Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player is Live!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Sorry scratch that, some of what I could see was apparently just left over from my session with the 3IRL datamodem. So:

using 3 Irl datamodem roaming: can see everything (NO Rearenders) as though I were in Dublin.

Using TalkTalk UK: all but domestic productions disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I just had a couple of friends check from different locales .... refused access due to geo check.

regards.

I just had a couple of friends check from different locales .... refused access due to geo check.

regards.

Yes, confirmed not working in Spain but equally confirmed to be working, with Irish content only in both the north and the UK (at least for TalkTalk customers).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

culabula wrote: »
    Yes, confirmed not working in Spain but equally confirmed to be working, with Irish content only in both the north and the UK (at least for TalkTalk customers).

I had one confirmation of not working for UK ..... don't know the ISP

I had one confirmation of not working for UK ..... don't know the ISP

Then I wonder if this is now working for TalkTalk customers everywhere? This would certainly cause me to guffaw rather loudly! (LOL).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Personally I think it is a reasonable comprise for RTE to have two different versions.

The Irish version that has everything including foreign content.
    An international version that carries only Irish content for ex-pats.

Hope the international version is made available to everyone, not just people in the UK.

bk wrote: »
    Personally I think it is a reasonable comprise for RTE to have two different versions.

The Irish version that has everything including foreign content.
    An international version that carries only Irish content for ex-pats.

Hope the international version is made available to everyone, not just people in the UK.

I agree totally -it's just that I would have expected an announcement of sorts from RTÉ.

It isn't working outside Ireland and Britain and I am not even clear that anyone except TalkTalk customers (owing to my intervention) are accessing this on the island of Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Just mailed this to onlinetechs@rte.ie

Hello,
    When will you have an RTE International Player up and running?

RTE International TV was put on hold so the least that can be done is an RTE International Player, think of all that had to leave Eire and all that will now leave, please give us something from the Ole Sod.

Please forward this to someone with a bit of clout.

Thank you very much.

JD&co.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Greenman wrote: »

RTE International TV was put on hold so the least that can be done is an RTE International Player, think of all that had to leave Eire and all that will now leave, please give us something from the Ole Sod.

Maybe I'm just tired.. but I found that very hard to read. :(

Greenman wrote: »
    Just mailed this to onlinetechs@rte.ie

Hello,
    When will you have an RTE International Player up and running?

Please forward this to someone with a bit of clout.

Thank you very much.

JD&co.

Ah, the art of letter-writing is not dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

The problem with accessing RTÉ Player in Northern Ireland is that residential BT Broadband customers have a variable IP address that changes every time you turn on and off the modem. This variable IP address incorrectly states that users in Northern Ireland are from England or Scotland. If you go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ this will tell you what region it is incorrectly claiming you are from. Due to this fact the RTÉ servers are being told you are not in Northern Ireland and you are not granted access.

The only way to get this changed is for customers to make official complaints to BT to get this changed. If you contact them they will originally tell you that it is not their problem despite the fact that it quite obviously is, however you can then ask to register a complaint. If enough people do this they will have to take action and make an arrangement with RTÉ to allow NI residents to access the RTÉ content.

Been having the same kind if problem with Virgin Media, (also up north) who initially said they didn't support this service. When I complained, they changed their response to, "The problem is with RTE, it's not an ISP issue".
    I contacted RTE again, still awaiting a reply.

MACHEAD wrote: »
    Been having the same kind if problem with Virgin Media, (also up north) who initially said they didn't support this service. When I complained, they changed their response to, "The problem is with RTE, it's not an ISP issue".
    I contacted RTE again, still awaiting a reply.

Well, I badgered TalkTalk until they sorted it out. Now I have access to the player, even on my PS3, but it does seem to be a tailored version.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

ukproxyserver.co.uk sent this mail out earlier,
    I use them for the bbc iplayer and it works great.
    Might be an option for ex-pats etc.
    IRISH PROXY : FREE TRIAL OFFER

We also recently launched our Irish Proxy Server, technically compatible with RTE Player and TV3 Catchup .*

The current IRISH trial runs until Friday 19th June 2009 at 16:00 BST (UK Time) and you can use the following access details:

IP Address: 217.115.112.231
    Port: 80

Username: irishproxyserver.com
    Password: freetrial

http://www.ukproxyserver.co.uk/irish-proxy-server/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gavobrien

Does anyone know if it streams flv files or the video in h.264 like YouTube does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 motd2k

It's streaming h.264 over RTMP from a quick check

motd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.overplay.net - VPN for TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

I got a PS3 recently and the RTE player worked fine, yesterday I connected a HDMI cable between the PS3 and the tv and the RTE player isn't working this evening, would this have anything to do with it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RTE are now running RTE International Player which plays only RTE produced content to users outside of Rep Of Ireland. Handy for people in the UK etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cabaal wrote: »
    RTE are now running RTE International Player which plays only RTE produced content to users outside of Rep Of Ireland. Handy for people in the UK etc :)

Cheers Cabaal, I can confirm it's working in England :)
    Oh and thanks to the person or people at RTE who made this decision, next best thing to a dedicated TV channel :) Good job!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Oh and thanks to the person or people at RTE who made this decision, next best thing to a dedicated TV channel :) Good job!!

Do you know if you can watch all content or only news? the company I work for uses UK proxies and the other day I could only see news, did anyone test in any other countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Anyone got a link for it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Ranicand wrote: »
    Anyone got a link for it?

Not sure if International playes is the same but should be here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

nava wrote: »
    Do you know if you can watch all content or only news? the company I work for uses UK proxies and the other day I could only see news, did anyone test in any other countries?

Well it seems to be most but not all home-grown content. Yesterday I watched the Late Late Show (I know :o) and Operation Transformation.

If you are on UK proxies then you'll probably only see that sort of material. However, if you are on UK proxies you may be able to watch BBC iPlayer where you are :) Every cloud has a silver lining... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Noticed they are now showing Desperate Housewives on their live player. Will it be the same for Lost?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well it seems to be most but not all home-grown content. Yesterday I watched the Late Late Show (I know :o) and Operation Transformation.

If you are on UK proxies then you'll probably only see that sort of material. However, if you are on UK proxies you may be able to watch BBC iPlayer where you are :) Every cloud has a silver lining... :)

Agreed,
    To be honest on a IP you actually get the best deal as you get all the BBC stuff and news and stuff from Ireland which to be honest is all you really want :)
    Noticed they are now showing Desperate Housewives on their live player. Will it be the same for Lost?

Only RTE will know this as it depends on the License agreements RTE have with the makers of the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Does anyone have a problem with the Rte player hanging at certain times , mostly at night time around 9pm onwards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Cabaal wrote: »
    used it in california last week, bit sluggish though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 donnyd

Am going to be over in England for next two months or so.

Does anyone know how to improve the quality of the download speed?

Thanks

donnyd wrote: »
    Am going to be over in England for next two months or so.

Does anyone know how to improve the quality of the download speed?

Thanks

Download speed will depend on the speed of Broadband you'#ll be using in the UK,

Ok thanks.

So there is no real way to quicken things up then if broadband is slower.

Did update Firefox and seems to be working bit better now.

• Advertisement

Also,
    This is a stupid question but is there any way to access the Ireland only content on the RTE player when in UK?

Advertisement