Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing Weight

Options
  • 20-04-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi guys

I swore I would never do this for myself cause I would be too embarassed but here goes. I am trying to lose weight and my boyfriend started the same time with me.
    He was 18 1/2 stone and he has since lost 1 1/2 stone in the space of month and half.
    We both took up walking every evening which was approx 2-3 miles. We were goin so well at it and then i had an emergency at home so i had to travel home and the fitness craze had to be thrown to the waste side.
    He powered on with his fitness kick and i am too afraid to take walkin back up wit him because he tends to be a little competitive and i know that i will b at a completly different pace to him and he will b back at the car waiting for me to finish.
    We have a wedding in his family in october so we want to b in tip top shape for the pics.
    I am 5ft 8" and touching 15 Stone (94kg).
    I would love to take up swimming in addition to the walking but i am just too body conscious. I have been body conscious since i was about 11 and i just could not enjoy myself. If i could go straight from my changing room to the water without anyone seeing my wobbly bits i would be fine. I have thunder thighs and have the weirdest body shape that i have ever seen (i have also been told this repeatadly) I seem to carry majority of my weight from just under my boobs to my 'front bum' so e.g. if i wear jeans i need to pull them up as high as possible or else i have this huge roll that looks like i am wearing a hula hoop under my top. When i sit down my belly is the same size as my boobs (i have a couple of 40E's) so thats big!
    I am wondering if anyone can give advice on how to approach this from scratch again. I should also say that i am after gettin the perscription to help quit smoking so i am doin this to quit (obviously) and to improve my fitness.
    I dnt think that there is anythin else i should do along with the walking. How about those weights that are small pink dum-bells? (i bought them in dunnes about 3 yrs ago, need to dust them off firstly)
    Our changes in relation to nutrition;
    - We have a strict NO WHITE BREAD rule in our house.
    - We have reverted to buyin baby potatoes instead of big ones so that we have to ratione the bag so we have max 3/4 each at dinner.
    - we are also buyin only fresh meat and veg and preparing it all from scratch so that we get the healthiest dinners. We steam the veg :-)
    Sorry to waffle on but i really need help and want to try my best at losing the weight once and for all. It ruined my teenage years due to gettin bullied and have no confidence etc etc but we shall put that behind us and look forward to the brighter sunnier future.
    Any help would be very appreciated!
    Thank you, I can start my weight training by using my bichon pup who is alseep across one of my arms at the minute. (it took ages to type this with one hand) :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Hi Valpuk

I know how you feel. i was over 20 stone at Christmas and it took a bit to get back in the gym and start training. I've been at it four months now and have lost nearly 2 stone. It is difficult and if you are body conscious and believe every one is looking at you it must be hard. Butjust remember that everyone in a gym is body conscious, if they weren't they wouldn't be there! :) Don't be worried about lifting heavier dumbells, you won't end up like Arnie.

Have a read of the stickies at the top of this forum and then set yourself some S.M.A.R.T. Goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely). ie. I want to lose a stone by the beggining of July and 2 stone by the begining of September. Aim to lose 1-2 pounds a week and aim to do it by changing your lifestyle rather than by a magic fix.

Start a log in the Fitness logs section and try to keep it updated. I find it acts as an incentive. I wasn't going to go to the gym after getting stuck in a meeting, but I wanted to make sure i didn't have a blank date when I look back at my log :o

