Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray - A kip - And I'm from bray !

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Calibos wrote: »
    I was wondering why Ronan appeared in the Wicklow News beside his Dad at a council meeting....it all becomes clear :D

I can see some cross party non partisanship work being done between Mick Glynn and Ronan McManus. They were best Buds in Pres.

remember when they used to run those discos:D

lol happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

Was walking around Dun Laoghaire yesterday and couldn't help but notice how similar it is to Bray. There are a lot of closed down shops and bars at either end of the town... there are some thriving places (Good World cafe & Henry's coffee shop) as well as Insomnia & Itsa Bagel.... they've a theatre which is similar to The Mermaid and the make up of the population seems to be very similar.

I think it's a lot easier to be critical of a town than a burb - I'd always prefer to come from a place like Bray (or DL) than from somewhere like Rathfarnham or Terenure - just like the identity that comes with a town... and I think becuase it has an identity that it is easier to knock.... or like.

I've yet to encounter someone from a burb who either loves it or hates it - maybe they feel they're just from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Very good point. I'm from Rathfarnham and just consider myself a Dub. I've been living in Greystones for 7 years now and relate more to there as a town than I ever did to Rathfarnham.

The similarities between Bray and Dun Laoghaire are striking, but Bray for me has always had the air of a dying seaside resort, whereas at least Dun Laoghaire is a suburb and has a busy working harbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

ilkhanid wrote: »
    and some of the eh...people.. standing smoking outside Clancys bar would put the fear of God into you. And that's only the women.:eek: They really are a blight on a fairly decent street.

LOL You're dead right. No recession there!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

at least Dun Laoghaire is a suburb and has a busy working harbour.

This is a daft comment. Bray's isn't a natural harbour and can only accommodate a few sailing/fishing boats, while Dun Laoghaire has a huge harbour that serves cross-channel ferries. Mike - Bray's harbour was never a busy industrial harbour.

As for this comment: "at least Dun Laoghaire is a suburb". I actually find this comment quite offensive. It is a deeply moronic thing to say. Of all the accusations levelled at Bray, for someone to say "at least Dun Laoghaire is a suburb" is the most bizarre of all.

Anyway, there's a fundamental problem with any argument that Bray should model itself on Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

This is a daft comment. Bray's isn't a natural harbour and can only accommodate a few sailing/fishing boats, while Dun Laoghaire has a huge harbour that serves cross-channel ferries. Mike - Bray's harbour was never a busy industrial harbour.

I wouldn’t go a far as that really, it used to be quiet a busy fishing harbour.

The last big fishing trawler finished in 1954 - I think, I could be wrong about. There are some great photos in the Harbour Bar of the trawler

This is the reason the Harbour Bar has a 24 licence or an early morning house licence not sure which, it was to accommodate the fisherman.

It is also why they have sure strong links with Ardmore Studios; they can open early in the morning, if required for early morning film shoots

But I digress

I wouldn’t go a far as that really, it used to be quiet a busy fishing harbour.

The last big fishing trawler finished in 1954 - I think, I could be wrong about. There are some great photos in the Harbour Bar of the trawler

The point is that, as a harbour, it certainly can't be compared to Dun Laoghaire. It can't even be compared to Wicklow Town's harbour.

Commercial fishing off Bray clearly isn't viable, but it is a shame that Bray doesn't have any fish shops, the same as you might see in Skerries etc., selling the local catch.

remember when they used to run those discos:D

lol happy days

McManus never ran any discos in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Hi folks,
    Im from Rathfarnham, South Dublin. Me and a good few of the lads are thinking of heading to Bray for the night next Friday, doing a bit of a pub crawl, drinking down the waterfront and staying in ahotel. Any where to avoid or recommend?

All I know about Bray is from fishing the harbor, I went out there once about 7 years ago and witness 2 seperate bottlings in two different bars. Have times changed? It looks great during the day.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Most of the bars on the seafront tend to be dull, settled places. The best would be the Harbour Bar down at the....yes, harbour and the three bars opposite the bandstand, Jim Doyles, the Porterhouse and the Martello. Porterhouse is the best by a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The Porterhouse and Martello also do accommodation which I normally wouldn't recommend because of the noise but if your going to be out on the beer that probably won't bother you too much. Martello doing 50Euro room only at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

yes i know this place well, very disappointed with it, amount of 2 euro shops in it would drive anyone cuckoo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Im from Rathfarnham, South Dublin. Me and a good few of the lads are thinking of heading to Bray for the night next Friday, doing a bit of a pub crawl, drinking down the waterfront and staying in ahotel. Any where to avoid or recommend?

