Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Restoration Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 22-04-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm mid 20's and unfortunately 2009 has seen me cross that horrible line.

What has up until now been a concealableredface.gif frontal recision is now complemented by a slight-medium thinning surrounding the swirl on the crown of my head and it hurts (badly)frown.gif.

So with the numerous hair restoration stories I've being hearing I was hoping that there might be some kind folk out there willing to share their recent (past 2 years) experiences. Cost is a factor so please comment on the figures too.

Think I'm in between stage 2-3 of the link;
    http://www.botanical-hairloss-treatm...-hair-loss.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

You could have just bumped your old thread instead of making a second one! :rolleyes:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543341

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Poirot

Hey Vinny,
    There is a lot of snake oil treatments out there...lasers etc...and I personally would be wary of taking any hairloss pill as some of these (e.g. Finasteride) are reported to reduce mens libido :-(
    I use Minoxidil - same as Rogaine but at a fraction of the price - I get it from an Irish website www.hairagain.ie (http://www.hairagain.ie).
    3 months for 39 Euros.

Within approx. 3 months hair loss stopped and regrowth started.
    This doesn't work for everyone, but I am happy with the results atm - to the extent that people have started to notice and comment positively.
    I don't have a full head of hair and don't really expect to, but I have more now than I did 5 years ago !
    Worth a shot for that price.

Other than that, there are lots of transplant options around now, but you will need 10K in your back pocket for the proper job from my research.
    Good luck!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I've tried Nizoral, Kirkland Minoxidil and Finasteride (Proscar) at the same time for nearly 3 years and to be honest, unless you are a great responder to the treatments it's a long, drawn-out situation that can't be reversed. Perhaps the above treatments slowed down the process for me but at this stage I see no use in spending anymore. The only solution I've seen, self-esteem-wise, would be Toppik, but that's just a temporary soluation of course. If you've never heard of it, give it a google, if you've fairly thick hair it'll be a godsend for a few years.

Poirots advice is very sound, try out the treatments and see how they work for you but look out for Proscar's side-effects (I had to drop it after they started to really kick in and was not worth it at all). Also, and this goes for Poirot as well, the best price for Kirkland is on this site http://www.minoxidil-direct.co.uk/?gclid=CKig-fjvlJsCFVIB4wodukQzpQ

If the treatments don't work for you consider Toppik for a while and from there understand you can grin and bear it, try a hair system (which I'm fairly sure my mate actually has, will investigate further!) or HT, if you have the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

When Mrs.Goat said that my crown was becoming visible I made one purchase and my life has been easy ever since.
    I don't think this is the advice you are seeking OP but it has saved me an incalculable amount of money and fustration and I think that you should at least concider it as a possibality. I bought a hair clipper and gave myself a #3 cut.
    Now hairwashing takes moments, drying is a wipe with a towel. A trim once a fortnight keeps it under control and the occasional fine tune with a sissors for when you need to look sharp.
    Just my 2 cent.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

True but not everyone's attitude is "just shave it off" as a. they might have always worn their hair long forever and want to ease things in rather than take the plunge or b. they have had a shaved head before and it didn't suit their face shape at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

True but not everyone's attitude is "just shave it off" as a. they might have always worn their hair long forever and want to ease things in rather than take the plunge or b. they have had a shaved head before and it didn't suit their face shape at all
    Yep, true enough. :) I was just offering an alternitave viewpoint.

I was one of those long hair forever types but when the moment came I took the plunge rather then try to salvage it for a few more years. I found that just getting rid of it all was the simplest solution to my thinning/balding/receiding hairline. That and a hat. :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

My brother in law was using eye drops for a medical condition and an unexpected side effect was that his eyelashes grew to be really long an luscious, like a donkey's. The drug is being rebranded for hair growth and is undergoing clinical trials, so there will be something soon!
    There was also a thing on the late late about thinning hair treatments recently.

Well actually Hair Multiplication will be the next step, it involves no surgery or need to get hair from the donor area as far as I'm aware, also its a process that only needs to be done once (as hair transplants can still need a few extra procedures down the line). But its probably about 10 years off and I'd say would be about double the cost of a hair transplant

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi All.