Oh and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭TMoreno

valpuk wrote: »
    Hi guys

I swore I would never do this for myself cause I would be too embarassed but here goes. I am trying to lose weight and my boyfriend started the same time with me.
    He was 18 1/2 stone and he has since lost 1 1/2 stone in the space of month and half.
    We both took up walking every evening which was approx 2-3 miles. We were goin so well at it and then i had an emergency at home so i had to travel home and the fitness craze had to be thrown to the waste side.
    He powered on with his fitness kick and i am too afraid to take walkin back up wit him because he tends to be a little competitive and i know that i will b at a completly different pace to him and he will b back at the car waiting for me to finish.
    We have a wedding in his family in october so we want to b in tip top shape for the pics.
    I am 5ft 8" and touching 15 Stone (94kg).
    I would love to take up swimming in addition to the walking but i am just too body conscious. I have been body conscious since i was about 11 and i just could not enjoy myself. If i could go straight from my changing room to the water without anyone seeing my wobbly bits i would be fine. I have thunder thighs and have the weirdest body shape that i have ever seen (i have also been told this repeatadly) I seem to carry majority of my weight from just under my boobs to my 'front bum' so e.g. if i wear jeans i need to pull them up as high as possible or else i have this huge roll that looks like i am wearing a hula hoop under my top. When i sit down my belly is the same size as my boobs (i have a couple of 40E's) so thats big!
    I am wondering if anyone can give advice on how to approach this from scratch again. I should also say that i am after gettin the perscription to help quit smoking so i am doin this to quit (obviously) and to improve my fitness.
    I dnt think that there is anythin else i should do along with the walking. How about those weights that are small pink dum-bells? (i bought them in dunnes about 3 yrs ago, need to dust them off firstly)
    Our changes in relation to nutrition;
    - We have a strict NO WHITE BREAD rule in our house.
    - We have reverted to buyin baby potatoes instead of big ones so that we have to ratione the bag so we have max 3/4 each at dinner.
    - we are also buyin only fresh meat and veg and preparing it all from scratch so that we get the healthiest dinners. We steam the veg :-)
    Sorry to waffle on but i really need help and want to try my best at losing the weight once and for all. It ruined my teenage years due to gettin bullied and have no confidence etc etc but we shall put that behind us and look forward to the brighter sunnier future.
    Any help would be very appreciated!
    Thank you, I can start my weight training by using my bichon pup who is alseep across one of my arms at the minute. (it took ages to type this with one hand) :P

You need to cut the calories and have a regular physical activity. In any case consistency is the key.

http://strictlycomegrooving.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Hi Valpuk

Have a read of the stickies at the top of this forum and then set yourself some S.M.A.R.T. Goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely). ie. I want to lose a stone by the beggining of July and 2 stone by the begining of September. Aim to lose 1-2 pounds a week and aim to do it by changing your lifestyle rather than by a magic fix.

+ 1 on the stickies - they're a mine of brilliant info.

Congrats on taking the first step. TBH though, you might need to make a few more changes to diet than those first steps you outlined. Post your typical diet and we can see where you are going wrong.

However, in general, you should try to eat 4 - 6 smaller meals a day, with good healthy fresh foods. Try to up your protein intake (e.g. fish and lean meats such as chicken) and your fruit and veg. Carbs are generalaly best taken for breakfast and lunch, but should be avoided in the evenings - try to make sure you're eating complex carbs, such as porridge, brown rice, whole grains. Stay away from simple, refined carbs like white pasta/rice, most breads, sugary cereals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

Hi guys it hurt to spill that much beans in this first blog and now is the time to share the rest :eek::(

My biggest killer is alcohol, I love my Vodka & (Light) Red Bull so much! I would probably have one drink 2 nights a week and then maybe 4 one night a week. I know that a measure of vodka contains around 80 calories and I know I should really avoid it but I love my drink (i hope this doesnt make me sound like an alco!)
    Also there is a no fizzy drink rule in our house. If you want a drink you choose between water, milk or orange squash ( no added sugar of course )
    We HAVE TO have potatoes/pasta/rice for dinner. My fella loves his potatoes but he has done very well, in the last 2 months he has gone from happily eating 6+ potatoes to opting for 4 baby potatoes. (I changed to baby potatoes cause i think it would psycologically help his think he is still gettin a large portion of potatoes)..although i kno this sounds crazy!
    I have taken my first Champix tablet this morning - perscription to quit smoking...do not feel 100% at the moment to be honest.
    Anyway I am going to start from scatch tomorrow and go hell for leather to get rid of this bloody weight. It has ruined my teenage years, i am not going to let it take the rest of my twenties away from me :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I could get through a couple of litres of coke in a day but since getting back in the gym I've only had a small glass on a couple of occasions with cheat meals. There's currently about 2 gallons of coke in my house & I'm not touching it, it just has to be done.

