Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new PC cheaplaptops.ie

Options
  • 16-04-2009 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,

Im just about to but a new PC, I aint to tech minded. Its primary use will be for photography (photoshop CS3). It will also get used for music, internet etc.

Can any of ye guys comment on the below PC, also has anyone dealt with cheaplaptops.ie before?

Cheers,
    D:)

Gamer Extreme Level 1
    Processor {Speed}: Intel Core2Duo E5200 2.5Ghz
    Memory {Performance}: 4 Gig DDR2 Memory Installed
    Hard Disk {Storage}: 500 Gigabyte Hard Disk Drive
    Optical Drive: Optical DVD 16X Rewriter ......
    Video Card {Graphics}: Nvidia 9800GT 1 Gig Dual DVI
    Sound Card {Audio}: 6 Chanel High Definition Audio ...............
    Monitor {Display}: No Monitor Included
    Keyboard & Mouse: PS/2 Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    AntiVirus Package: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition
    Office Software: MS Office Home and Student
    Warranty Period: 1 Year Return to Base Warranty
    Operating System O/S: Windows XP Professional
    Removable USB Storage: Not Included
    Networking {Broadband}: 10/100 & Wifi Wireless..................
    TV Card: Analogue/Digital TV Card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

That will do the job very well for image editing thats more than enough how much does this cost?

Also sorry i havnt used cheaplaptops.ie before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 davert

Sorry meant to say the price!
    881 euros

Not a bad price though you dont need the office as open office works grand and will accept office documents aswell and its free.

And will you use a TV card just wondering as theres no need for one if you dont plan on using it

yeah will dump the TV card,
    How does open office compare against ms office?
    Does open office have outlook etc?

Thanks

No office doesn't have outlook but its my favourite office program its pretty easy to use you can also see if you don't like it you can just buy office at a later stage.

Also there is other mail applications for free I like to use Mozilla Thunderbird

Have a look here http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 CakeJumperer

Not a bad deal, but if you could upgrade it yourself you could get an extra 2gig of ram for less than 20euro, a 1T hard drive for 85, and if you had the know how to add a gpu a 1gig 4890 for 190euro

Wouldn't be sure about the psu though with the 4890 or even the 9800 GT fo that matter:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Not a bad deal, but if you could upgrade it yourself you could get an extra 2gig of ram for less than 20euro, a 1T hard drive for 85, and if you had the know how to add a gpu a 1gig 4890 for 190euro

Wouldn't be sure about the psu though with the 4890 or even the 9800 GT fo that matter:eek:

And how does all of that fit into a laptop?

OP, its a nice laptop, should be enough for your needs.

Diddly hes buying a PC off them not a laptop also Cake hes buying one pre built so PSU should be sufficiant. If he can build a PC he can make a better one for same price I agree with you there.

HI guys,

Thanks for all the replys.
    Its a desktop im getting, not sure I would be able to successfully build my own so will stick with a pre-built.

Regarding the operating system am I mad not going for Vista?
    I have read so many XP vs Vista on the net this week I feel my head will explode!!!
    Can any of ye quickly sum up why I should get XP or Vista.
    Also with the new windows coming next year will I be able to upgrade and will it be cheaper to upgrade from XP or Vista?

Again thanks a million for your help.
    Hopefully Ill have my mind made up this weekend and take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Get vista, you would be mad to be using xp nowadays.

Ever since Vista SP1, any small bugs have been gone.

No performance difference whatsoever and I've seen that across 4 different computers that I own.
    Directx 10 is the future and will not ever end up on xp

Windows 7 will probably upgrade from xp or vista but you can't be too sure about that so just get vista instead.

Anyone who still thinks XP is better than vista either hasn't tried Vista SP 1 or is just sh1t stirring

• Advertisement

Windows 7 will upgrage from XP and also will have a downgrade back to XP option like vista had lol. But yeah Vista is decent now in 32bit OS you will only see 3.75GB's of RAM or somthing simular so upping to 6 is pointless if your not going 64bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

davert wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im just about to but a new PC, I aint to tech minded. Its primary use will be for photography (photoshop CS3). It will also get used for music, internet etc.

Can any of ye guys comment on the below PC, also has anyone dealt with cheaplaptops.ie before?

Cheers,
    D:)

Gamer Extreme Level 1
    Processor {Speed}: Intel Core2Duo E5200 2.5Ghz
    Memory {Performance}: 4 Gig DDR2 Memory Installed
    Hard Disk {Storage}: 500 Gigabyte Hard Disk Drive
    Optical Drive: Optical DVD 16X Rewriter ......
    Video Card {Graphics}: Nvidia 9800GT 1 Gig Dual DVI
    Sound Card {Audio}: 6 Chanel High Definition Audio ...............
    Monitor {Display}: No Monitor Included
    Keyboard & Mouse: PS/2 Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    AntiVirus Package: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition
    Office Software: MS Office Home and Student
    Warranty Period: 1 Year Return to Base Warranty
    Operating System O/S: Windows XP Professional
    Removable USB Storage: Not Included
    Networking {Broadband}: 10/100 & Wifi Wireless..................
    TV Card: Analogue/Digital TV Card

I am tech minded, as are some of the others on here that have answered.

