Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making your own PWO?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I read here before that you can make your own PWO shake by mixing whey powder with glucose. Can anyone tell me the proportions I should use? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

1 part whey to 2 parts glucose. The amount depends on your weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Here's a recipe for my personal blends. Maltodextrin works better imo as its less sweet then glucose so easy to stomach

Whey isolate 25gms
    maltodextrin 50gms
    bcaas 10gms
    0.8gms electrolyte mix
    5gms creatine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Racy

hi emmet,

where do you get your ingredients for the shake? well to be more precise where do you get the bcaa's, electrolyte mix and maltodextrin? I have been looking for glucose in tons of shops as a substitute for the dex but i haven't found any. tons of shops in dublin that is,

thanks in advance

Racy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Khannie wrote: »
    1 part whey to 2 parts glucose. The amount depends on your weight.

Do you seriously need to put in 2 parts glucose? That would be 4 scoups of gloucose to 2 scoups of protein??!!

Why so much?

Here's a recipe for my personal blends. Maltodextrin works better imo as its less sweet then glucose so easy to stomach

Whey isolate 25gms
    maltodextrin 50gms
    bcaas 10gms
    0.8gms electrolyte mix
    5gms creatine

Do you find the BCAA's good? What benefits do you get?

• Advertisement

@Racy: I get my supplies from myprotein.co.uk , they've got all the listed ingredients

@Baldie: I find bcaa's to be one of the best supplements I take. The only thing is you have to use a lot of them, I normally use 10gms pre and 10gms post, sometimes more if I'm feeling generous. I definitely notice doms is massively reduced and recovery is speeded up

@Racy: I get my supplies from myprotein.co.uk , they've got all the listed ingredients

@Baldie: I find bcaa's to be one of the best supplements I take. The only thing is you have to use a lot of them, I normally use 10gms pre and 10gms post, sometimes more if I'm feeling generous. I definitely notice doms is massively reduced and recovery is speeded up

Do you take the powder or tablets? I'd presume you'd pick them up in any health shop (Holland & Barrett) ?

I get the powder as i go through a lot of it and the tablets are over priced, be warned they do taste like ass so you might want to get a cap-em quick to make your own tablets up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Racy wrote: »
    I have been looking for glucose in tons of shops as a substitute for the dex but i haven't found any. tons of shops in dublin that is,
    Most supermarkets will have it, usually in the babyfood section. about €1.20 for 500g. Chemists have it to for extortionate prices.
    Baldie wrote: »
    Do you seriously need to put in 2 parts glucose? That would be 4 scoups of gloucose to 2 scoups of protein??!!
    NO, 2 parts by weight, NOT volume. A scoop of glucose would weigh more than a scoop of airy protein powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Does anyone else find it really hard to put down? ive tried it with a 1:1 ratio first to test the waters and i felt like spitting it back out, just too sweet. couldnt imagine a 2:1 ratio (i had 30g of glucose powder and 30 odd grams of whey powder to make it 30gs of protein)

One of the lads uses honey but thats a WHOLE load of honey. Another guy uses post workout to have all the sugary things he likes along with a shake.:D

• Advertisement

joepenguin wrote: »
    One of the lads uses honey but thats a WHOLE load of honey.
    Honey tastes sweeter than normal "table sugar" (sucrose) so it would be very sweet. Glucose tastes less sweet than sugar so is more palatable, it also has higher GI so gets to work quicker.

If watching calories honey is a good choice as you can use less to get the same sweetness.
    joepenguin wrote: »
    Another guy uses post workout to have all the sugary things he likes along with a shake.:D
    That could be me, many "low fat" cakes etc are really just sugar and simple carbs- processed white flour. Glucose would be better but I am not going to force down a shake I do not like. And also I might end up eating that crap some other day so best get my vices in when they are going to at least some good use:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I'm less 'scientific' in my approach to training/nuitrition than a lot of you obviously are.

Gave up protein shakes a while ago...getting more than enough protein from my diet, so post workout I have chocolate milk - 750mls Avonmore low fat.
    I don't notice any negative difference regarding recovery or strength gains...and I do train hard...and it tastes great.

Now granted, if I was a pro/semi pro athlete or bodybuilder, I might have to adopt a more in depth analysis of my nuitrition but training as part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle...I think most posters here fall into that category...does not require this, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Just got some maltodextrin from myprotein there but there's no scoop. Does anyone know what around 60g of the stuff would be in terms of heaped teaspoons?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Does maltodextrin combined with whey really have such a great effect pre and post work out?

This article suggests it increases protein synthesis by 400%.

If yes, what the hell have I been doing for the past year with just my whey and the odd banana?! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

a 4:1 ratio(carbs:protein) is more effective for post-workout

Proof? I've seen studies on professional track athelte saying 3:1 is better but their training volume was far in excess of what most people are doing in the gym

Proof? I've seen studies on professional track athelte saying 3:1 is better but their training volume was far in excess of what most people are doing in the gym

volume shouldnt have much effect on the ratio. there have been tests done that have shown 4:1 to be more effective. i could check one of my books later and quote references. the book is called 'nutrient timing', its on sports nutrition

i know that in america they did studies with chocolate milk as a post workout drink and it came out on top, the chocolate milk they used was 4:1

It's not the ratio I'm really wondering about, just how much a teaspoon would weigh approximately, as I've no way of measuring the stuff.

BossArky wrote: »
    Does maltodextrin combined with whey really have such a great effect pre and post work out?

This article suggests it increases protein synthesis by 400%.

If yes, what the hell have I been doing for the past year with just my whey and the odd banana?! :mad:

It says
    "Consumption of both protein and carbohydrate results in even greater effects on protein balance. Protein synthesis was stimulated 400 % above pre-exercise values when a protein and carbohydrate supplement was consumed (soon) after a bout of resistance exercise."
    Your banana is ~22% carbs, and quite high GI, so you already benefiting from similar effects, maybe the maltodextrin might be a bit better, but it is not saying it is 4 times better than what you are already doing.

It's not the ratio I'm really wondering about, just how much a teaspoon would weigh approximately, as I've no way of measuring the stuff.
    I'd just get yourself a digital scale, salter are a good brand and this one is cheap http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8422996/Trail/searchtext%3ESALTER+SCALE.htm

rubadub wrote: »

I'd just get yourself a digital scale, salter are a good brand and this one is cheap http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8422996/Trail/searchtext%3ESALTER+SCALE.htm

Yeah cheers that looks pretty good actually.

Guess I'll just guestimate for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

1 heaped teaspoon of dextrose weighs 6g. I am a very kind soul and just weighed it for you (seriously).

Khannie wrote: »
    1 heaped teaspoon of dextrose weighs 6g. I am a very kind soul and just weighed it for you (seriously).

Wow cheers Khannie, really appreciate that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Whey isolate 25gms
    maltodextrin 50gms
    bcaas 10gms
    0.8gms electrolyte mix
    5gms creatine

Hi Emmett.
    What is the electrolyte mix of which you speak? ;)
    Thanks
    John

Hi guys,
    Sorry to be hijacking this thread, or maybe this is on-topic :)

Im just wondering of how to cheaply and tastilly (is that a word? lol) flavour a pwo.

I'll be copying Emmett pretty much except my protein will be the 5kg unflavoured Whey from myprotien.
    I'll get the dextrose from the babyfood section. But will it be enough to give a decent shake?

Currently i use supplementfactory whey + their Cell (carbs+creatine+glut) and i think its lovely. I just have a feeling its not great for the body. Im not exactly regular if you know what i mean, esp since i've cut back on oats and bread. (Im hoping Physillius recommended on another thread by Emmett will sort this :) thanks again)

volume shouldnt have much effect on the ratio. there have been tests done that have shown 4:1 to be more effective. i could check one of my books later and quote references. the book is called 'nutrient timing', its on sports nutrition

i know that in america they did studies with chocolate milk as a post workout drink and it came out on top, the chocolate milk they used was 4:1

Volume would have a huge effect on glycogen depeletion. For example would a ME bench day not have a lesser demand on a 400m runners 2 hour training session, I think so. In fact I know in higher level sports circle the amount of carbs is tailored to the total reps of the workout.

You're not talking about the chocolate milk study that was done by the a milk company are you?

slemons wrote: »
    Hi Emmett.
    What is the electrolyte mix of which you speak? ;)
    Thanks
    John

I get it from myprotein.co.uk and its just their standard mix, an alternative would be lo-salt and a magnesium tablet not magnesium oxide though

I get it from myprotein.co.uk and its just their standard mix, an alternative would be lo-salt and a magnesium tablet not magnesium oxide though

Thanks,
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/health-and-wellness/electrolyte-powder/

For some reason i thought it was from bulkpowders and forgot to search myprotein...

Volume would have a huge effect on glycogen depeletion. For example would a ME bench day not have a lesser demand on a 400m runners 2 hour training session, I think so. In fact I know in higher level sports circle the amount of carbs is tailored to the total reps of the workout.

You're not talking about the chocolate milk study that was done by the a milk company are you?

sure, but it doesnt have to change the ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

I'd always favour a 2:1 ratio after weights or a 3:1 after a sports training session. With 4:1 being pre workout and during sometimes also but I'll try the 4:1 someday and see how that goes after a workout.

• Advertisement

4:1?
    Are there any concerns about diabetes?

Advertisement