All I know about Bray is from fishing the harbor, I went out there once about 7 years ago and witness 2 seperate bottlings in two different bars. Have times changed? It looks great during the day.

Thanks

Ok basically you're just going from one end of the seafront to the next?

Harbour - Yes, it's ok - however some would say avoid - The decor is a bit higgledy piggledy and dated but the place has character

Hibernian - Think it's alright - Haven't been in it years

Katie Gallaghers - Avoid - Dodgy crowd

O Driscolls - Nice bar, nice crowd

Martello, Porterhouse, Jim Doyles - Great pubs - definitely visit

The Esplanade Hotel - Ok - but full of english people

The Strand Hotel - It's fine but very quiet

If you are visiting elsewhere in the town avoid Chrissy Ds, Clancys, The Dargle Tavern and possibly consider visiting Duffs and The Vevay Inn

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Jebus, when I saw that description I thought you were talking about Dun Laoghaire!!

I thought you were talking about Diego Garcia Enniscorthy or insert town name of your choice here. .

irishbird wrote: »
    i left bray 15 years ago because it was a kip and it still is a kip.

its nice go back there every now and again to see the family but you couldnt pay me enough money to live in the place full time

I left in 1989, after 30 years in the place, and wild horses wouldn't drag me back to live there although I do call back from time to time. I posted elsewhere on these boards about restoring the chairlift - one reply and that from someone based in Germany......!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Ok basically you're just going from one end of the seafront to the next?

Harbour - Yes, it's ok - however some would say avoid - The decor is a bit higgledy piggledy and dated but the place has character

Hibernian - Think it's alright - Haven't been in it years

Katie Gallaghers - Avoid - Dodgy crowd

O Driscolls - Nice bar, nice crowd

Martello, Porterhouse, Jim Doyles - Great pubs - definitely visit

The Esplanade Hotel - Ok - but full of english people

The Strand Hotel - It's fine but very quiet

If you are visiting elsewhere in the town avoid Chrissy Ds, Clancys, The Dargle Tavern and possibly consider visiting Duffs and The Vevay Inn

I'd also say that Holland's is very nice.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This thread is veering off topic. Lets being it back in line please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

I have to say I find this a strange thread. I am not originally from Bray but moved just to the North of the town (Woodbrook Glen) over a year ago having lived in the city centre and Killiney previously. There are a fair few problems in Bray, certainly (McDonalds being one but not the worst it has to be said) but there is also something very charming about the town. I love being able, on a Saturday morning, to wander around various shops and get my shopping after a walk on the seafront. Meats and cheese in the Campo di Fiori deli (top tip parma ham here WAY cheaper and better quality than in supermarkets! same with the parmesan), meat in the butchers near the church (dunno the name), veggies in Get Fresh (a real green grocers...YAY). Only thing missing is a fishmongers. For a foodie like me Anvil is a heavenly shop and I love it. Also some excellent book shops for wandering around. There is always an art exhibition of some kind on somewhere. There are loads of places where a delicious coffee can be had while reading the paper. If we want Bray to imrpove we have to a) remember the great stuff that's here already, and b) spend our money in the town in small traders. There are fine places for a bite to eat if you want something relaxed (maybe not something fancy). The Esplanade is a beautiful Victorian facade. If people stopped flinging rubbish around the place the beach would be truly beautiful. Accentuate the positive people, and seriously consider moving back to Bray for those people who were saying they were half thinking about it. House prices extremely reasonable right now (more's the pity for those of us who bought a year ago but anyway) and there is excellent value to be had. Everything you need is either here or in Greystones/DL and it something else to wake up in the morning with a sea breeze and the Sugar Loaf looking at you from your window. For a country girl like me this is a great little town.

I have to say I find this a strange thread. I am not originally from Bray but moved just to the North of the town (Woodbrook Glen) over a year ago having lived in the city centre and Killiney previously. There are a fair few problems in Bray, certainly (McDonalds being one but not the worst it has to be said) but there is also something very charming about the town. I love being able, on a Saturday morning, to wander around various shops and get my shopping after a walk on the seafront. Meats and cheese in the Campo di Fiori deli (top tip parma ham here WAY cheaper and better quality than in supermarkets! same with the parmesan), meat in the butchers near the church (dunno the name), veggies in Get Fresh (a real green grocers...YAY). Only thing missing is a fishmongers. For a foodie like me Anvil is a heavenly shop and I love it. Also some excellent book shops for wandering around. There is always an art exhibition of some kind on somewhere. There are loads of places where a delicious coffee can be had while reading the paper. If we want Bray to imrpove we have to a) remember the great stuff that's here already, and b) spend our money in the town in small traders. There are fine places for a bite to eat if you want something relaxed (maybe not something fancy). The Esplanade is a beautiful Victorian facade. If people stopped flinging rubbish around the place the beach would be truly beautiful. Accentuate the positive people, and seriously consider moving back to Bray for those people who were saying they were half thinking about it. House prices extremely reasonable right now (more's the pity for those of us who bought a year ago but anyway) and there is excellent value to be had. Everything you need is either here or in Greystones/DL and it something else to wake up in the morning with a sea breeze and the Sugar Loaf looking at you from your window. For a country girl like me this is a great little town.

I completely agree - Yes Bray has it's many problems but there are many things in the town that are charming and pretty and we need to accentuate those positives - I like the idea that the chameber of commerce recently came up with of promoting business in the town. For me - I love the town - I feel incredibly spititually connected - indeed I recently found my great grandparents on the 1911 census in Bray - yes there are a lot of problems but there are a lot of good things too

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Only thing missing is a fishmongers.

(Slightly off topic but) there's one in the Village Arcade but not being a big fish eater I can't vouch for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

(Slightly off topic but) there's one in the Village Arcade but not being a big fish eater I can't vouch for it

love my hometown but the downfall I see in Bray was 10 years ago with the removal of Capranis, Kings & Dixons & that absolute disgrace of a hoarding. Why is no one being prosocuted for that effort of a florintine centre. The amount of shops shut, jobs lost & bad press the town gets because of that eyesore. Beautiful buildings destroyed with girders & filth really.

Funding is very short in the town but credit must be handed to the town council road sweepers down the seafront. Its immaculate. You see a cigarette butt when you walk down the prom its gone when you come back. They take such pride in their work. The town gets really bad press about dirt & filth on the seafront in the summer. I have witnessed gurriers from other parts coming in for the day drinking & tossing cans & even emptying bins all over the place. There is no funding for the upkeep of Bray head & cliff walk. But do you ever see the group in yellow vests up there? I found out its a voluntary group of local people who pick up rubbish & are now even landscaping the bottom of bray head . Many people slate the town but lets take out hats off to people like them who actually give a damn about the town they live in. There are many retired men involved who I personally feel its shame on me when a 70 odd year old man is up there weekly cutting down trees & strimming grass just to try & improve his hometown.

jenzz wrote: »
    love my hometown but the downfall I see in Bray was 10 years ago with the removal of Capranis, Kings & Dixons & that absolute disgrace of a hoarding.Funding is very short in the town but credit must be handed to the town council road sweepers down the seafront. Its immaculate. You see a cigarette butt when you walk down the prom its gone when you come back. They take such pride in their work.

I know I've edited your post jenzz but I let out a notalgic sigh at the mention of Caprani's, King's and Dixon's:rolleyes:

As for the seafront agree 100%. Even my folks, Dun Laoghaire pier walkers all their lives, now go there for their daily constitutional. It's always immaculate and, yeah, full credit to the team that do the work down there and make it such an enjoyable amenity.

I know I've edited your post jenzz but I let out a notalgic sigh at the mention of Caprani's, King's and Dixon's:rolleyes:

As for the seafront agree 100%. Even my folks, Dun Laoghaire pier walkers all their lives, now go there for their daily constitutional. It's always immaculate and, yeah, full credit to the team that do the work down there and make it such an enjoyable amenity.