Go with Vista, it is fine since SP1 (service pack 1) and works well on all new PC's.

Do not get office, it is a waste of money. I do not understand why people still use Outlook, try Gmail. With Outlook your emails are ties to one PC, thats just crazy in the age we live in. This is 2009, Outlook was good in 1997, it had its day and not it is time to move on.

Echoing others on here, open office is just the job for Word and the like. You might also want to try GoogleDocs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i know a woman who bought a second hand laptop from www.cheaplaptops.ie,

she paid around e400 for it online, and if i owned it i'd bring it to the recycling center,about 4 years old, 2min battery life, loose screen hinges, space button keeps falling off. Even the cmos battery was dead

They were not nice on the phone and well prepared to defend any complaint.

At least with a new pc you have manufacturers warrenty so not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

That's not a good deal at all!

Get it from hardwareversand.de they have a very good pc configurator and are generally agreed as being the cheapest.

If you're not sure what components are the best for you just post on the building and upgrading forum!(this thread should prob be there already!)

you would be paying a few hundred too much!
    And with worse components...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Effluo wrote: »
    That's not a good deal at all!

Get it from hardwareversand.de they have a very good pc configurator and are generally agreed as being the cheapest.

If you're not sure what components are the best for you just post on the building and upgrading forum!(this thread should prob be there already!)

I have read good things about http://www.ankermann-pc.com/ too. Never used them though.
    I like their pc configurator

Ankermann's customer service was shockin when i "tried" to buy my pc from them! Originally it was my fault that i ordered the wrong one but then when i tried to get them to change the order they said fine and then nothing happened. About ten exchanged e-mails later and i gave up.

Thankfully they didn't pursue the attempted purchase as the pc i got in the end was much better.

Also in Ankermanns builds they use the cheapest Asus motherboards which are fine, the cheapest ram, harddrive, cases, and so forth.

Even with this hardwareversand.de are cheaper i did a few comparisons when i was buying mine a few months ago and hardwareversand.de was about 100 less expensive!

Check it out for yourself!

ArticleAvailability Delivery price HV20QT67DE Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 tray, 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Kentsfield
    incl. VAT and excl. shipping costs
    ready for dispatch 144,84 € HV1127IVDE Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3, Intel P45, ATX, DDR2, PCI-Express
    ready for dispatch 102,86 € HV30ACF7DE Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Sockel 775
    ready for dispatch 14,04 € HV20W896DE 4096MB KVR CL5 HyperX-Kit DDR2 800
    ready for dispatch 42,38 € HV20W896DE 4096MB KVR CL5 HyperX-Kit DDR2 800
    ready for dispatch 42,38 € HV203FAKDE Coolermaster Elite 330 ohne Netzteil schwarz
    ready for dispatch 30,05 € HVR550CSDE Corsair VX550W 550 Watt
    ready for dispatch (only 1 article) 73,09 € HV1024SIDE Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
    ready for dispatch 116,90 € HV1313SGDE Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II EcoGreen, 32MB
    ready for dispatch 76,45 € HV207H2ADE LG GH22NS40/NS30 bare schwarz SATA II
    ready for dispatch 21,43 € HV33EVP6DE MS Windows Vista home premium 64bit Englisch
    No information. A delivery time of more than 1 week is possible. 88,99 € HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau
    ready for dispatch 20,00 € Sum:773,41 €
    2) 773,41 €

How's this for an improvment?
    That's an upgrade to a quad core 2.66ghz processor
    an extra 4gigs of vgood ram,
    pretty much the same graphics card (performance wise),
    super power supply and i can gaurantee that the motherboard hear is a better one than they would have offered!

oh and 1000 gigs of storage, not to mention vista 64 bit so you can actually use those 8 gigs of ram.
    it's 30 euro delivery btw... you need to get yourself a wirless networking card/usb adapter too(only if you will be using wireless internet with your pc)
    Note that the card has vista 64 bit drivers there's a thread on this right now on the building and upgrading forums.

note. you could probably get a cheaper motherboard...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I'd 2nd the build above. Far better value and much better performance. Cs3 will run like a dream on it.

Hi,

ok it looks like its going to be much better value to build.
    Effluo, thanks for taking the time to put that together, do you think it would be difficult to get this going as a first build? Also could you recommend a different tower with a couple more USB ports and maybe firewire ports that would fit all the components.

Also I cant make out what this item is "No information. A delivery time of more than 1 week is possible. 88,99 € HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau
    incl. VAT and excl. shipping costs"

Thanks for the help.
    D

• Advertisement

The pc comes prebuilt!

Go to hardwareversand.de
    click on english on the top right hand corner,
    then click pc Konfigurator,
    then On the left hand side of the page click on "Basic system (CPU)"
    and the rest is just picking the parts!

Also Vista64 english is out of stock right now i'd still stick it the basket though cause hardwareversand.de are pretty good at getting stock fast.

