It’ll be potentially difficult to maintain traffic flow and build and embankment without a retaining wall at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

That's what I was going to say. There would need to be traffic up-and-over the top while they build that embankment. I'm not sure if it's possible. Is there something like a temporary retaining wall structure or something?

• Advertisement

Might be workable with the roundabout down to just 1 lane. They reduced the roundabout from 3 to 2 lanes around the embankment build at the start of the week.

I think complete free flow exiting the tunnel may be achievable by the end of June. M8 South to City and N25 West to M8 North will need to be facilitated to allow this to happen.

Do you think? Tunnel can't free-flow until it goes to the East of the roundabout, because of Dublin-to-Tivoli traffic crossing.

Tunnel won't go East of the roundabout until near the very end, I would have thought.

All it will need is

• City to tunnel loop to open
    • M8 South to City movement to be catered to. This will require the dumbbell to N25 west link to open
    • N25 West to M8 North can be catered by going to the Dunkettle Roundabout and doing a 180 and then take a left up the new slip road.

All those happen then it’s all set to go. June might be adventurous but it won’t take much longer than that I’d say.

Should be interesting: I hadn't thought they'd do that extra N25W to M8N vis the Dunkettle Roundabout, but it is technically viable as you say. Little Island West to Tivoli would be a problem, but maybe they could just put signs up banning that movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Only thing on that is I can't see how they do the tie in for dumbell to n25w with traffic on the existing slip....now do they divert them to older flyover to then go back as a full diversion could be an option.

Agree that it won't take too long after June though, so a short term diversion either way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

As I think I've mentioned before, a lot of this hinges on the Little Island junction to N25W link to be open. Dublin - Tivoli traffic must use the roundabout until that link is done. ie: The roundabout can't be closed off and links opened finally until that link is done.

That link can't be done until the current N25W - Tunnel slip is closed, as it must be demolished for Little Island - N25W slip to be built.

So the next thing to do really is to send the N25W - tunnel traffic down the new roads to the south of the current N25 and plug them into the roundabout with traffic lights. That still has quite a lot of work to do on it if you look at Dronehawks videos.

I think the next big opening will be:

Tivoli - N40 Tunnel slip plugged into the roundabout with traffic lights

N25W to Little Island part of the new junction opened

N25W to tunnel traffic sent along new alignment to roundabout with traffic lights

N40N to Cork slip opened (though I still maintain that won't make too much difference to traffic flow yet)

After that lot I can see in my head how the rest will be done.

"So the next thing to do really is to send the N25W - tunnel traffic down the new roads to the south of the current N25 and plug them into the roundabout with traffic lights. That still has quite a lot of work to do on it"

Yeah I'm passing through a lot and it has a good bit to go yet.

Agree with your phasing too, I think it looks like you're right.

There’s a new alignment approaching the interchange from the east? Assume it’s a very minor change?

No idea but the slip from Little Island to the tunnel is looking pretty advanced to me, maybe they have some tie-in works at the end of that to be done.

• Advertisement

They seem to be sending out announcements pretty much every day based on what surfacing they are doing overnight. This morning the sliproads coming off the N25W towards the tunnel went slightly further back along the mainline.

Team seem to be putting capping stones on the embankment retaining wall at the moment. An extremely slow process by the looks of things. Last 2 days at it and there’s a bit to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Cameras were offline last night and again this morning !!

Did they switch them offline when the tunnel closed yesterday evening due to that broken down lorry? (That was a laugh and a half)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭niloc1951

They seem to be on now and again but off at the moment although there is a static picture, the shadows now are different from earlier this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Even when all the money is spent and Dunkettle is finished a broken down lorry will still be a single point of failure for the entire city.

NRR is needed badly.

Yeah, the upgrade wouldn't have helped with last nights problems. Apart maybe from everyone coming out of the tunnel in traffic not having to do hillstarts all the time!

Not much given away in todays newsletter.

• Surfacing works to now focus on slips south of the existing N25
    • New links to open later this summer

The link from N25 to tunnel is looking very advanced now. It's tarred and looks to be somewhat close to opening.

• Advertisement

The slip coming out of Little Island / Tunnel Management building is bisecting it. A bit of work required there.

That slip will need to close and there won’t be any way to exit Little Islsnd around there and go towards the Tunnel or City.

Advertisement