The seafront is a very poor shadow of what it once was in the 1960s - even the mid 1970s - and it needs a monumental facelift to bring it back to its former glory. The only improvement (?) has been the Aquarium thing that occupies the former public toilets/cafeteria block opposite the Fun Palace. Does anybody even remember the pier that use to extend from the other side of it? Only built circa 1969/71 ? and already long forgotten. Bray UDC let the whole town, and the seafront in particular, go to the dogs and anybody saying otherwise doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

Does anybody even remember the pier that use to extend from the other side of it? Only built circa 1969/71 ?

Ah now you see I'm only a blow in (albeit originally from close to Bray) so no I don't remember the pier you mention. The only point of reference I have for periods before 1975ish are the books by Henry Cairns et al.

I don't/can't disagree with what you say but my point was to single out BTC employees for a job particularly well done with maintaining the prom and I stick with that-they deserve credit for their hard work despite what their employers may or may not be doing. Another notable recent improvement is the spa treatment type place in sitiu beside Sealife. Hope it does well because that was one drab part of the builidng before they moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Ah now you see I'm only a blow in (albeit originally from close to Bray) so no I don't remember the pier you mention. The only point of reference I have for periods before 1975ish are the books by Henry Cairns et al.

I don't/can't disagree with what you say but my point was to single out BTC employees for a job particularly well done with maintaining the prom and I stick with that-they deserve credit for their hard work despite what their employers may or may not be doing. Another notable recent improvement is the spa treatment type place in sitiu beside Sealife. Hope it does well because that was one drab part of the builidng before they moved in.

That was my point too - yes a facelift would be lovely but rather than knock the whole town with negatives these guys do a great job & they deserve the credit for such a good job.

Another thing I noticed today was 10 years of hoarding has been removed on the main street to reveal..... a building site. Is there not a legality somewhere that they must return it to the way it was before they destroyed it?

Also must add Hollands is a really nice place & such nice staff. Also the little coffee shop halfway down the Quinnsboro rd past Dunnes. I think the lady who owns the coffee shop in the old boat house owns this ( ive seen her work in both) & she is really pleasant. Lovely lunch in it away from the 1pm madness in the few little places on the main st. Oh & also Jim Doyles.. Food fantasticly consistant - love going there for my dinner & the bit of humour with the staff... & of course match days oh & the snow on christmas eve.... Getting all excited now at the thought of it snowing there this year. Isnt that so cool that you can say you get snow on Bray beach lol

The seafront is a very poor shadow of what it once was in the 1960s - even the mid 1970s - and it needs a monumental facelift to bring it back to its former glory. The only improvement (?) has been the Aquarium thing that occupies the former public toilets/cafeteria block opposite the Fun Palace. Does anybody even remember the pier that use to extend from the other side of it? Only built circa 1969/71 ? and already long forgotten. Bray UDC let the whole town, and the seafront in particular, go to the dogs and anybody saying otherwise doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

Some of what went on was beyond the control of councillors - A drop in tourism for example If you look at similar towns in the UK that had a boom in the 60s - this dropped hugely when foreign travel to spain etc boomed. Also the chamber of commerce never particularly helped the situation - It was and is made up of a clique of backslapping blueshirts - I mean what kind of business chamber is run by a ballet teacher?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    - I mean what kind of business chamber is run by a ballet teacher?

I don't know, what kind of business chamber is run by a ballet teacher??

:D

I miss the mini-golf on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

tattoo wrote: »
    I miss the mini-golf on the beach

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 8 phrage

each restaurant is lazy and mean and dull. the indian sit down and the 5 chinese are particularly vile. they simply do not know how to cook.
    the town is dying - killed by the greed and neglect of a half dozen landlord families -
    the pubs with the exception of porterhouse sell predictable beers and indifferent food at silly prices
    the royal hotel sells 1950's mammy food overcooked at 21st century prices, presided over by a midget manager with adhd guaranteed to give diners indigestion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jason197

Hi,
    I've lived in bray for 5 years and having lived in different countries i have to say the local shop's have no manners and don't even acknowlege you( you will be lucky if they look at you!!,too busy chatting to one another!!) when you buy from them. As coming from Scotland myself where the local people and local shops (staff or owners) will greet you with a ''hello'' ''please & ''thankyou'' no matter how their day is going or how bad the weather is. The one shop i detest the most is Dunnes on quinsborough rd, the staff are inpolite, not very helpfull and are always stocking shelves and blocking up the aisles. Am i alone in thinking this?? :(:(

Advertisement