Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism and genocide

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Wicknight wrote: »
    In 1948 the Kinsey reports reported that 68% of white males had had at least one sexual encounter with a prostitute and that for unmarried males sex with a prostitute accounted for about 10% of all reported sexual activity (meaning on average for every 10 sexual encounters an unmarried had, with the same person or not, 1 of them was with a prostitute)

What country is that based on? I'm willing to be shown that I am wrong concerning Ireland, infact I'd even appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Jakkass wrote: »
    What country is that based on? I'm willing to be shown that I am wrong concerning Ireland, infact I'd even appreciate it.
    North America as far as I know

Do you have statistics for Ireland?

Wicknight wrote: »
    North America as far as I know

Do you have statistics for Ireland?

I've noticed that the crime statistics don't actually deal with prostitution, the amount of recorded offences increased from 159,814 in 1950, 278,264 in 1973, to 406,163 in 2006. But no, I don't have anything apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I've noticed that the crime statistics don't actually deal with prostitution, the amount of recorded offences increased from 159,814 in 1950, 278,264 in 1973, to 406,163 in 2006. But no, I don't have anything apart from that.

What's that per capita?

I like the Bible, it's a highly entertaining read. I was reading the NT recently (Matthew I think) and it went straight from talking of ten virgins with lamps waiting for the bridesgroom with half been locked out of the wedding to the parable about the three servents entrusted with money while their Lord was away. I found the virgin one particuarly interesting as 5 of them had oil for their lamps and five didn't, but when the 5 that didn't asked to borrow oil from the other five, they were refused. Lest the five with oil would not have enough. So the five without went to buy oil, then the bridesgroom came and they were locked out of the wedding (which I think at this point is likened to the kingdom of God). Surely here, the Bible is discouraging charity? I don't know, it just makes me wonder how Christians can claim there book is the perfect guide to ethics and morality.

Just to clarify gaynorvader: Read the context of Matthew 24 and Matthew 25, it is to do with end times and the final judgement.

The women weren't prepared when the Lord came, when they returned they were too late, the Lord said to them that they never knew Him. They weren't ready.

If you look to Matthew 7:21-23, it says that not everyone who cries "Lord, Lord" will be saved, but the one who does the will of the Father. It then goes on to say, "I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; go away from me you evildoers'".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I mean that these things have exascerbated, or have come into light since the secularisation of this country.
    Quite wrong. I can't find them on google, but there are plenty of written accounts of how many prostitutes there were hanging around the city center -- Stephen's Green, up and down the streets around O'Connell Street. According to McQuaid's recent biography, sixpence was the going rate for an underage prostitute. The Legion of Mary, for example, was set up in the early 20's to to combat widespread public prostitution, and the consequent widespread public health problems that arose from it.

There's no evidence at all to suggest that prostitution is more widespread now than it was at just about any earlier period. Quite the opposite really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Should have explained what I meant by that. I meant that some of these things were introduced into society, or have indeed have gotten worse since the secularisation of Ireland.

I know you won't, but I'll ask anyway, can you explain in a short paragraph specifically what you mean by "the secularisation of Ireland", what was done, when it was done and what would need to be done to "unsecularise" it.
    So you don't believe that issues of sex-trafficking, and prostitution and cases thereof have gotten worse since say the 1950's?

I don't think that the level of prostitution has changed much, sex trafficking on the other hand is more a factor of economics - meaning that in secular Ireland there isn't enough of a supply of prostitutes and it's worth bringing them in from poorer countries. This is many ways reflects the success of secularisation, there are less poorer deprived Irish women prepared to work as cheap prostitutes - the fact that foreign criminal gangs have moved in to fill a gap in the market is one more example of the law of unforeseen consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Just to clarify gaynorvader: Read the context of Matthew 24 and Matthew 25, it is to do with end times and the final judgement.

The women weren't prepared when the Lord came, when they returned they were too late, the Lord said to them that they never knew Him. They weren't ready.

If you look to Matthew 7:21-23, it says that not everyone who cries "Lord, Lord" will be saved, but the one who does the will of the Father. It then goes on to say, "I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; go away from me you evildoers'".

Ah, this is the problem with the Bible; there are too many versions. The version I had doesn't quite show this in it's text. I'll forgo furthur discussion on this as it's OT, thanks for clarifying though! :P

Advertisement