Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So am 5.25 hours into the cook and nearly done I'd say (Meater says less than an hour) I haven't wrapped, currently at 87c with a target of 93c.

Can't figure out how to connect with the Meater over WiFi which is a pain as Bluetooth range is not great.

After 6.5 hours. Have now wrapped up and put in a cool box to bring to neighbours for a Halloween party later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Anyone got any tips where to but lump wood for smoking ? Used to get it in baste but thats closed now.

Also - Anywhere doing sales on Weber Gas BBQ's now that we are out of season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

i don't think the meater has wifi as such, it needs a device nearby running the meater app that it can piggyback onto wifi. so need to leave a phone or ipad nearby. i haven't tried it but i believe that is what they mean by wifi.

going out of range is very annoying with the meater.

• Advertisement

Yeah

I figured out I needed to create a bridge

So Meater connects to tablet via Bluetooth and then phone connects to app on tablet via WiFi

Issue I lad the last day was that tablet needed to be much nearer to the smoker than the stated 10m Bluetooth range and kept losing connection. Luckily it was a dry day and I was able to leave the tablet sitting next to the smoker.

So far I am disappointed in the Meater.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

jerk chicken on a freezing cold Sunday.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Looks great - any chance of a recipe for the "jerk"?

mostly this. Replaced the onions with a bunch of scallions and fresh ginger instead of powdered.

Marinade over night. I drained the marinade from the chicken and cooked it down until it was the consistency of jam. Painted that on during the cook. Used cherry wood for smoke

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

This is subtitled and I'd say something the local butcher might have a hard time ordering in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

Yeah I'd say I don't love the meater as much as my other thermometers - fireboard and thermapen.

It is handy for what it does though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks,

Any recommendations for a meat thermometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Sound for that, cheers.

Very good price too! MY OH has been onto me to look for presents from her to myself, she'd be very happy with that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We've decided to do the Christmas turkey (and maybe a duck!) on the Kamado this year, in part to give us some extra space in the oven. Anybody done this before? Any advice? Beer can turkey? 🤔

Defo not beer can!

But yeah I've done it a few times. Ham too.

I've brined the turkey for 3 days and not brined it at all. Ive smoked it at various temperatures too. I wouldnt bother with the brine. Its all about cooking it to the right temp (165f).

The downside is that if you smoke it standard smoking temps, the skin will go all rubbery, so you'll need to smoke it at a higher temp (350f ish) or - what worked best for me - is smoke it at 225f and after 4 hours or so when the internal temp gets to about 150f, give it a blast in the oven at 425f/220c ish for 15/20 mins or so to finish it off and crisp the skin up. Kamodo can maintain 350f easy though so youll get a nice skin that way.

Give yourself plenty of time. More than you think you'll need. Have the turkey cooked and resting 2 hours before you're gong to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Any tips re doing a ham in the Smokey Mountain?

Would plan to cook it here and then bring to the folks a few days later so would be reheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

I would have to disagree with the comment about not bothering to brine the turkey - I think you should. Go easy on the smoke and turkey really takes on the smoke flavour - maybe don't even bother with the smoking wood. Be aware that the resting juices will taste smokey so if you're using them for gravy you'll have smokey gravy. I ruined Christmas for half the house because of this ;)

The only real benefit of brining is that it gives you more of a buffer when it comes to overcooking it. In my opinion.

It is a thing, that debate. Its a serious pain in the hole to do. A huge bird, kept cold for 3 days in a bucket or whatever.

And this sums it up for me.

"The theory is that the meat ends up juicier and moister that way. The problem is that it is a fake juiciness. Real juiciness comes from the meat holding on to its own moisture, not holding onto some water (seasoned or not) in which it has been soaked"

Essentially, it dilutes the flavour. But all this doesn't matter if you overcook the turkey, it'll be shi1te either way. Really just pay attention to the temp. Needs to be spot on.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/to-brine-or-not-to-brine-2216914

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

There's no way the that temperature will be uniform throughout the meat so either some part will be overcooked or some part will be undercooked. The brining gives that wiggle room so that all the meat stays juicy. And the left over meat on Stephens Day is where you really see the difference.

But yes, it is a pain in the hole getting the water cold and finding space in the fridge but not for 3 days, isn't it an hour per lb or something?

Can you not put it in the shed and dump ice cube in to keep it cold? I’m pretty sure that’s what my mate does.

I’ve no interest in Turkey myself. I’ll be having a porchetta for Christmas I think.

they/them/theirs

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Have been doing boneless turkey crown on the Kamado the last couple of years, having done whole birds before, and I'll never go back tbh. Way easier to get an even cook, easier to carve, easier to store leftovers in the fridge... It's just less of a headache. Cook at between 350 and 375F to internal temp of 165F, and I'd agree with the comment above - go easy on the smoke.. Go with a mild fruit wood rather than oak or hickory or anything like that, you'll probably only need one chunk.

Post edited by fitz on

Yeah I did the shed thing. Honestly didnt notice any difference.

Agree on turkey though. I do beef wellington these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd agree on the not brining.

It's just added water to your bird. If you want moist turkey, don't overcook it. It's that simple, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't get people not wanting Turkey at Christmas. I don't cook it at any other time of year, but I don't bring a tree into my house and put lights on it at any other time either. One of the main reasons turkey tastes so good is because it tastes of Christmas. Anything else would disappoint me.

I'm also interested to read so many say that they just do a crown on the bbq. I'd heard before that the whole bird is very tricky to get right. I much rather the brown meat, so if the whole bird is too tricky on the bbq, I'm not sure I'll be attempting it any year soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

I've done the turkey on the kamado the last 2 years and will again this year.

I find it cooks much faster than the formulas say, I'll be allowing myself less time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Decided to go the whole hog this year. 12lb organic bird. 24hr brine in apple juice, salt, sugar etc.

2 chunks of hickory. Approx 3 hrs at 325f/170c.

The result was outstanding I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hey folks,

looking to get a new set of cooking knives for everyday use, they are pricey but don’t have a huge budget. Any guidance on half decent brands?

• Advertisement

TK Maxx!! They usuay have stainless steel Alpina knives in there for 6 quid and the like.

Advertisement