Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purple Boxes at DART Station

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I have an annual bus/rail ticket. Even though Dublin Bus supports smartcards, my ticket hasn't been upgraded. I had to get mine replaced (it lasted a month before the magnetic strip refused to work). Talking with the CIE staff when getting it replaced, I was told Dart tickets would be upgraded to this interm smart card from July, but my annual ticket won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I doubt they are for any kind of ticketing machine at all, they look to me like emergency contact points where someone can press a button and contact emergency services.

They're ticket machines alright. They are exactly the same as the luas ones. The front part of the reader detaches from the back, so they can replace them if they're faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Polar101

I have an annual bus/rail ticket. Even though Dublin Bus supports smartcards, my ticket hasn't been upgraded. I had to get mine replaced (it lasted a month before the magnetic strip refused to work). Talking with the CIE staff when getting it replaced, I was told Dart tickets would be upgraded to this interm smart card from July, but my annual ticket won't.

I was hoping to get a smart card too, the magnetic strip tends to self-destruct in Dublin bus readers every few months. My this year's ticket has failed twice in two months, which is getting a bit irritating (15% more price, 50% less reliability).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Having looked at these again they seem to be all positioned at additional exit gates not normally open at the station, perhaps they will be used to allow people to exit who have a valid ticket or perhaps for disabled people who will have some special card to open them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Having looked at these again they seem to be all positioned at additional exit gates not normally open at the station, perhaps they will be used to allow people to exit who have a valid ticket or perhaps for diabled people who will have some special card to open them.

They're smart card readers. When IR start issuing smart cards, they will be used when the station is closed.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Maybe they should be used when the station is open - I have never seen turnstiles as slow to read cards as IE's ones in any country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Red Alert wrote: »
    Maybe they should be used when the station is open - I have never seen turnstiles as slow to read cards as IE's ones in any country.

I think the newer machines can read smart cards too. That said, they are very slow. It's only about a 2 second wait but in London it is instant. All those 2 seconds (Tara st. for example) can add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Having looked at these again they seem to be all positioned at additional exit gates not normally open at the station, perhaps they will be used to allow people to exit who have a valid ticket or perhaps for diabled people who will have some special card to open them.

They are being placed beside the night exit gates so that people can tag their smart card tickets on/off as appropriate when the main station building entrance/exits are locked shut.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They have them up in Clonsilla Station and Liexlip Louisa Bridge now. They look weird with the completly blank front.

Advertisement