Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 Brilliant Atheists

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

best ever was in rte guide, rte girl cant remember her name i think from gaeltacht in connemara was asked do you believe in life after death?

the answer was epic, but can't remember it. so i think she should be on this list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hmmm. By that criteria you'd be in the running yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

Overblood wrote: »
    Oops. My bad.

David Attenborough is an agnostic isn't he?

On Jonathan Ross recently he gave a watered down tone of a creationism question. Type "David Attenborough god" into youtube. There are two interviews (one with bbc and one with a Belgian TV show) that I think he gives an answer that seems stronger than agonsticism, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Jody Foster = Brilliant :eek:

Anyway, I heard bout 10 years ago Hawking had begun to regularly attend a church service. Doesn't mean anything, but I found it interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Anyway, I heard bout 10 years ago Hawking had begun to regularly attend a church service. Doesn't mean anything, but I found it interesting.

Where did you hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm missing some Nobel prize winners. In particular Marie Curie, the first person to win it in two separate fields and was awarded by the US President for her contributions to science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Magnus wrote: »
    I'm missing some Nobel prize winners. In particular Marie Curie, the first person to win it in two separate fields and was awarded by the US President for her contributions to science.

I was suprised she was missing too. A brilliant mind and one of my personal heros. I also heard somewhere that she pretty much self funded her intitial studies in Paris but I havent been able to find anything that backs that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

There is a dreadful lack of women, Neitzsche and Camus there.
    robindch wrote: »
    There's one hell of a lot of talent on that list.

My vote for most prominent missing atheist goes to Robert G Ingersoll:

"Who can over estimate the progress of the world if all the money wasted in superstition could be used to enlighten, elevate and civilize mankind?"

Humanist drivel. Thanks to claims like this, the world is now scattered with the debris of failed utopias.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Overblood wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

I read it in a book recently enough, but I for the life of me I can't remember which one. I've only been able to find a couple of references to it on the internet and they don't say much more than I did.

Húrin wrote: »

the world is now scattered with the debris of failed utopias.

Eh? Where? I'm getting images of Atlantis in my head...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ingersoll wrote:
    Who can over estimate the progress of the world if all the money wasted in superstition could be used to enlighten, elevate and civilize mankind?
    Thanks to claims like this, the world is now scattered with the debris of failed utopias.
    Are you saying that it's a good idea to spend money on superstitution and that enlightenment, elevation and civilization are, on the whole, bad things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

lolol there's agnostics and deists on that list and what's more they're the most impressive people on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Freud. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

There is a dreadful lack of women, Neitzsche and Camus there.

Humanist drivel. Thanks to claims like this, the world is now scattered with the debris of failed utopias.

Should the holy land be an example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Bruce Lee? Come on. He used watered down versions of Krishnamurti's philosophy to sell his films/art.

David Gilmour,Brian Eno and Douglas Adams though :D

Futurism wrote: »
    Bruce Lee? Come on. He used watered down versions of Krishnamurti's philosophy to sell his films/art.

David Gilmour,Brian Eno and Douglas Adams though :D

Films aren't real.

Advertisement