I still think you should post this on the Building and upgrading forum cause those guys give amazing advice! Post what you want to do on the pc, the build i made for you and they will tell you the rest!

also the all the usb ports and firwire ports are at the back of the pc!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mukki wrote: »
    i know a woman who bought a second hand laptop from www.cheaplaptops.ie,

she paid around e400 for it online, and if i owned it i'd bring it to the recycling center,about 4 years old, 2min battery life, loose screen hinges, space button keeps falling off. Even the cmos battery was dead
    http://www.cheaplaptops.ie/refurbished-laptops-55-c.asp :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Some of those are at or below the minimum spec for shipping to Africa. The lower end ones would be rejected by most primary schools here.

Also hard drives wear out, the cheaper models listed would be beyond their design life and that's if they haven't been dropped.

You can pick up a netbook for about €350 that will take far more abuse than these with 10 times the HDD and several times the RAM.

http://www.cheaplaptops.ie/refurbished-laptops-55-c.asp :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Some of those are at or below the minimum spec for shipping to Africa. The lower end ones would be rejected by most primary schools here.

Also hard drives wear out, the cheaper models listed would be beyond their design life and that's if they haven't been dropped.

You can pick up a netbook for about €350 that will take far more abuse than these with 10 times the HDD and several times the RAM.

i questioned him on that and he insisted it was because modern laptops don't have com ports, he was well prepared for any complaint

i have the full conversation saved as an MP3 pm me your email and i'll send it on to ya

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Com port LOL ,
    that's straw clutching except for very, very specific uses with old hardware which is no longer commercially supported.

There are still a few LEGACY apps that won't support USB to Serial
    and a few of those listed laptops only have com ports through a proprietary docking station

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 CustomPC.ie

This information is unknown to ourselves @ Cheaplaptops.ie . We only supply laptops that our customers require and do not aggressively sell out dated units to home users. Most of the customers purchasing used/refurbished units do so for a specific purpose that nessitates this. We offer a 30 Day Exchange Policy on all Refurbished/Used laptops and would never send out a unit that is less than the unit purchased. It is necessary at times to change models available and if this happens we would contact the customer and offer the next model up. We pride ourselves on offering the best pricing and customer service no matter what price you pay for the purchase. If you have further information regards this purchase please email manager@cheaplaptops.ie.

Irelands Online Laptop SuperStore & Part of The Saracen Technologies Group.

If you have further information regards this purchase please email manager@cheaplaptops.ie.

Irelands Online Laptop SuperStore & Part of The Saracen Technologies Group.

i would not contact that email address as i don't consider cheaplaptops.ie to be a genuine business

but here is a bit more detail

a woman bought a laptop of cheaplaptops.ie for €399, and sent it back a week later because the battery was not working, and the space button fell of it, you sent it back to her saying she overcharged the battery, and YOU accused her of taking screws out of the laptop

she rang me, and asked me if i could source a new battery and keyboard for the laptop (the space button fell off again, because the clips were damaged underneath)

i looked at the laptop it had a loose screen, flat cmos battery, missing a button and a useless battery. I told her she would be better off getting a new one, and thats when she explained the full story to me, i rang you and your support guy lied and lied and lied to me on the phone, with a real "your an idiot" tone in his voice

he said that she had overcharged the battery and that i didn't know how a battery worked :rolleyes: and said "the battey only has a 1 week warrenty look at the reciept its highlighted in yellow"

he said the the laptop screen was supported by special k lock screws that can't come loose (they were loose, and probably a different screw size as they could not be tightened)

i'll see if i can dig up the call, i taped it all

eventually i told her to send it back with a solicitors letter, but she chickened out and donated it to a primary school, the school has since dumped it

EDIT corrected spellings when i calmed down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Well, won't be using this shower then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 poxymoronic

a few things you need to know about cheaplaptops.ie:

1. you will pay over the odds for the product
    2. you won't get the product you pay for
    3. parts/components will be missing
    4. they won't care
    5. they won't help
    6. in a moment of weakness they might offer you a replacement product similar to the one you buy
    7. the replacement laptop will be equally as crap as the last one
    8. they will continue to not care
    9. they will continue to be unhelpful
    10. they will deny everything that have said on their website
    11. they will be laughing at you!!!!

best of luck

a few things you need to know about cheaplaptops.ie:

1. you will pay over the odds for the product
    2. you won't get the product you pay for
    3. parts/components will be missing
    4. they won't care
    5. they won't help
    6. in a moment of weakness they might offer you a replacement product similar to the one you buy
    7. the replacement laptop will be equally as crap as the last one
    8. they will continue to not care
    9. they will continue to be unhelpful
    10. they will deny everything that have said on their website
    11. they will be laughing at you!!!!

best of luck

Sounds about right from what ive heard! Also sounds like they got your money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 poxymoronic

david7536 wrote: »
    Sounds about right from what ive heard! Also sounds like they got your money?

not mine thankfully but that of a work colleague. i was present when my colleague spoke to cheaplaptops.ie about the issues they had and i could not believe how they were spoken to and dealt with (speakerphone and half the office were listening). how they survive as a business i have no idea. and the rubbish used laptop my colleague bought from cheaplaptops.ie in the first place was twice the price it was worth if it did work correctly. stay away from them. you have been warned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement