Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco..would you boycott them?.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tesco ftw, by far the best shopping place thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think the best thing that could be done is to introduce fixed time contracts in work. Say a 3 year contract that both sides review at the end of and agree a new one or not. Remember these people agreed a contract when they took the job. The employer offered certain incentives for them to give up their time and they accepted. If they wan't to change a contract you have to give the other party an incentive to agree. Fixed term contracts would change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

would I boycott tesco? no ****ing way, I love tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm boycotting Tesco. It's got absolutely, categorically, I mean nothing to do with going shopping in ASDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Cardinal Blue

I would'nt boycott them .I shop around,depending on whos offering the best deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

No way, my options are Lidl cheap but food is really bad in my opinion, Superquinn which is very good but far to expensive for me, same with dunnes. I buy most of my food for the week in the butchers and freeze it to use throughout the week which works great, quality at good prices surprized more people don't do this and the rest it's tesco for everything, they have everything I need in one place, at great prices and to be honest the two near me are very clean and well stocked. I don't see the point here at all.

Fair play to them for getting ahead of the rest and making a profit i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Used to love Tesco but rarely shop there now.

Really dislike the way that they lured people in with tesco value prices and then sneakily put them up.

Compare your receipts today with 6 months ago. You'll be shocked.

They used to be way cheaper than Dunnes but now Dunnes are nearly as cheap, if not cheaper.

Gonna start shopping more in Lidl and Aldi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

pwd wrote: »
    so many opinions so little information.

Did i miss it, or am i right in thinking that no-one knows what the suggested change is? -- So anything that is said is based on assumption, one way or another.

Please refrain from posting on this thread until some more information is known.

Four pages before some actually made another attempt to find out what the employees may lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,874 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

pwd wrote: »
    so many opinions so little information.

Did i miss it, or am i right in thinking that no-one knows what the suggested change is? -- So anything that is said is based on assumption, one way or another.

Please refrain from posting on this thread until some more information is known.

I know all the facts I need to know. They're cheaper than the alternative. If they've to screw their workers to keep doing that then so be it.

What's that word em-path-y.... Never heard of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I don't shop in Tesco. Not because they are a big evil british monopolistic {insert outrage here}company, but because the food tends to be of extremely poor quality, they are not the cheapest even amongst the multiples, and I find many of them to be unhygienic, with out of date food on the shelves.

Aldi for me now, with a good butcher for meat and fish, and Dunnes for the stuff that Aldi doesn't stock. I'm saving money, and getting better quality products. A no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I boycott all the Irish supermarkets TBH. Do most of my shopping in the north every month and freeze whatever i have to. Just pick up a few vegetables from the local grocer every week. We keep hearing of "the prices coming down" all over the country but let's face it there not. My wifes bro does all his grocery shopping in Tesco in Dundrum and he say's the prices have if anything increased over the last 6 months. Will start to shop for groceries down here again when they lower their prices to compare favourably with the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Mandate has warned that Tesco's plans to remove established terms and conditions for staff moving to a new store at the same location in Cork could have nationwide implications.

Well it looks like the strike is on,just announced on RTE that workers at tesco store in cork are on strike.I wonder if will it escalate in the current economic situation or just die a death.
    As someone has already said "theres plenty of unemployed people who will do their jobs".

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/112-01.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ì gave up shopping in Tesco some time ago. Their own brand products are cheaper than other supermarkets (bar Lidl and Aldi) but i found branded products in general to be more expensive than Dunnes.

Having lived in a few places over the years and used different stores, Clearwater, Blanch, Nutgrove, Dundrum, i found their customer service to be quite poor in certain stores. I shop in Dunnes now.

WRT to this issue however, im completely against what Tesco are suggesting doing, regardless of what T&C's the employees have. it sets a VERY bad precedent for other companies. You only have to look at the same work practise McDonalds uses in the US to see the real effect it has. (Eric Schlosser covers it in his book Fast Food Nation)

Although I dont believe its illegal it's something that needs to be covered by legislation. You can only make someone redundant if you are making the position redundant. Im sure those individuals will be replaced if they are made redundant so it doesnt really fit the classic definition IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Oddly enough, I just switched from Tesco to Dunnes yesterday after the allegation that Tesco is slowly removing many Irish-produced goods from its stores. Whether or not it's actually true or not doesn't bother me, as I found the Dunnes store in Cornellscourt to be much nicer than the Tesco in Stillorgan I used to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Tesco says the decision was taken following vociferous complaints from the public, including one from a local Ulster Unionist councillor.

I blame the blinkered members of the public and that Ulster councillor.
    Hey 9 year old kid take off that yellow top it offends me....FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

I think tescos is a great store to shop in...but for the sake of the workers I would boycott them!

A working class hero is something to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I dont really care about any workers in Tesco unless I knew them. I will always shop in there as its the cheapest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Live close to Douglas in Cork, and will be in Douglas today. Certainly won't be going near Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Not sure of the exact details of the new contract but think they were guaranteed 5 or so hours of overtime every week that payed double time. Losing that by moving across the road will more or less mean a big pay cut for those involved.
    Some of the stuff tescos does is unreal and is never heard of at all. It is true as someone said earlier that they are starting to replace Irish goods with foreign ones in order to keep their profit up and at the same time prices have slowly crept up the last year.
    Also at least one big store in the country that actually turned off the heat in the shop around January or February for three full days in an effort to cut spending. Fine if your only in and out shopping, but imagine sitting at the tills in those conditions.

Don't work in Tescos myself but have got this information from a very reliable source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

tesco are removing irish products from the shelves
    they say its to homoginise their irish and uk product lines.
    i.e. what you see in tesco belfast, birmingham and birr will essentially be the same.

untill now i had nothing against tesco, it being a public company means anyone could buy into it,

but this means irish jobs... for real!

i dont care if they undercut dunnes/supervalue, i wont be shopping there for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That doesnt stop Irish products from being sold elsewhere I suppose. Killmeaden for example, I can buy that at any of my local grocers nearly. And Kerrygold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

Kilmeaden is a village in Waterford where the cheese is from. Until they closed the factory and moved it to Glanbia headquarters....not so local after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

@cnote: I don't believe in buying stuff just because it's Irish if it means the stuff is crap. For example, my local tesco only sells own-brand rubber gloves and Killeen rubber gloves. Both are crap. I have to go to Superquinn to get Marigolds. Ironically this means going to an Irish supermarket to get an english product because the English supermarket only has an inferior Irish product. Should I buy Irish rubber gloves? Not if they are sh1t. Sorry. If you want people to buy your product then make it the product they prefer, it's that simple.
    I hate shopping in tesco anyway, for all the reasons other posters have pointed out, and particularly because I work in a shop where customer service is taken seriously and I have no patience for ignorant f**cks who treat customers badly. Do I always feel like smiling at customers and doing everything I can to help them go away happy? No. Do I do it anyway? Hell yes, it's my job. Tesco workers get paid more than me and they are just taking the piss. The only ones who are ever polite are the foreign ones. They probably have to deal with a lot more crap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

c-note wrote: »
    i.e. what you see in tesco belfast, birmingham and birr will essentially be the same.

untill now i had nothing against tesco, it being a public company means anyone could buy into it,

i dont care if they undercut dunnes/supervalue, i wont be shopping there for the foreseeable.

I admire your principles you have clearly done the research. I do not think your social nationalist stence will be agreed by many as the buzz seems to be I will mbuy where is cheapest!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

c-note wrote: »

I also feel strongly about this. Tesco have lost me as a customer aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I would, but it's the only place that stocks my dogs' favourite food. It's all I buy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NEEVYYYY

boycotted them before, there customer policy is useless if you complain via emails ect, no response , so not a fan! and from what ive heard not great to work for so not supprising staff are not happy! your having a good day if you get a smile out of any of them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

NEEVYYYY wrote: »
    boycotted them before, there customer policy is useless if you complain via emails ect, no response , so not a fan! and from what ive heard not great to work for so not supprising staff are not happy! your having a good day if you get a smile out of any of them!
    If they're changing the pre-96er's contracts to the contracts everyone else is on then fair play to them. The pre-96ers do sweet fúck all, get paid a lot to do it and are untouchable.
    chosen1 wrote: »
    Not sure of the exact details of the new contract but think they were guaranteed 5 or so hours of overtime every week that payed double time. Losing that by moving across the road will more or less mean a big pay cut for those involved.
    Some of the stuff tescos does is unreal and is never heard of at all. It is true as someone said earlier that they are starting to replace Irish goods with foreign ones in order to keep their profit up and at the same time prices have slowly crept up the last year.

That is only in stores close to the border and they are doing a £1 to €1 exchange rate on those products so if something is £3 up north it'll be €3 in one of these border stores. So they are doing it to lower prices. At least that is how I think it is going to be, the prices are definitely lower though. It's a bit odd as now I imagine they have 2 prices across the country, the border price and the rest of the country price.

I was talking to someone the other day about tesco ireland buying from british suppliers and they were going on about how it was a disgrace and all sorts of crap like that. They failed to see the irony in the fact they do 90% of their grocery shopping up north.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Basically, pre 96'ers are on different contracts than me.

They get paid more than me and have set hours.

Down in Cork, there, after building a new store and the 96'ers are been told that if they don't except the contract in four days or something there is no job for you here.

Mandate are up in arms over this. And now Tesco are up in arms with Mandate on this, as a load of flyers went around all quite funny.

As for the comments on the stores, I noticed it varys from store to store, or Region's. The Region I am in the stores are usually well kept.

As for boycotting them?

I think you would want to boycott anything to do with Dell after what they done in Ireland.

And another thing, would the simple solution to all this north shopping not be for the government to get the finger out and drop the VAT ? Or god forbit they might do something RIGHT for once !

Advertisement