Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband for poker

Options
  • 17-04-2009 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

What is mobile broadband like for poker. Going to a hotel in mullingar for a bit and gonna get the contract mainly for that. will it be reliable. Am i right in thinking i just pay 19.99 a month even if i play a session for 20 hrs. will 5gb cover me playing for 2 weeks st8 pretty much. Its vodafone btw. Is there better out there? thx

Reliable: Ideal if you need regular access to the Internet
    Cost effective: Pay just €19.99 a month
    Mobile: Our mobile broadband network now has 90% population coverage
    Flexible: Generous usage allowance of 5GB per month

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

They're all shit from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

They are fine , i survived with vodafone broadband for about 8 months while i was working around the country & still use it occasionally .
    You get a few frustrating disconnects now & then but that was when i was pretty rural , if your in a built up area you should have no such problems .
    Afaik vodafone is the best for mobile broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Good ping times are the main requirement for playing poker and unfortunately these mobile 3G things give very bad ones. Ive used my o2 one all over the country when staying away for work and it can be really annoying, for example your playing a few table and everything goes slow for a few seconds and then it wakes up and you only have half your time remaining on all your tables. Sometimes you might not even be this lucky and get disconnected if the connection is bad.

If the hotel cant supply you with an alternative then i suppose you will have to bear it. Also if you are in mullingar town then id expect both o2 and Vodafone to have good 3G covarage but if your slightly outside the town it might be worth checking who has the better coverage when you get there before buying it. I think the o2 one gives you 10G/month for a similar price fwiw and this will be loads for playing poker for 2 weeks and even loads of watching youtube/browsing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EasycomeEasygo

I’m using o2 at the moment and it is okay at times but disconnections are a major problem as they happen 4-5 hours in a six hour session. I do a lot of travelling myself so its very useful for working on but horrendous for playing poker. Ive never gone over the download caps and I use it for around six hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

they seem to have improved a good bit recently.. I originaly played on my vodafone one and it was terrible but recently I was in a hotel in Dublin and using it and it was as good as my home broadband.. absolutely perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

I've just received mobile broadband from 3..Will be hooking it up on Tuesday or so

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭suilen

I play using vodafone and rarely have problems, should be fine in any area with good coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

I've had O2 and 3 and had to hand the 3 mobile one back it was so bad. Heard they upgraded their network at xmas so may be a little better.

Megathread of problems here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306

Never had problems with O2, in fact super fast most of the time and perfect for poker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭PiperT

Not a big fan tbh. Used Vodafone for about 8-9 months due to work travel e.t.c. and ran into problems where coverage was poor. Also had issues with Vodafone network reliability. I've had a few cases where I was running deep in MTT's and connection just died. Contacted vodafone support to be told,yeah there is a problem with the cell in that area, the engineers are working on it, hopefully it will be sorted by tomorrow, yikes >:-o I also had a problem where my SIM got locked in a cell (don't ask me how) and it took them three days to figure it out and undo it. I certainly wouldn't be recommending it if you are multi-tabling and/or playing serious MTT's. Best bet is to call the hotel to see what they can offer. In some places you can buy a monthly wi-fi sub pretty cheaply. If there's a McDonalds next door then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Never had much of a problem using Full Tilt on Vodafone once I've had a decent signal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭HiCloy

I use the o2 one, it's fine in Dublin rarely any problems with it but signal is too weak to play in rural Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

I use an O2 one the odd time I'm moving around the country and as a back up at home. The only issue I've had is the patchiness of the signal in rural areas, once you get a hsdpa or umts connection it works fine.

Advertisement