Weight loss is all about sacrifices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Vodka and diet drinks are the most low calorie per unit alcohol. Also diet drinks actually make you absorb alcohol faster, so it you set out to get to a certain drunkeness then using diet mixers will mean you need to drink less vodka to get the same blood alcohol level.

I hope your rice and pasta are both wholemeal. Even then they are doing you no real favours.

Milk has more calories than coke per 100ml, but of course a far better choice.

Weighttraining is great for fat loss, cannot recommend it enough. But not those pink dumbbells! if they did any good then all the shelfpackers in supermarkets would be walking around like hulks!

This is the set I would recommend
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3008250/Trail/searchtext%3E50KG.htm

Though you can get by just doing pushups and bodyweight squats. At your current weight you can get enough resistance from your own body. check www.simplefit.org
    and this
    http://www.stumptuous.com/

Respectfully, you don't have to have potatoes or rice. As Rubdub said, you're not doing yourself any favors. Surely if you explained to your bf how much this means to you, he would agree to sacrifice his spuds, at least a couple of nights a week. Even if he wasn't willing to, whats to stop you having a side salad instead.

as magic said, weight loss does involve some sacrifice - if it was easy, nobody would need to do it. If you're serious enough about it, you have to commit to it fully.

but spuds for dinner is only part of it, without seeing a full diet its hard to tell you what you might need to change.

O guys u do realise I will be coming to ye in future. Ye dnt sugar coat things which is the way to be!

My normal diet each day is;

Breakfast

Corn flakes / Bran Flakes with Light Milk
    Or
    WholeGrain toast with butter, slice of luncheon and calvita cheese
    Or
    3-4 Sausages

Lunch

Wholegrain Sandwich - butter, luncheon, cheese and cucumber
    Or
    Toasted sandwich - butter, cheese, onion, luncheon

Dinner

-Fresh meat (Either Beef, chicken, pork or fish)
    -Fresh steamed vegetables
    -Potatoes/ brown rice/ pasta

About once a week I would get a roll made in a garage/deli with meat, salad and mayo (I KNOW I'M BOLD)
    Would it be ok if I ate sauages for breakfast, no bread or sauces with it, just on their own?
    We have no tayto's, chocolate or biscuits in our home.
    We both ordered a Special curry last Sunday and that was our first take away in 2 weeks. I would have considered that somewhat good due to the amount of veg in it and that there was pork, beef and prawns in it.

If you are ever out or getting take away which is the best from a bad bunch? Fried Rice, Boiled Rice or Chips? Would take it that it is Boiled Rice?
    I really do want to make a go of this and get fit.

Any help is appreciated, thanks again guys!

As suggested before, you should be eating smaller portions more often. It will fire up the metabolism, which will help to burn fat faster. Also, its harder to resist tempation when you go a couple of hours without food, and you're more likely to give into snacking on the wrong things.

For breakfast,sausages on their own isn 't a good idea. First off, sausages aren't particularly good for you in the first place, the meat that goes into them isn't the best quality and prob has a lot of fat in it.

More importantly, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. You should try to eat something that fairly substantial, and that will fill you up for the morning. Porridge is great - you can add in some fruit and honey to spice it up a bit if you find it plain.

Again, luncheon meat probably isn't the best quality stuff. If you are eating bread, make sure its wholemeal, stay away from white. you could try replacing the sambo with salad every know and then.

You really should try and avoid carbs in the evening if you're trying to lose weight - you body will find it hard to burn them off at that time, so it will end up storing them as fat! not the desired result!! if you do though, make sure its brown - stay away from white rice and white pasta.

On takeaway's, obviously boiled rice is the best option. as long as its only an occasional treat, don't worry too much about it - if your diet is otherwise good, and you're putting in some good exercise as well, you should allow yourself the odd reward meal. you can even use it to motivate you during the week!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Firstly, you should be eating every 2-3 hours. So 3 meals a day should be replaced by 6 smaller meals.
    Breakfast

Corn flakes / Bran Flakes with Light Milk
    Or
    WholeGrain toast with butter, slice of luncheon and calvita cheese
    Or
    3-4 Sausages

Cornflakes and branflakes are quite high in sugar, so I'd ditch them.
    I'm not sure of the nutritional profile of calvita cheese but I'm guessing its v processed so I wouldn't include it.
    Sausages are very high in fat.

What I would suggest is:
    wholegrain toast with a boiled/poached egg and/or a slice of ham
    porridge (possibly with a scoop of protein power) made with some berries, or other fruit.
    Alternatively, you could cut out the carbs completely and go for scrambled eggs or some sort of omlette.

Ideally, you should be having a small meal/snack at around 11am, something like some nuts, a slice of ham, a low-fat natural yogurt (fruit flavours are high in sugar)
    Lunch

Wholegrain Sandwich - butter, luncheon, cheese and cucumber
    Or
    Toasted sandwich - butter, cheese, onion, luncheon
    There's nothing wrong with a small bit of butter but it does have a lot of calories. Is it really necessary to have butter in your sandwich? ALso, you could go lower carb by having a wrap instead of the bread.

What about salads? Or something you cooked for dinner the night before? Cook extra, throw it in a tupperware container and you have a nutritious, cheap lunch.

Again, I'd suggest a snack at around 4pm of a handful of nuts, slice of ham, boiled egg, low-fat yoghurt.

Dinner

-Fresh meat (Either Beef, chicken, pork or fish)
    -Fresh steamed vegetables
    -Potatoes/ brown rice/ pasta
    Biggest recommendation: drop the carbs. Unless you have earned them (ie done some exercise), your body really doesn't need them. It might take a bit of getting used to but look at it this way: what you're doing right now isn't working so something has to change.

Depending on when you eat, I'd also recommend a snack at around 9pm. I normally have some cottage cheese with chocolate protein shake, peanut butter and ground flaxseed - yum!
    About once a week I would get a roll made in a garage/deli with meat, salad and mayo (I KNOW I'M BOLD)
    One cheat meal a week is definitely a good idea, if just for the mental relief from the diet alone!
    Would it be ok if I ate sauages for breakfast, no bread or sauces with it, just on their own?
    Sausages really are not healthy - they are very high in fat. If you were to have sausages for your breakfast, I would consider them a cheat meal.
    If you are ever out or getting take away which is the best from a bad bunch? Fried Rice, Boiled Rice or Chips? Would take it that it is Boiled Rice?
    Indian can be good if you have a tandoori meat with no sauce, or a tomato based sauce.
    Italian can be very carb-heavy with a lot of creamy sauces.
    With an Asian take-out, see if they have any stir-fries or dishes with less or no sauce. Normally with take-out it's the carbs and sauce that do the damage.
    I really do want to make a go of this and get fit.
    Then please, please, please put some of the advice you're getting into practice! I used to be 14 stone and I know what it's like to feel like you're at the bottom of a mountain looking up at the peak way off in the distance but it's definitely worth it. Just think of all the great things about being slimmer
    -you'll be healthier
    -you'll feel better about your appearance
    -you won't feel so self conscious
    -you will fit better into your clothes
    -buying clothes will be a joy
    -you'll be able to eat without feeling guilty or anxious about that odd cheat meal

Keep concentrating on WHY you want to lose weight and make sure you learn how to reward yourself without food. So when you lose your first stone, go get a massage, buy a bag, go the cinema, etc. Small goals are important.

• Advertisement

Thank you all very much.
    I had 2 v & red bull's last night over the space of 9pm - 1am so i think i did very well.... AND the other 5 people that i was with ordered Doner Kebab's and chips and I didn't get anything...i wasnt hungry so why order it just for the sake of it?

I am going to start a food diary starting from tomorrow morning.
    I havent eaten anythin yet today so i may start from tomorrow. Everythin will go into it and i can analyse myself from that and i might be able to see how to change the way i eat from this.

I started taking the anti smoking tablets yesterday morning and cigarettes now taste absolutly disgusting! I still have the cravings for one but i am not enjoying them, hopefully this will continue!
    I am hoping to be finished with them by next Saturday, that is my target day!

I cannot understand why I put majority of my weight around my stomach area. As described earlier, it looks like i'm wearing a childs inflatable swim ring underneath my clothes. One thing that i am thinkin is that maybe i do not use my stomach muscles as much as i should and could that be the reason for the excess build up primarily in this area?
    I try to do sit ups but my back holds me back. I can do 5-10 and once i hit 10 i am in agony and a pain shoots up through my spine. I end up being out of breath aswell.
    Possibly if i was to try one of those gym balls it could be easier to do sit ups? And i am thinkin of goin to enroll in a aqua aerobics class shortly :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I havent eaten anythin yet today so i may start from tomorrow. Everythin will go into it and i can analyse myself from that and i might be able to see how to change the way i eat from this.
    This is definitely a good idea. Fitday.com is very good and free. Do it for a week or so and then review. Some people find they have to track everything and others find they just do it for a few weeks and then they get into the good habits.
    I cannot understand why I put majority of my weight around my stomach area. As described earlier, it looks like i'm wearing a childs inflatable swim ring underneath my clothes. One thing that i am thinkin is that maybe i do not use my stomach muscles as much as i should and could that be the reason for the excess build up primarily in this area?
    Normally, the distribution of fat on your body isn't something you can change. For most women, for example, it's hips bums anda thighs. I'm guessing you're what is known as an 'apple' shape, as opposed to a 'pear'. What you can do is work on reducing your overall body fat, which will minimise fat stored on your stomach/waist.
    I try to do sit ups but my back holds me back. I can do 5-10 and once i hit 10 i am in agony and a pain shoots up through my spine. I end up being out of breath aswell.
    Possibly if i was to try one of those gym balls it could be easier to do sit ups? And i am thinkin of goin to enroll in a aqua aerobics class shortly :D

IMO, standard sit-ups are vastly over-rated. There are other very good core/stomach exercises that will protect your back.

You have to understand that no matter how much toned muscle you create on your body, you won't be able to see it if it's under a layer of fat. It's a misunderstanding of this concept that leads most people to think that sit-ups are the best way to a flatter stomach. In terms of exercise, you should be focusing on training with free weights (ie dumbells & maybe a barbell) and higher intensity cardio that gets you out of breath and sweating. IMO, long slow cardio is not worth the amount of time invested (but others will disagree).

If you have back problems, I would strongly advise that you go see your GP or a physiotherapist before you start any form of exercise - specially if you do decide to start doing some weight training. And if you do start weight training, I would also recommend getting advice on how to do the exercises from a gym instructor (or someone else who knows what they're talking about). Make sure to let them know about your back problems so they can factor this into any programme they make for you.

Also, have a look here for more info/advice:

http://www.stumptuous.com/

Low impact forms of cardio might suit you very well, for example cycling or swimming.

At the end of the day, you can't out train a bad diet and you'd probably exhaust yourself if you tried. Weight loss is 70% diet, 30% exercise.

Thanks Taconnol

I will have a look at that website in few mins.

Yes i have deicided that tomorrow is the day.
    I took a trip to Lidl earlier and i bought some low fat cheese spread and sesame rye crackerbread (hmmm yummy!) :( And i bought a few light yoghurts and goin to try minimise my bread intake by having these at lunch.
    I am goin to try and use a boiled egg as apart of breakfast in the morning but i am prob goin to keep having my cereal. I was eating Special K but there was a special on Cornflakes and Bran Flakes in Dunnes so thats why we bought those two instead.
    I am goin to get back to walking tomorrow. I sometimes have to travel down to parents home in Kilkenny and when i am down there i tend to either lock myself in my room in the evening and go nuts with the ipod stuck in my ears or else i go on the treadmill while watchin a film on the computer which is on a desk infront of it.
    I have been told that a treadmill is exceptionally better for you than a walk outside due to the fact that a treadmill gives u a 'proper' workout. Now i wil admit i did walkin in the town for about 2/3 wks and then one night it was horrible weather so i decided to use a friends treadmill. OMG I was in bits the next morning. I found that my muscles were incredibly sore and more so than they had been from walking in town. Can anyone explain that?

