Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long Do the Cravings Go on For?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

when I gave up last time once I was off them for three days I had no more cravings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

yeah cravings are gone i guess?! well i dunno I think ill still think about having a smoke, just not as full on as the early days.

don't think they ever really go away.... its always there in the back of your mind. I got my motovation and thats what im stickin to.
    I don't think its been as hard as i expected. In fact do i dare say ..."easy"?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Day 3 now. The cravings are still there, but they are not as bad this morning as the last two days (I would normally have smoked 5 or 6 cigerettes by this time). I have got into the habit of eating a 'Chupa Chups' lollipop whenever a strong urge to smoke hits me, and I find that keeps me distracted enough, and keeps my hands and mouth busy enough to forget about it.

Yesterday evening was probably the worst, I was very twitchy, cold sweats etc. You would swear I was a bloody heroin addict by the way I was acting =)

I am noticing some beinifits already, my mouth does not taste like someone took a dump in there when I wake up, and unexpectadly, I am sleeping much better. I am one of these people that normally has to set my alarm 30 min earlier because I will hit 'Snooze' three or four times before getting up, but the last two days I have been wide awake straight away!

Hows all the fellow quitters doing?!:pac:

Hitting a week now, I'm fine Its as good as done. Rewarding myself with a trip to vegas next week. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Day 12.
    Was out last night, nice restaurant, lots of delish wine. Not tempted to smoke once.
    Very happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

AlcoholicA wrote: »

Hitting a week now, I'm fine Its as good as done. Rewarding myself with a trip to vegas next week. :D

don't smoke in Vegas !

last night was my 1 week mark.... and it was the first time i had a baaaaaaaaaaad craving. I think the 6 beers made me want them. I came close to falling, but i stuck to my guns :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

Over 2 weeks and chest is feeling so much clearer and I don't get breathless walking up several flights of stairs now. I might bring a bag of sweets with me the first time I go back to the pub this week just in case though I'm hoping gum will be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Three weeks, not getting complacent though as it is usually around three month mark I get bored and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Today is day 6 for me now, I was out twice over the weekend, but it was not too bad. I decided to pack in the drink for a few months too, so that removes alot of the temptation. I did find saturday pretty hard though, I went to visit a 'friend' and she is a smoker, it's a bit hard not smoking when the person in bed next to you is smoking away.

I'm sleeping fantasticly, but I think that all the swimming has something to do with that too (Doing an awful lot atm, maybe 1k per day).

• Advertisement

Ok im fine apart from when I drink, ya know the whole 3 drinks in and the "ah f*** it" attitude kicks in. So i best not be drinkin..

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Don't beat yourself up too much, I quit on christmas eve. I had 2 smokes about 4 months ago when I was out drinking with a friend. Luckily it didn't lead to anymore. I ended up half quitting drinking just to play it safe. I'm sure your doing great though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Over three weeks in, and right now I would karate chop my left testicle for a cigarette, and that has been the case for two days. We'll see how it goes.:rolleyes:

dan719 wrote: »
    Over three weeks in, and right now I would karate chop my left testicle for a cigarette

Considering that the nicotine is out of your body now, why do you think that is?

In my experiences smoking and the want/need to smoke really has very little to do with the nicotine.... It always well after that 3 day/72day phase that the cravings kick in, which is when the nictoine alls gone.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've smoked for 26 years, 20 a day. I have never even toyed with the idea of stopping and never tried either, obviously.

2 days ago I decided in an instant that I would stop and I did - cold turkey, no gums, patches etc. I don't experience headaches but, oh boy!, I do experience a constant tightness of the my chest. I did read up on it and I know it's one of the withdrawal symptoms but it's a pain in the butt as I can't sleep properly with that constant uncomfortable feeling.

Did anyone else experience that?? I'll have 48 hours done come 11pm and I really hope the chest tightness will be gone tomorrow...

I feel a little weird chest discomfort sometimes, I wouldn't class it as pain just discomfort.. I usually take some slow deep breaths and it passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

EGAR wrote:
    I'll have 48 hours done come 11pm

you are very very close to that point where the bad feeling goes away.
    just try get through today whatever it takes.

when you wake up tomorrow the nicotine will be gone from your body.

EGAR wrote: »

Did anyone else experience that??.

I had that on day 2 and 3.
    Very strong uncomfortable tightness in my chest.
    Horrible.
    By day 4 it was mostly gone. By 5 and 6 it was gone.
    Keep reminding yourself that you are nearly there.

Hang in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Thank you for all the replies!

Yay, almost another 24 hours done. The chest tightness is still there but not nearly as bad as yesterday and the day before.

I did alot of driving today which would usually offset alot of smoking but I got a packet of mints and some sparkling water and it was ok although I did have some strong cravings towards evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I'm now off the smokes 2 weeks, I have decieded to upgrade my car so I have incentive not too smoke.

Any one else getting wicked hart burn since giving up

been over 2 weeks now. madness.
    now, I'm not saying this is because of smoking it could be just coincidence.. but since i quit as in the past 2 weeks.. I don't feel like myself... I wouldn't say depressed... but I just feel pretty low about certain things..

anyone else felt a change in mental state?:(:o

Three weeks today for me.
    Never, ever thought I'd be here.

AlcoholicA can't say I've felt it myself, but my family have pointed out that they think I'm agitated and fidgety.
    I guess, I need to keep busy. That hasn't gone away. That could be just me without the fags though, can't say I remember, it's been so long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'm off them about 8 months now, and I can honestly say that I haven't had one craving to touch another cigarette. I think I was just glad to be getting over them as the hours/days/weeks went by, as opposed to missing them.

The key, imo, is to ensure you don't let yourself believe you're missing out on something because that will only lead to you wanting to light up asap, if you can convince yourself that they add nothing to your life and therefore shouldn't create a void when taken away, you'll get over it much quicker.

Well........ after two weeks I gave in while in vegas..... The idea of smoking and drinking indoors?! at the same time?! That sent me over the edge, I mean i was in vegas, thats not gonna happen again, so I had to.

Well that was 4 days ago, back to normal now.:pac:

what happens in vegas, stays......

Four weeks today!
    \o/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Well done dude on giving up. The cravings only last minutes, so keep the head up. I still feel cravings and I'm off them since October.

Advertisement