Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Checkpoints

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Seen lots. Seem to have one in or around Knocklyon at least once a month(15 terminus, the road linking scholarstown road > taylors lane, taylors lane passing between St Enda's and the golf club).

Also passed through one on the N7 last week, but they had signs warning of garda speed checks anyhoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BigJonny

TheNog wrote: »

Maybe. With most people you can just look at them and they seem ok so you can wave them on, same with local people who you have met on occasion and know are okay..

What do you apply your police nose......

Good thing we dont ask you to spell as well then .

Yeah, is it a master and servant situation. Do you say jump and the little motorist says how high??
    We can only breathilyse a driver at the roadside on two occasions only

1. If the garda believes alcohol may have been consumed but cant get any smell or see the usual signs of being drunk - basically I could stop you after seeing you swerving on the road and your eyes are bloodshot but there is no smell and you are not talking much to me.

2. At a MAT checkpoint can only be set up on authorisation from an Inspector or higher. This instruction sets out location and times of a checkpoint and must be strictly followed.

I think it is absolutely disgraceful that I can be asked to blow into a plastic tube, when no "offence" has been commited. Absolutely degrading, but then again the people love getting degraded, as well as pleasing PC plod.

And another thing. Does anyone actually believe that checkpoints are set up of anyother reason than to check insurance and tax discs???? It is nothing more than revenue generation, just like speed checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Sounds like BigJonny has a BigProblem with the Gardai.

Sounds like BigJonny has a BigProblem with the Gardai.

BigJonny does not bend over. Most of these people do, and what's more they enjoy it.

"everything OK officer" with her best smile. Catch yourself on, love.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Interestingly I was up the North last weekend shopping and went through a TAX (and I presume insurance) checkpoint, it is done very differently then down here.

Basically there was a silver estate car parked at the side of the road, it was not a police vehicle but either had council or exchequer markings. in the back windscreen was a scrolling LED display with Road Tax checkpoint displayed and behind the vehicle was a camera on a tripod.

It looked like it was completely automated as there was no one in the vehicle so I presume fines just get sent in the post.

Compared to 2 weeks ago on my trip home on the N3 where on the new section or road between Clonee and Fairhouse there was a massive Garda checkpoint, with vans, cars and motorbikes, about 12 Gardai and flashing strobes on the road, they seemd to be just checking tax and insurance and maybe also looking for vrt dodgers as there a few customs people as well. This type of operation is a lot more costly then having an automated system with one vehicle.

• Advertisement

Furp wrote: »

Basically there was a silver estate car parked at the side of the road, it was not a police vehicle but either had council or exchequer markings. in the back windscreen was a scrolling LED display with Road Tax checkpoint displayed and behind the vehicle was a camera on a tripod.

It looked like it was completely automated as there was no one in the vehicle so I presume fines just get sent in the post.

Just before the roundabout at McDonalds in Newry, I bet.

Parked there all the time. It is the ANPR camera. Everyone not on the database will get a fine in the post. Welcome to the police state.

Last two times I passed, I noticed the two boys sleeping in the front.

Our lads are ready to introduce these. Ever noticed the overhead cameras on everylane on the malahide road, on the M1??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

BigJonny wrote: »
    BigJonny does not bend over. Most of these people do, and what's more they enjoy it.

quite the rebel Jonny, good man yourself.

tbh wrote: »
    quite the rebel Jonny, good man yourself.

I'm no rebel. I just refuse to be degraded by these clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

What do you apply your police nose......

I dont understand what you trying to say here
    Yeah, is it a master and servant situation. Do you say jump and the little motorist says how high??

Did you not see the smiley beside my comment?
    The smiley you left out of the quote?
    I think it is absolutely disgraceful that I can be asked to blow into a plastic tube, when no "offence" has been commited. Absolutely degrading, but then again the people love getting degraded, as well as pleasing PC plod.

Oh yeah I get great pleasure degrading people :rolleyes:

And another thing. Does anyone actually believe that checkpoints are set up of anyother reason than to check insurance and tax discs???? It is nothing more than revenue generation, just like speed checks.

Explain please. What revenue generation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

now i'm as free living as anyone but where is the implication with being asked to blow into a brethaliser ?

if you can't see the speed checks then you shouldn't be speeding

re insurance: you should not be on the road uninsured

re tax; it is of course revenue collection (they call the tax man the revenue inspector)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 68coupe

I'm no rebel. I just refuse to be degraded by these clowns.

careful lad, there's a lot of lads on here who are very high up on their high horses, nosebleed high, and no matter what you say you'll be wrong...;),

Where were you to defend me when I was making my rant!!! I got slaughtered!!
    Dual carriageways/motorways equal easy kills..........simple..........police come out looking great, we busted this amount of "speeding" drivers last month, (I was actually called a "lunatic" on here for doing 70 on a dual carriageway....very sad)...and the government make a killing off it...........end of. I would love to see the figures if any of you guys have them for the ratio of crashes/accidents on standard/link roads, to the amount of crashes/accidents on dual carriageways and motorways.....