O i had the most yummy (and i hope it was healthy) supper.
    I bought a slice pan of brown wholemeal soda bread and a carton of tomato puree and i put the slices of brown under the grill, then put some puree on them and then chopped up red pepper, spring onion (scallions), meat and cheese and put them onto the slices of brown bread and you have...... brown bread pizza slices! Had 2 table spoons of baked beans as a side.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hey fair play to you Valpuk you are starting out and that's fantastic. Keep up the good work.

I've been reading through your posts and a few things jump out at me as regards diet. Now I'm definitely not an expert, but MAJOR red flags to me would be

- Sausages
    - Cheese

It also sounds like your portion sizes could be the culprit? I would cut the above out and only eat them at the most once a week - they are just too bold.

Have you ever tried WW? I'm on it now (have been on and off for years) and I find it's the easiest diet to do because you have guidelines but nothings forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Thank you all very much.
    I had 2 v & red bull's last night over the space of 9pm - 1am so i think i did very well.... AND the other 5 people that i was with ordered Doner Kebab's and chips and I didn't get anything...i wasnt hungry so why order it just for the sake of it?

I started taking the anti smoking tablets yesterday morning and cigarettes now taste absolutly disgusting! I still have the cravings for one but i am not enjoying them, hopefully this will continue!
    I am hoping to be finished with them by next Saturday, that is my target day!

Best of luck with this, really hope it works out for you.
    The more you put in the more you get out and once you see some results it gets alot easier:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

hey, just wondering how you're getting on? i read all the posts in this forum a week or two ago so an update would be good!

Ah....

I think I am doing good

I have had no white bread for ages and today I bought a 1 of those cooked rolls in supermarket and made myself a ham, cheese and scallion roll.
    I am minding my friends dogs for wkend so I am up to my eyes running around after them so that it keeping my exercised.
    Also I walked today from my house to hers - its about 1mile - 1 1/2 miles so happy about that.

I had a nasty fall during the wk though so that knocked me out for last few days. I slipped in the kitchen and got 1 of those high island chairs right in under my arm. It made contact with inside of my arm, my ribs and (boobie) :o
    I have brusies all down one side and the impact of the bang did some damage to my shoulder blades and neck. Have been dosed up on painkillers all week.
    Was goin to go to doctor cause I thought I had cracked a rib but nothing a doc can do about the bruising.
    Just have to suck it up and keep going! - The walk today has taken its affect on my now though. Wnt b doin much else this evening.

I am still goin on those tablets to quit smoking - find myself smoking more than ever tbh but i think that maybe i am purposely doin it coz in my head i know that these tablets are goin to make me quit so am i tryin to get as many as i can while i can ??? Sounds mad but thats wot i think :D

Sold our 8 month old male bichon today, my other half is extremely upset over it. We have 2 other dogs and the eldest is not impressed by him so we decided to sell him before 1 of them get hurt. Its sad but wud rather them have happy lives.

All in all I am still tryin to be good so goin to try my best to keep goin and knock the nail on the head with this bad lifestyle.

I think that bein unemployed plays a dramatic impact on your self confidence and motivation.
    I really should be using this free time to get physical but it is hard.

Will keep ye posted xxx

Hope its been going well for you.

Just wondering if you're really taking all the advice on board here though. I really think cornflakes and special k aren't the best for brekkie - porridge is really the way foward (or perhaps scrambled eggs and wholemeal bread)! Porridge has got little or no sugar or other additives, and is a good slow releasing carb that will fill you up for the morning, whereas special k is full of additives, and will not fill you up n early as well.

Similarly, if that roll the other day was a white baguette type, thats worse for you than the bread! Again, a bit of cheese is ok, but don't go nuts!

Really, if you think about it, our bodies evolved to eat whole, natural foods, with no additives or "manufactured" ingredients. We're not designed to be able to efficiently use factory made products.

On the smoking, have you tried going cold turkey? I admit no expertise here, as i never really smoked, but it always struck me that the only way you will ever fully give up, is if you make a conscious decision that you are quitting, no ifs, buts or excuses.

I know when i started out trying to lose weight, i would always buy a pack of bsicuits every week, with the intention of only ever having 3 or 4 a week, but always found them as long as they were in the press i'd gave. So i stopped buying them and gave them up entirely. Now i have no problem passing them up.

Sorry, i'm not trying to be critical, its just that i know for years i thought i i was being healthy by eating three square meals with no snacks, eating cornflakes instead of frosties, pasta and vegetables instead of ordering pizza, cooked chicken fillet rolls instead of a breakfast rolls, orange juice instead of a coke etc. It was only when i stopped and analysed exactly what i was eating, and what was in eat, and began to lok at portion size, and committed to radically changing my diet that the weight started to drop off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 healthinfo

Hi every body,
    How r u ? Are you interested in losing a weight ? I always know your answer is yah... I give some free tips.. Please don't ignore my thread. I suggest you eat more and more. After some time your problem are solved. And you have no question about your weight ? Hey I know you always follow my tips!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

healthinfo wrote: »
    Hi every body,
    How r u ? Are you interested in losing a weight ? I always know your answer is yah... I give some free tips.. Please don't ignore my thread. I suggest you eat more and more. After some time your problem are solved. And you have no question about your weight ? Hey I know you always follow my tips!
    GENIUS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

ObviousTroll.jpg

Hi guys

What was that previous few posts all about??? Hmmm..
    Anyway... this is the person who started this thread. I am here to give u updates.
    I am officially off the cigarettes - i quenched my last one on wed night just as emmerdale started @ 7p.m. I feel a little cheated to be honest because i didnt know it was my last one :mad: I am on perscribed tablets to try quit smokes and all of a sudden i did not have any more cravings and the thoughts of smoking a cigarette does not appeal to me.... WOO HOO ! ! !
    I have been on porridge the last 2 mornings
    I am only having meat and veg for dinner (big portion of veg)

I have got up early and went walking in the woods the past 2 mornings. The woods have tons of inclines and i walked over 2 miles each day so it is keeping my mind off cigarettes and it is also getting me fit.
    My b/day is the end of this month so if i had lost just a little bit of weight i would be delighted.
    Thanks to all the helpful posters of this thread

I appreciate all the advice and info given by ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 yeneewss

Okay, to be honest - food - 4 sausages. If you feel bad about eating it, then it's probably bad for you and who needs 4 sausages. Are they fried or grilled? Why not 2 and wholemeal toast? As for abs - it's meant to hurt your stomach muscles. The fit ball is great for beginners - make sure the base of your back is on the ball before you start and take it slowly - it's the resistance of slow, controlled movements that works your muscles. Personally I would give up the alcohol but then that's not a big deal for me to give up at all and I can imagine it's hard for you to give up. But I do know that if you feel guilty about something even before you have eaten/drank it, it's going to be bad for you and you will feel twice as bad after you have done it! As for walking with your boyfriend, tell him your concerns about his competitiveness etc. If he's a good guy he will listen to you and take things at your pace for a while until you match up with him again. Personally, the gym is the best place to work out - you are only there for one thing and nothing else is there to distract you. You can promise to work out at home all you want, but it never happens for a long, committed period of time. But if you want to do it that way there's a WII game called something like Personal Fitness Challenge. YOu don't need the WII fit board and she is a tough cookie!
    But in the end of all. Good luck with everything. Put on half a stone myself having left my gym a few months ago!!! Back in a new place now and have to work twice as hard to shift the extra plus what I needed to lose in the first place!!!

Advertisement