Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips and Advice for the Irish Motorcycle Driving Test!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Orla8 wrote: »
    thank you so much - that's really helpful. I was panicking there thinking I need to demonstrate how to check the chain, brake pads etc. thanks again. Orla

Remember the word - P.O.W.D.E.R

P=Petrol (Where you put it and how you know you are empty (How gauge works, or the reserve if no gauge, I actually got asked this in my test)

O=OIL (How to check it and where it goes in)

W=WATER (If you have a water cooled engine know how and where to top up coolant, I got asked this also)

D=DAMAGE (Checking for damage)

E=ELECTRICS (Making sure lights are working and how to turn hazards on if needed etc)

R=RUBBER (minimum thread depth and good overall condition

Also if your bike has a centre stand be able to put it on and take it off the stand confidently. By able to walk with the bike confidently (Rest the bike on hip ALWAYS when walking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Making progress means you do the speed limit on the road in question.
    So if its a 60KPH road,you go up to that speed and maintain it,if traffic allows.
    If its 80kph then you do that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Orla8

Thank you, very helpful

how did you answer to the question about checking or adjusting the slack in your chain?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Orla8 wrote: »
    how did you answer to the question about checking or adjusting the slack in your chain?

On the swing arm on my bike it says the slack parameters - 35-45mm. The bike manual also has a section about the slack and how to properly adjust. Just read your manual.

• Advertisement

thanks Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Goose81

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Remember the word - P.O.W.D.E.R

P=Petrol (Where you put it and how you know you are empty (How gauge works, or the reserve if no gauge, I actually got asked this in my test)

O=OIL (How to check it and where it goes in)

W=WATER (If you have a water cooled engine know how and where to top up coolant, I got asked this also)

D=DAMAGE (Checking for damage)

E=ELECTRICS (Making sure lights are working and how to turn hazards on if needed etc)

R=RUBBER (minimum thread depth and good overall condition

Also if your bike has a centre stand be able to put it on and take it off the stand confidently. By able to walk with the bike confidently (Rest the bike on hip ALWAYS when walking)

Did you do your IBT with Mick haha?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its actually on many websites Goose.......http://www.saferrider.org/the-garage/p-o-w-d-e-r-checks/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

same with

MILF

Mirror

Indicate

Lifesaver

****ing manoeuvre!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Coming up for air

Great thread!

I have my test this week.

For the technical checks, what does checking the steering and brakes entail?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Boilermaker1

Hi

I know this post is a few years old but the information is this correct.

Just passed my test today thanks to this post

I'm also aware this thread is old, but it comes up high in Google searches, and it helped me out. So I figured I'd post my experience from a week ago, about what was involved:

I passed mine, on my first attempt, last week. So it's fresh enough in my head.

Arrive at the centre a little earlier than your time. Reverse your bike into the parking space, as far back as you can (but leave enough room to walk around behind it).

Have your learner permit, your logbook (if your logbook doesn't show the bikes power output, or if it just says 55555, then you may need a certificate of power output). Bring your insurance details and bring your IBT certificate. Make sure to bring a pair of standard, 3.5mm jack headphones (with no microphone, just a normal pair of headphones).

When you arrive and park the bike, make sure you've a helmet and hi-vis vest with the L front and back. That's all that's legally required, but you'll set a good impression if you also have pants, jacket and boots that are bike gear/safety gear (I had a leather jacket and jeans, with obvious kneepads/shoulder pads etc.).

Examiner will bring you into the office and sit you down. He'll ask for the above documents and confirm your name/address. He'll ask a couple of questions, for example:

Q: What would make a road surface slippery?

A: Wet weather, fallen leaves, oil or fuel spills, etc

Q: What affect would wet weather have on your stopping distance?

A: It would double it.

Q: When would you see two red lights flashing together? (this one caught me out)

A: A railway crossing (or fire station, apparently).

Then he'll have a few pages of road signs on the desk, and he'll randomly point at them. You tell him what the sign he points at means.

At this point, you whip out your headphones and he gives you a walkie talkie with a strap that goes over your shoulder. You connect the earphones to it and he tests that you can hear him okay. Then you move out to the bike in the car park.

He walks around the bike and makes sure your legal (tax disc displayed, tyres aren't obviously bald, number plate is legal). He'll ask you where different things are on the bike (horn, killswitch, etc.) and will get you to demonstrate that all lights are working. He will ask you some practical stuff now, like:

Q: What's the legal minimum tread depth on a bike tyre?

A: 1mm (1.6mm on a car)

Q: How would you check the oil/brake fluid/coolant?

A: Varies from bike to bike, answer specifically about your bike

Q: What checks might you carry out regularly or before a long journey?

A: P.O.W.D.E.R Checks (this is what i rambled on about, and he was happy enough).

You'll then be asked to push your bike forward. They can ask for about 5 meters, but if you've parked your bike back in the space, like i advised above, they may only get you to do 2-3 foot to keep you within the parking space. Move the bike forward by using both hands on the handlebars, and leaning the bike on your hip for extra stability. Before you move the bike, look around you, make sure it's safe to move it and there are no hazards.

Then he'll go to his car, you'll get onto your bike. When getting onto the bike, reach your right hand over and engage the front brake before you try to get onto the bike. Remember: it's not a driving test, it's a safety test. Safety, safety, safety.

You'll then ramble around on the roads for half an hour doing nothing in particular. If you cross a solid white line at a stop sign, it's game over. So be careful of road markings.

Every 20 seconds check your mirrors. One at at time. Look at left mirror, look straight ahead, then look at right mirror. Don't do it like you're watching a tennis match.

Every turn you take: Mirror, Indicate, Lifesaver, Manoeuvre.

(don't forget to cancel your indicators)

Every lane change: Mirror, Indicate, Lifesaver, Manoeuvre.

Approaching your Roundabout exit: Mirror, Indicate, Lifesaver, Manoeuvre.

Also, incase i haven't mentioned it: don't forget to cancel your indicators!

Follow all speed signs accurately. You'll get away with speeding up and down a couple of km/h, but not large amounts. Practice holding a steady speed.

Mirrors and Lifesaver when entering a higher speed zone. Mirrors when entering a lower speed zone. Mirrors and reduction in speed for speed ramps.

When sitting gormlessly in bumper-to-bumper traffic, don't tune out because you're not doing anything. Still be checking your mirrors. Never put two feet down at the same time unless it's a fraction of a second (to make sure you're in the right gear, etc). Should always be just your left foot down.

You have to do Four different tasks in the test.

U-Turn

Arguably the most difficult. You'll likely be taken to a road that's approximately 7 meters wide (a standard 2-lane roadway). You'll be asked to stop on the left where it is safe to do so (ie; don't stop in a bus bay, on double yellows, in hatched markings, etc). Then do the U-Turn

In order: You're currently parked on the left, so: Right Mirror, Right Indicator, Shoulder Check (don't take your hands off the handlebars), move off, Lifesaver, U-Turn. Now pull in and park on the left (left mirror, indicator, lifesaver, and stop).

Obstacle Avoidance

Examiner will tell you to pull in on the left and stop. He'll drive down the road in front of you and park. You'll then move off towards his car, getting up to the speed limit. You'll Mirror, Indicate, Lifesaver and Manoeuvre around his car. You treat this like any other car on the road, it's not a sudden swerve or emergency move.

'Slow Walk'

This goes by a few names, but this is the one I've seen it go by a few times. Tester will walk at a fast pace on the footpath beside you, and you'll match his speed. You'll do this by feathering the cluth or gentle braking (or both).

You won't be panic-wobbling your hands left and right to keep your balance. To avoid this, you'll look straight ahead and focus on a point in the distance (a road sign, a car, etc.).

Reduction in Speed

For this one, you'll be brought to a road with an 80kph limit. You'll be instructed to get to a speed of at least 65kph, and then will be instructed to hit the brakes, and reduce your speed to 20kph (but not stop, and don't lock/skid your wheels). You'll do this by using both brakes at the same time.

You'll then be told to move off, and you'll swiftly move down through the gears and ride off (again, without stopping).

This is not an emergency braking exercise. You get a couple of seconds to reduce your speed.

You'll get back to the test centre and the tester will tell you to park in an available space. You'll drive forward into the space to make life easier. Tester will tell you he'll see you inside the centre. You'll go in, give back the radio/walkie talkie (with a €100 note and a wink*) and he'll tell you whether you've passed or failed.

(*meant as a joke, obviously)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

excellent post, bookmarked for my young lad who's waiting on his test atmo.

One thing bugs me is the VLC and the Kw stating as 5555 - that's just pure laziness on the part of VRO/VRT/Whomever. The amount of hassle I had to get my book corrected is just nuts. (see a post on it here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118595491/#Comment_118595491 )

Now, my young lad's bike (a CB500F) actually has 35Kw stamped on the frame, so I assume that suffices ? - that and the fact that model is on the RSA list as being a 35Kw bike anyway, and doesn't exist as anything else.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sent off cert recently it didn't take too long to get back. Spoke to them and they gave me the below address.

Just a letter from a Honda dealer with cert and it's freepost, I did add the word free post to where the stamp should be and made sure there was a return address as the sorting machine can mess up apparently without them.

Freepost,

National VRT Service,

Amendment office,

Revenue Commissioners,

Anne Street,

Wexford,

Y35 E29K.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Passed mine last year. Pre-test was a huge help. Did one a week before and another the day before.

The first was a big help to learn the route. I could then drive the route for the week at my leisure. Also pointing out tricky sections, most common u-turn location etc.

The day before was a real confidence boost.

I actually found the obstacle avoidance the trickiest. He didn't park too far ahead of me so I had to get up to speed quicker than I normally would have when learning, and at the same time mirrors, indicate, lifesaver, manoeuvre past his car. A lot to remember in your first few months on the road.

The first few times I practised it I would just keep speeding up and fly past over the limit. I would have taken this bit of the test for granted if it wasn't for the pre-test.

Is there any reason why you bothered? I assume that, outside of the RSA Practical Test, you never need it? (or if you do, you have the letter from Honda, anyway?).

I'd be tempted to get my logbook rectified but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Do you just send them a cover letter explaining what you want to change, along with the logbook and the letter from the dealer?

Some people have had their tests cancelled over it, so tbh, I'd get it corrected, if only for the next owner.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

out of curiousity, what dealer did this, and was it f.o.c. ?

M50 Honda wanted €175 for a CoC from me.

Ode To The Motorist

Wasn't a CoC for me, just company headed letter saying we're a honda dealer and the bike has Vin blah and reg blah and power and weight blah.

No real cover letter, the dealers letter was straight to the point and just the details, and I assume they put 2+2 together.

It's still not 100% but power is right at least, and while I don't need it it's better to have it right. My brother said he might start so partially did it for that and if I sold it I'd not want someone getting stuck for test as bike would suit someone starting.

It was free but I was collecting something I ordered off them so money was changing hands anyway.

Got the letter before I called the VRT office.

The lad in the VRT office was very agreeable on the phone and I could hear the eye roll when he read off the bike details after I gave the reg and he mentioned the laziness from whoever did it.

When I was talking to him he said to send logbook in and only then did I mention the letter so I'm not sure they're that picky and might have taken a letter from me with the correct details. If it's obviously a wrong power and you're not telling them it's power restricted or something but it's the power that's listed anywhere they'd be able to check I think they might just accept a letter from you.

Worst that happens they send logbook back unchanged.

I got mine off Ronan Pentony Motorbikes (rpm) in Drogheda. He charged a tenner. Maybe give him a shout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

I got a cert of conformity from Danfay (Yamaha) by just emailing them with the VIN etc (info@danfay.ie). That was the easy part - I sent it to Shannon with the VRC and a cover letter explaining the categories that need to be corrected. They sent it back with a preset letter saying to contact Revenue which I did (01-7383619) and was advised to send everything via MyEnquiries. Took 3 weeks to get a reply saying they had changed the CO2 figure and informed the Dept of Transport to do the rest 🙄 . Got a new cert in the post yesterday - they only changed 3 of the 6 incorrect categories but at least they did change the power output and the mass (but not the power to weight ratio...) so I hope that's enough for a test to go ahead 😏

TLDR - Do the freepost method Varik posted as following their instruction gets you a half assed response.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Guys I have graduated from the learners permit today so while its fresh I'll add a few points.

Parked cars - leave a doors width minimum as I got faults for coming too close to them even though I knew you had to give room/ and did.

Life savers - if you do them early, make sure to also do them when just before turning also.

Got a sign wrong, H sign with 100m on it. Never knew it was Hospital sign so I just said I didn't know.

Got few minor faults for observation and throttle control when doing the U-turn and slow speed control.

Lastly a speed limit fault - no sure if I was too fast or too slow.

Tallaght route

Post edited by shuyin1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Tallaght Route as far as I recall.

Post edited by shuyin1 on

On the speed faut, it'd be too fast. You get a progress fault for too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DaveyKeane

Hi all,

I wish I’d seen this post earlier, had my test canceled today in Galway over the power output not printed on the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

City Spares in Ballyfermot will do a cert for you FOC... If you can get to Dublin

out of curiousity : what bike - is it marked on the bike itself ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

I did my test and this came up, instructor had to look it up as it was not on the logobook either, V5 Import from the UK. Could the instructor not of done that?

they're not going to go rooting for info : if it's not at their fingertips, they generally just cancel.

Post edited by galwaytt on

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Maybe not, and in particular not in the unlucky riders case above, but, my particular tester did on this occasion, guess it just depends.

Advertisement