Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I didn't win the lotto

Options
  • 16-04-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I am not a betting man and I don't usually do the lotto, but last night I followed like a sheep, every other fool who did it, into the shop did an 8 euro quick pick.

I know doing the lotto is ludicrous doing the lotto with a 1 in 8,145,060 of winning.

What is the best and simple way of making money from gambling where mabye returns are small but odds are better than the lotto.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

I am not a betting man and I don't usually do the lotto, but last night I followed like a sheep, every other fool who did it, into the shop did an 8 euro quick pick.

I know doing the lotto is ludicrous doing the lotto with a 1 in 8,145,060 of winning.

What is the best and simple way of making money from gambling where mabye returns are small but odds are better than the lotto.

winning a nobel prize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

What is the best and simple way of making money from gambling

Open a bookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Put your 4 euro on Delegator to win, 3:35 CRAVEN STAKES curently at 1.72 so if it wins you'll have €6.91c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Do the lotto in the post office,a friend of mine has won 20000euro and a few 10000euro doing it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I am not a betting man and I don't usually do the lotto, but last night I followed like a sheep, every other fool who did it
    One of those fools is €250,000 richer after last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Put your money on Dusty Carpet at 2.15 today. Never been beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

I didn't win the lotto last night either, I really should start buying lotto tickets if I want to win.

I would love to be that sheep!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

My GF asked me to do the lotto last night and gave me €4, but I forgot to get it so now im up €4.... Wooo hoo

(lets hope she doesnt read this)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

holly1 wrote: »
    Do the lotto in the post office,a friend of mine has won 20000euro and a few 10000euro doing it this way.
    Are you saying lotto tickets bought in a post office have a better odds of winning??

Please say yes so I can justify laughing this hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Ah I didn't win either :(

My dad ALWAYS does it, and always picks the same numbers.

4 of them came up last night, which would have bagged him 50 quid.

I rang him up to congratulate him, and he had forgotten to do it- to say he was outraged was an understatement!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

david wrote: »
    Put your money on Dusty Carpet at 2.15 today. Never been beaten.

Haha. I'm sure thats as old as dinosaurs in the racing world, but its new to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

I matched 4 numbers on lotto plus 1 which means I won €15. My highest ever winnings :D

Pity I spent €16 buying 8 lines - I'm down €1 overall :(

Are you saying lotto tickets bought in a post office have a better odds of winning??

Seems so,she won 20000euro for four numbers.I dont know how much she put on them.T he second amount was 1000euro (not 10000).The odds are better.

Please say yes so I can justify laughing this hard!

I dont mind you can laugh till yea drop,she laughing also:D :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

Sam Kade wrote: »
    One of those fools is €250,000 richer after last night.

If someone put all his money on a horse and the horse won, the guy is still an idiot for doing it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Financial spread betting probably the best form of gambling at the moment, just go short on everything while it's all doom and gloom. Risky business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

Ah I didn't win either :(

My dad ALWAYS does it, and always picks the same numbers.

4 of them came up last night, which would have bagged him 50 quid.

I rang him up to congratulate him, and he had forgotten to do it- to say he was outraged was an understatement!

Poor B*****d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

You'd think in this recession people wouldn't have the money for spending on lotto.... or maybe they don't. Maybe our chances are increased!! Seeing as I get such a good salary, sure maybe I could gamble a couple of euro a week??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Work out the odds for an event yourself and then look at the odds offered by a bookie, where the odds offered in the bookies are higher back this outcome.

If you do this then you will be guaranteed to make money, your only problem is how good are you at compiling odds?

Simply put if you consistently back where value is offered you will make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I do the lotto most of the time .. the most I have one is €58 last year. Was quite happy with that.

I don't check my tickets too often and a lot of the time have 5 or 6 to check at once. I'll go up and scan them in the machine at the counter and - NOT A WINNER - will appear of course. It's annoying because NOT A WINNER stays on the screen for what seems like a minute at a time.

Then I feel like a real fool after spending 5 mins checking them, crumpling them and throwing in bin... Turning to the assistant: "Can I've a quick pick for tonights lotto please?" I'm sure they are thinking - fool fool fool.

• Advertisement

You'd think in this recession people wouldn't have the money for spending on lotto.... or maybe they don't. Maybe our chances are increased!! Seeing as I get such a good salary, sure maybe I could gamble a couple of euro a week??
    chances of winning the lotto does not increase based on the amount of people who play. It could affect prize money though.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Work out the odds for an event yourself and then look at the odds offered by a bookie, where the odds offered in the bookies are higher back this outcome.

If you do this then you will be guaranteed to make money
    , your only problem is how good are you at compiling odds?

Simply put if you consistently back where value is offered you will make money.
    :confused::confused:

how could possibly hope to be better at compiling odds then bookies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It's not ludicrous because of the odds. People do win it after all! People who have the same odds as your or me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Can you or someone else explain how those odds are calculated?

holly1 wrote: »
    I dont mind you can laugh till yea drop,she laughing also:D :D;)
    Have you ever questioned how much she spend on lotto tickets.

She is obviously the exception to the rule. I once saw a shooting star in Galway, does that make it more likely to see shooting stars in Galway?

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    http://indigo.ie/~gerryq/Lotodds/lotodds.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Cross-breed a Delorian with a time machine, and travel into the past armed with a pamphlet of sporting results.

But be warned: anything you change in the past could have dire consequences in the future. I once travelled back to the past and scooped a big win on Mike Tyson getting knocked out by Buster Douglas. When I got back to the present, pensies were no longer two feet long by standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Kinetic^ wrote: »

I think there wrong its something like 5million, did it in probability in a grind the other day :D

edit
    Its 5,245,786 Thats the amount of different combinations that can come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

deco05ie wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

how could possibly hope to be better at compiling odds then bookies?
    It's not about being 'better', bookies will have odds based also on their exposure (liability) to an outcome (as well as the chance of the outcome) whereas if you compile your own your compiling based purely on your perceived chance of that outcome you don't have an exposure factored in.

Its not each to compile a book but it's beneficial long term and it gets easier.

• Advertisement

strongr wrote: »
    I think there wrong its something like 5million, did it in probability in a grind the other day :D
    I'd ask for my money back. the odds are right

Advertisement