Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilforce west for beginners....

Options
  • 14-04-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I've done a few searches on this site re gael force west. Everone seems to have done the race before and are competing or at least looking to get a good time. I on the other hand am simply looking to finish the race. I am'nt very pushed about time. At the moment im not exactly "fit" (could prob run about 5km at the moment) im hoping 4 months of training can change this.

Anyway, can anyone give me any hints? How hard is it if im not aiming to lead from the front, or middle for that matter! What category should I enter for, walker or jogger? And one more thing, hiking up croagh patrick, will i die?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Hi,

Am another Gaelforce virgin full of questions! Would really appreciate any pointers from previous Gaelforcees.

Wondering about footwear... will regular runners do for the entire course, or should I wear something else for Croagh Patrick? Do I use SPD's for the cycling or am I better off with regular pedals and footstraps? Road bike or hybrid? Will I die half-way up the Reek?

Cheers,
    Ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭uturnin6weeks

You must be from the west if you know it as the 'Reek'. I would love to do this challenge. I was watching it last year on TV and I thought it looked great. I myself wouldn't be in tip-top shape but nothing that a good diet and sport wouldn't cure!
    Ah the Reek isn't that bad i'v climbed it myself 8 or 9 times, i'd get into practice if I were you. I am thinking of doing the route a few times to see would I be able to participate.

Anyways like you guys i'd like to hear more :)

Nice one,

E

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Havent done this, but did research it (before signing up to something else instead) the website itself has good advice on type of bike, footwear, and also what to eat and drink and where/how transition goes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as you guys, never done it and want to do it as an "achievement" really as people I have said it to seem to think I am mental!!!!

Does anyone know what the kayaking is like? I can't swim so I wonder does that put me in bother then?

I climbed the reek on Sunday last, up and down in 1.35 but would want to take another 20 mins off that to make it respectable (or am I mad???)
    Found it hard enough at the peak, coming down was busy though so made it akward.

My biggest problem is training, I play soccer so am caught up with it training twice a week and playing once, also do circuit training, I can't say any of them would help me to much towards the GFW.

What is the difference between the categories? I think I will try jogger as I have some shin splint issues that might need me to jog more than run some of it.

Did you guys register yet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

Morning Guys,
    I have signed up for this race as well - looking forward to it.
    Like most I wouldn't consider myself fit at all, bit of indoor football once a week.
    For the past 3-4 weeks I have been going to the gym trying to do a bit extra and will soon start to include some road running in the evening. If you havn't ran on the road before it takes a bit of getting used to - my knees and lower back were in bits after my first attempt.

Have you guys and special training that your going to get into to help you get prepared??

• Advertisement

Morning Guys,
    I have signed up for this race as well - looking forward to it.
    Like most I wouldn't consider myself fit at all, bit of indoor football once a week.
    For the past 3-4 weeks I have been going to the gym trying to do a bit extra and will soon start to include some road running in the evening. If you havn't ran on the road before it takes a bit of getting used to - my knees and lower back were in bits after my first attempt.

Have you guys and special training that your going to get into to help you get prepared??
    Not that Im doing it or anything, but have done another strange endurance event. :) I know theres a hell of a lot involved as well as running, but re the running part, I would recommend outdoor running on some nice steep hills, mix up some cross country if you have a good route to follow. If youre only used to relatively flat courses, youll find any hills on the day will kill ya.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The only thing I have prepared is the death notice ;)

I intend to doing some cycling as I currently doing do any but I have a crappy bike and unfortunately work situation wont allow me to fork out for a hybrid. Its going be hard to get in much more exercise as I am currently training 6 days a week.

The front of my legs are like concrete after the hike, so I will have to do some good leg work with the weights to get these stronger.

did you register as runner or jogger? Any idea of main difference?

Guys,
    Ohh I know there is more to the adventure race then just a light run, I am trying to build up a bit of general fitness for a couple of weeks then start into more target work ie. hill running, a couple of hikes, long distance running etc. I have a plan in my head, god knows how that will turn out.

I signed up as walker as I think this will give me the option to take it handy then burst into life.

Just back from a run, my main problem, well 2 problems. For the first 5-10 mins when I start I fell absolutely fecked, fit for no more but if I take a break for a min I am sorted and can continue running for the next hour. Makes no sense.
    Also i find running on the roads very sore on my lower back but on grass there is no problem.
    Any ideas, could this have anything to do with the type of runners I have or just a case of shut up and get on with it, the more I do on the road th less the pain will be ?

Ohh yeah - do you guys know about the government scheme that allows you to get a bike and all the gear up to a value of €1000 through work. All you have to do is prove to your work that you actually cycle to work and they will fork out the cash. worth looking into if - could get yourself a nice set of wheels for that sort of cash.

Just back from a run, my main problem, well 2 problems. For the first 5-10 mins when I start I fell absolutely fecked, fit for no more but if I take a break for a min I am sorted and can continue running for the next hour. Makes no sense.
    Also i find running on the roads very sore on my lower back but on grass there is no problem.
    Any ideas, could this have anything to do with the type of runners I have or just a case of shut up and get on with it, the more I do on the road th less the pain will be ?
    Id see your first problem as just a warm up thing. Im the same. Take it easy for the first ten minutes, allow yourself to settle in and relax.

I get backache too from running, and Ive had gait analysis to make sure my shoes are right. Maybe have a gander over in the athletics/running forum, where there are lots of long distance runners posting who might help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Yeah I think it could be a warm up thing. Generally I just rock up and start running, usually the same thing when playing football. I guess a brisk walk moving into a slow job coupled with stretches etc would help matters.

As for getting the shoes checked out, is there any place in town \ dundrum that does it. I get shin splints the odd time as well so would be interested in getting checked out.
    Feck I sound like a right crock, bad back, sore legs, pms - wait, scratch that last one :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'm the same dude. This helps. walk for 3 minutes run for, and do this twice and then get full whack into your run. Might help, it worked for me today. I was dying in the first five minutes of my run yet a got to 10km!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Cheers.
    Think I will try that tomorrow to see how things go. It does make sense to be wrecked if you just start flat out - the body is prob thinking, ohh I dont like this, must stop, stop soon.
    Will try a bit of a warm up tomorrow and take it from there.

Feck I sound like a right crock, bad back, sore legs, pms - wait, scratch that last one :-)
    Welcome to running. :)

I usually just start running nice and easy and steady, and wind it up once Ive settled into a rhythm. Its very easy to go too hard at first, force yourself to just plod for a bit. :) My problem is I get too comfy at an easy pace and cant force myself into sprints. :p

Cheers Oryx.
    My only previous experience of running has been with football so its all quick burst of pace, so getting used to this long distance stuff might take a while.
    I do like the idea of plodding along though - I think I could get quite good at that :-)

I personally think the 12k run for me will be the hardest part - energy wise I should be ok but if my lower back plays up I will just have to walk it. although with a bit of training I might body might get used to the hard ground and it wont be a problem.
    I will see how things go - not turning to religion for inspiration just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Hi,
    I'd love to give this a lash too. I only heard of it recently.
    Has anyone any idea how long the "offroad" cycling part is? I bought a road bike for a triathlon this year and dont want to rent or buy a mountain bike for this gaelforce espeicially if its just a short section of the whole thing.

great thread

I think the off-road section is only 2.5-3k - I read that on some other post on here.
    I think alot of people just jump off the bikes and carry \ walk with them for that section unless on mountain bike. Good chance of bursting the tires or doing damage to the rims on the rough surface.

I will be doing it on a good old fashioned BMX with the solid plastic tires, no problems there :-)

I think the off-road section is only 2.5-3k - I read that on some other post on here.
    I think alot of people just jump off the bikes and carry \ walk with them for that section unless on mountain bike. Good chance of bursting the tires or doing damage to the rims on the rough surface.

I will be doing it on a good old fashioned BMX with the solid plastic tires, no problems there :-)

The BMX will feel the pressure! :)

These are the splits from last year if anyone is interested.

http://www.sportident.co.uk/results/2008/GF6_2008_checkpoint_times.html

Advertisement