Sure there ARE plenty of muppets on the road, but concentrate on them please..........and leave us, with the clean licence for 10years, and actually know where its safe to drive at any form of high speed......even an insane 70mph on a dual carriageway.....alone.

The country is littered with ****e drivers on ****e roads, I put up high mileage each week and witness first hand from the idiot overtaking going round a bend, to the pensioner crossing over a road 200metres before their turn off.......the tractors with no rear lights driving at night, to the goons who drive right up your bumper trying to bully...the crawling car you almost pummel into that's doing 20mph at the end of a long corner...to the people who just can't see beyond the bonnet!! Or how about the driver that NAILS the brake every single time a car comes towards them, at the other side of the road???Our driving test isn't severe enough. In Canada they do 3 practical exams as well as the written test. City driving, night time driving and dual carriageway/motorway driving. Over here, you fail, say "Oh Well", and drive home........ridiculous...I would also be a fan of bringing in continuous assessment, say like every 7-10 years, you do a re-test?

I know the police must witness some insane stuff on the roads, I know I have.......but its those people who need to be taken aside and helped or dealt with..............nabbing people on the motorways is shooting fish in a barrel, and I for one think its pathetic..........

I'm ALL for police presence on the roads........but catch the bad guys!!

sorry if I put anyone out here, but maybe yee need to take a bottle of cop on and relax.........

i don't bend over

i'm male i dress casually and i drive a fast car so i keep my lisence handy cos the cops always wanna see it alsong with the three tickets on the car (tax ins nct)

one guy goes to his mate "look he has his lisence all ready for me"

sure he was a saddo but i don't really think he was "bending me over"

68coupe wrote: »
    I'm ALL for police presence on the roads........but catch the bad guys!!

those who have no tax no lisence and no nct are bad guys

re. badly trained drivers ; very hard to police , the enforcement of the rules of the road has to be done on the percentages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

careful lad, there's a lot of lads on here who are very high up on their high horses, nosebleed high, and no matter what you say you'll be wrong...;).

:D:D:D HA HA HA!! I've encountered them before too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

granted, perhaps I'm guilty of generalising, but I hope you can appreciate the massive frustration, and the apparent inconcistencies in the traffic corp especially. One of my best mates is in the police. All I'm asking for is common sense and decency to prevail. Bust the REAL criminals.

Get real man....remember real criminals drive cars too!!!

How about you were coming down the road at 70 and a kid ran onto the carrigway....yes it does happen. What if you hit the child.........real criminals.........think prevention of road deaths deserve alot more attention
    My opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Here is a image of a checkpoint in Perth Australia

PICT0198.jpg

This is in fact a Beer Bus where the check ever single driver and support drivers of L drivers and R Drivers. Every car gets checked and people close to the limit are pulled over onto a side road and marched into the bus where they are subjected to further tests. If they fail the bus then they are processed in the bus and told to leave the car and go home. Somebody else can collect the car as their license will be cancelled immediately.

Best of all. If you beg for your license and can prove you need it for work they will give you a $2000(€1120) fine and give you an E license and then in 6 months retest you for and you have to go back through the R and L license scenario like a newbie. Best of all for us non idiots(whom do not drive and drive) you get to park next to them in traffic with their E plate knowing they are a F*CKING IDIOT!! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ANPR equipped squad car spotted in Limerick.

21A_Car0002.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Just after saying i hadnt come across a checkpoint in ages, low and behold theres one near the bottom of my road today, 3 gardai at the junction, they were just waving everyone through all the same, on the lookout for someone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

When do the Guards start rolling out the Christmas checkpoints?

Is there a set date or is it a gradual thing?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Zombie jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Jesus. wrote: »

Ask Garda Traffic on Twitter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

What is with all the threads coming back to life today :)

Boaty wrote: »
    Ask Garda Traffic on Twitter:)

I'm not on Twitter, that's why I'm asking y'all! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Well lets just say they started already- There was a mandatory breathaliser test in Swords the othernight.

Boaty wrote: »
    Well lets just say they started already- There was a mandatory breathaliser test in Swords the othernight.

Coming in from the M1 at Airside I bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

There were late-night checkpoints on Merrion Road and Pembroke Road on 5/6 December, pulling over everything that wasn't a taxi. Say that means the festive season is in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Don't dig up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement