Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old phrases that you want to resurrect.

Options
  • 22-04-2009 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I'm reading Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde at the moment, and at the very start of the book, one man is telling a story to another man and he replies
    "Yes, I know," said Utterson; "I know it must seem strange. The fact is, if I do not ask you the name of the other party, it is because I know it already. You see, Richard, your tale has gone home. If you have been inexact in any point, you had better correct it."
    the phrase that I liked was
    your tale has gone home

That's a lovely way to describe a phenomenon that all of us have experienced at one point or another: you tell a story about someone, and then you find that the person you are telling knows the people in the story.

As happened to me:
    The_Minister: X is a bastard. What a bastard. *continue in that vein*
    Girl: X is my cousin
    The_Minister: .....
    *Deep intake of breath from everyone*
    Everyone: .....
    The _Minister: He's still a bastard.

What phrases do you wish were still used today, and which phrases would you like to see return to common usage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

"When poverty comes in the door, Love flies out the window"

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Fu*k a duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

What phrases do you wish were still used today, and which phrases would you like to see return to common usage?

My dad always used the expression " Me Oul Flower" when my mam was alive.

I never knew what it meant but it seemed to be an endearment of sorts to herself and their friends.

He never said it again after she died, so I guess it was a phrase that was special to both of them.

Not the usual AH response, but the OP got me remembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

"He puts it all the way up me gowl"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I thought we'd have it off tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Gammy.

I remember when everything was gammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

grasshopa wrote: »
    Gammy.

I remember when everything was gammy!

Me too. Somehow everything just got banjaxed along the way and great words like gammy fell by the wayside. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The phrase Yeah, right! said without irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I shifted your one last night!

where the hell did some one get shift from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'm reading Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde at the moment, and at the very start of the book, one man is telling a story to another man and he replies
    the phrase that I liked was .

That's a lovely way to describe a phenomenon that all of us have experienced at one point or another: you tell a story about someone, and then you find that the person you are telling knows the people in the story.

As happened to me:
    The_Minister: X is a bastard. What a bastard. *continue in that vein*
    Girl: X is my cousin
    The_Minister: .....
    *Deep intake of breath from everyone*
    Everyone: .....
    The _Minister: He's still a bastard.

Now how unlike you that was. ;)

It's not a phrase per sé, but I always think that language has become a bit terse and lost some of the florid qualities that once would have been de rigeur.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Quit jivin' with me, tuurrrkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Donny5 wrote: »
    The phrase Yeah, right! said without irony.

Good luck with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I shifted your one last night!

where the hell did some one get shift from ?

We say "shift" in Galway.

It's better than "snog" which is yet another crap term imported from Britain.

Which is something that really irks me, the import of such terms E.g. the use of "mate" (very common in the soccer and djing fora).

Why can't we remain who we are and keep our own phrases and stop using others.

Our individuality will be swallowed whole one of these days.

It's quite sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭owenmakken

Seig Heil mein Fuher

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

owenmakken wrote: »
    Seig Heil mein Fuher

Das rereg poster is ein nuisance poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

tech77 wrote: »
    Good luck with that one.

Yeah, right!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You taffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Gammy was never really gammy, it was game, as in to have "a game leg". God only know why the Irish, possibly only we Dubs, pronounced it gam-e.

Main Entry: game Part of Speech: adjective Definition: debilitated Synonyms: ailing, bad, crippled, deformed, disabled, incapacitated, injured, lame, maimed, weak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

The head on you and the the price of Turnips...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Referring to the aesthetic qualities of a woman...

"It's like her face was on fire and someone put her out with a shovel..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A penny looking down on a ha'penny.

A tuppence ha'penny piece of junk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Caoimhín wrote: »
    The head on you and the the price of Turnips...

No. No. No.

It's:
    What's that got to do with the price of turnips?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

We had such a gay time.
    I like the word 'gay' and I want it back. Come to think of it I like the word 'queer' too.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

OldGoat wrote: »
    We had such a gay time.
    I like the word 'gay' and I want it back. Come to think of it I like the word 'queer' too.

Totally agree.

When I was young I remember people referring to things / people as "queer looking". It was meant as strange and not the way it used today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Come-back to everything

"And so's your face"

I revived it for a weekend and firstly it made everyone laugh, then bored and then angry.

I have no idea where this supposed "line" is so how am I supposed to know if I've crossed it. Mind you, I found a good indication of when you have crossed the line is the frequency of punches to the arm...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

I'd hate to think we started using all the old words again... NOTTTT!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

kraggy wrote: »
    We say "shift" in Galway.

It's better than "snog" which is yet another crap term imported from Britain.

Its also better than meet which seems to be the norm in Dublin.

I remember a time when I was younger and I was in crumlin hospital after a pretty bad fall. I was about ten at the time and was in ICU for a week. Anyways long story short, when I got out I got put into a room on my own as I was older than most of the others there. One evening two girls walked into my room and asked me if I wanted to "meet" their friends Tracey. Me, being a nice country boy said yes, as I knew I'd be there for at least another fortnight, and knowing someone else on the ward wouldn't be any harm.

So I walked over to her room about an hour later and as soon as I walked in, her two friends got up and walked out. Wondering if I brought a smell with me I thought it was very weird, but sat down anyway. Then she just pounced. There I was sitting on a chair, shifting a girl I'd never met till ten seconds ago and never even spoke to. Was a real weird experience at the time.

For ages after that I thought all Dublin girls were easy and they just shifted everyone straight off. That was until I later found out that "meet" in Dublin actually means shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Not many use the word "poxy" anymore, and I used to know people that found it quite offensive, God knows why.

Mr. Burns is the king of words/ phrases that have gone out of use ("post haste" or "Ningcum-poop") and a few that were never word phrases (" telephonica machine" or "learn-a-torium").

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

My great grandmother had one for someone who was fond of a drop: He/She could drink a path through a lake...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

jaysus you're notas green as you are cabbage lookin.

love that phrase.

Advertisement