Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call your parents?

Options
  • 14-04-2009 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Some people refer to their parents as "The Aul Pair" "Mam & Dad" "Ma & Da" "The Folks" and I'm sure there are many others....

But I was in a shop the other day and a bloke in the queue behind me was on his phone..... I'd say he was in his mid to late 20's - and he was saying "I'm going to pick Mammy up on the way home" ...... who calls them Mammy & Daddy at that age???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm 25 and I call my mother 'Mother' and my dad 'Dad'... and I don't think that'll ever change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Uncle and Sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

"You there at the sink get me a cup of tea."

ah no - Mom & Dad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I call my old man the old bo**ilx because that is what he is. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Mom or mum. I've lived in Ireland about seven months now and I've never actually heard anyone say "mam".. it just sounds so incredibly strange to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

mom and dad - if i call them mother or father they go mad - as for mummy or daddy they would think i was gone abit mad - i am 32 got outta saying mummy and daddy bout aged hhmmm no sorry never said mummy or daddy - too pompous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The birth givers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

ma, da:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Mam and Dead*

*The auld fella popped his clogs last year.

Some people refer to their parents as "The Aul Pair" "Mam & Dad" "Ma & Da" "The Folks" and I'm sure there are many others....

But I was in a shop the other day and a bloke in the queue behind me was on his phone..... I'd say he was in his mid to late 20's - and he was saying "I'm going to pick Mammy up on the way home" ...... who calls them Mammy & Daddy at that age???

maby he was on the fone to his young child talking aout his girlfriend?im shure alot of people call their other halfs mummy when talking to their kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

When referring to them to others, I call them mother and father.
    When they were alive, I called them Ma and Da.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Mam and Dead*

*The auld fella popped his clogs last year.

Tasteful.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

liah wrote: »
    Mom or mum. I've lived in Ireland about seven months now and I've never actually heard anyone say "mam".. it just sounds so incredibly strange to me.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "mom" in real life..... definitely not anyone Irish - except on Boards, but then I don't know their nationalities. I always assumed that "mom" had some American influence?... Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

marko91 wrote: »
    maby he was on the fone to his young child talking aout his girlfriend?im shure alot of people call their other halfs mummy when talking to their kids

Not that I was Ear-wigging or anything but judging by his conversation he wasn't talking to anyone's kids....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The auld Führer

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

liah wrote: »

mam and dad - in my family thats considered posh - most say ma and da.

Mom is just .... weird.

Some of my friends do say mammy alright - though they are all from outside Dublin. No one I know in Dublin says Mammy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

star-pants wrote: »
    I'm 25 and I call my mother 'Mother' and my dad 'Dad'... and I don't think that'll ever change
    Yes it will. You will be 26 next birthday. I still call em mam and dad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Mam and Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

mum and dad

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

I call em mam and dad!

My mam (48) still calls her mam 'mammy'!

• Advertisement

I call em mam and dad!

My mam (48) still calls her mam 'mammy'!

thats cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 DW7

I say Mam and Dad. I agree that mammy and daddy are mainly used by people outside Dublin. Ma and Da is a real city thing to say. I would also like to add that the only people that i know who say mum are posh people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Mam and himself

why would ya call your da himself

Not that I was Ear-wigging or anything but judging by his conversation he wasn't talking to anyone's kids....

ah kk guess youd know it wasnt a kid by the conversation....im guessing he was really posh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

DW7 wrote: »
    I would also like to add that the only people that i know who say mum are posh people.

I'm not posh! How dare you old boy say such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Tasteful.....:rolleyes:

Knowing my father, he'd have laughed at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Mam and Dad, but my OH (from Kerry) calls her mother Mom. It's not an Americanism, quite normal in those parts.

They also shorten Michael to Mike instead of Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

regob wrote: »
    why would ya call your da himself
    Dont know always have my brothers too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Pinky Pixie

It depends on what the moment calls for...

If I am looking for hugs its "hug me mother".....If I'm pissed off it's "feck off mam"....If I'm talking about her it's "the mammy"...if I want something it's "Mammmmmmmmy"

Its pretty much "Daddddddddddddddddddy" for everything ...love my pops :p

Advertisement