I have been using Rogaine 5% for the past six months and I'm not entirley sure :confused:

A part of me thinks its working, but a part of me thinks its doing nothing.

I have noticed a slow down in the amount of hair (my hair BTW) i find on my keyboard in work etc.

My hair kinda looks ok as well.

Now I know that its a 50/50 chance, it either works or it doesn't.
    But are there any sreal success stories, and any "it did nothing" stories.

Also for those who thought it was useless, when did you give up the ghost, and spend the money on other stuff :)

Also any other users of Minoxidil, thats sounds alright, price wise!!!

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

vinnyryan wrote: »
    I'm mid 20's and unfortunately 2009 has seen me cross that horrible line.

What has up until now been a concealableredface.gif frontal recision is now complemented by a slight-medium thinning surrounding the swirl on the crown of my head and it hurts (badly)frown.gif.

So with the numerous hair restoration stories I've being hearing I was hoping that there might be some kind folk out there willing to share their recent (past 2 years) experiences. Cost is a factor so please comment on the figures too.

Think I'm in between stage 2-3 of the link;
    http://www.botanical-hairloss-treatm...-hair-loss.gif

NW3 is nothing to worry about yet if you're not diffusing. Jude Law is probably a nw3 and I doubt most people would notice his hairloss, nevermind considering him to be bald.

If you are only in your mid-20s Vinny, then I think that you're far too young for a hair transplant.
    Are you diffusing, or just receding?

(I posted a bit more info on hair transplants on this other thread here:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055639316

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ThisIsDan

Poirot wrote: »

Within approx. 3 months hair loss stopped and regrowth started.
    This doesn't work for everyone, but I am happy with the results atm - to the extent that people have started to notice and comment positively.
    I don't have a full head of hair and don't really expect to, but I have more now than I did 5 years ago !
    Worth a shot for that price.

:D

I had exactly the same experience. With minoxidil, it takes a bit of commitment to put it on your head every day but if you're committed to it the hair does stop falling out and regrow. I bought mine from www.regrowth.ie. About a tenner a month if you go for their 6 month deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

ThisIsDan wrote: »
    I had exactly the same experience. With minoxidil, it takes a bit of commitment to put it on your head every day but if you're committed to it the hair does stop falling out and regrow. I bought mine from www.regrowth.ie. About a tenner a month if you go for their 6 month deal.

How do you buy this from this website??

There is no option to purchase it??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I actually got good results from Rogaine, but the problem is that it doesn't stop hair falling out...it has regrown quite a bit of my hair but only some form of anti-androgen will stop existing hair falling out...

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi All.

I have been using Rogaine 5% for the past six months and I'm not entirley sure :confused:

A part of me thinks its working, but a part of me thinks its doing nothing.

I have noticed a slow down in the amount of hair (my hair BTW) i find on my keyboard in work etc.

My hair kinda looks ok as well.

Now I know that its a 50/50 chance, it either works or it doesn't.
    But are there any sreal success stories, and any "it did nothing" stories.

Also for those who thought it was useless, when did you give up the ghost, and spend the money on other stuff :)

Also any other users of Minoxidil, thats sounds alright, price wise!!!

Thanks in advance.

A simple check as to how effective Monoxidil is - stop using it for 2/3 weeks - when I do, I notice a lot more hair in the shower tray in the morning than I am comfortable with - that gives me reason to continue.
    I don't think it is contributing to noticeable regrowth - but it certainly does stop hair loss for me.
    I am just sorry I didn't start using it 10 years ago !

How do you buy this from this website??

There is no option to purchase it??:(

Try here - http://www.hairagain.ie/

About 15 Euros/month for 6 month supply.

I find that 6 months supply usually lasts me 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Poirot wrote: »
    Try here - http://www.hairagain.ie/

About 15 Euros/month for 6 month supply.

I find that 6 months supply usually lasts me 9 months.

This link does not work :(

Im looking to get rogaine foam as i hear its the best.

can anyone help me? i wanna buy from a secure website and trusty one

Advertisement