Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Scheme Commemorative Plaque Thread

Options
  • 13-04-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Here is a thread for road and rail enthusiasts to post photos of the commemorative plaques almost always installed on new infrastructural projects.

I'll start off.

The N24 Clonmel Relief Road:
    Clonmelreliefroadplaque.jpg

The first Cahir Bypass:
    FormerN8CahirBypass.jpg

The N25 Kilmacthomas Realignment:
    Kilmacthomasbypassplaque.jpg

The N25 Killongford Realignment:
    N25Killongfordwindgapplaque.jpg

N8 Watergrasshill Bypass:
    Watergrasshillplaque.jpg

N8 Glanmire Bypass:
    GlanmireBypassplaque.jpg

Click Here for the
    Jack Lynch Tunnel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great idea for a thread ;).

Clonmel one is 10 years old now. It's very obsolete at this stage too. Nothing but stupid roundabouts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll grab a photo of the M4 Leixlip/Kilcock/Maynooth one in the next few days - its located nearly a mile from the scheme on Maynooth main street!

The ones on the two open M6 schemes are in the laybys; one of which is still marked as open but the other of which is marked as Garda only...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I noticed those on the M6 a few weeks ago while passing it. Maybe yourself or KevR or one of the other sixers could pull in some day and photograph them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Which laybys are they in (i.e - between which junctions)?

Not sure when I'll next be passing them but when I am I'll try to remember to bring my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Dargan Bridge, Dundrum. (Luas green line)

attachment.php?attachmentid=77263&d=1239708970

Seamus Brennan can feck off.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    Which laybys are they in (i.e - between which junctions)?

Not sure when I'll next be passing them but when I am I'll try to remember to bring my camera.

Not sure of exact laybys, but they're in the large parking areas/"garda only" bays. They're quite noticable; I saw them as I was going by at 120km/h. Generally on your left hand side as you travel westbound.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

M4 Leixlip/Maynooth/Kilcock bypass. I think the official opening date and the actual date the bypass opened are very, very far off reality - this plaque is down on the main street at the end of the Straffan Road which was widened from the M4 right down to the village during & after the bypass works so it might be from then.

attachment.php?attachmentid=77311&d=1239734696

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

LMAO what does the Kilmacthomas one need a plaque for :D All that was was the widening of a narrow S2 into a slightly less narrow S2 and the digging out of some verges :D

Have to disagree with you there Chris. It's a smashing section of very wide single carriageway, quite long with a fair bit of realignment from what I saw of it yesterday. If all of the N25 was like that between Midleton and Waterford, it would be perfectly adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

yeah, the Kilmacthomas bypass is probably the best engineered S2 road in the country. there are no right turns while going Corkbound. I actually got confused driving there at night when a sign for the Comeraghs pointed left....
    I don't think there are any right turns going the other way either, they are all grade separated.
    It's a completely new alignment most of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

Where is Killongford on the N25?

DSCF1414.jpg

Furet wrote: »
    Not sure of exact laybys, but they're in the large parking areas/"garda only" bays. They're quite noticable; I saw them as I was going by at 120km/h. Generally on your left hand side as you travel westbound.

They're in the laybys between J4 and J5 and between J6 and J7; I passed today but was in a hurry with failing light so couldn't get the photos myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Phase 2 was Red Cow to Tallaght.

3495310064_a29f363227.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Looks like someones shot it.

It does. It also looks like Martin Cullen's grave (which was shot).

I've driven the M6 westbound three times in the past two weeks and never remembered to try and get the plaques; if its dry tomorrow (when I'm doing it AGAIN) I'll try to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Furet wrote: »
    3495310064_a29f363227.jpg

My Dad made that one. Someone vandalised it with something like a hammer, but they're not bothering to repair it.

For those of you interested in these things, there'll be a new plaque going up for the Mitchelstown to Fermoy section of the M8 sometime between now and Friday. That road's opening next week, I think.

mobius42 wrote: »
    My Dad made that one. Someone vandalised it with something like a hammer, but they're not bothering to repair it.

For those of you interested in these things, there'll be a new plaque going up for the Mitchelstown to Fermoy section of the M8 sometime between now and Friday. That road's opening next week, I think.

I am interested! Do you know where it will be located? Also, mobius, do you know where the plaque for the Cashel-Mitchelstown and Cashel to Cullahill schemes are positioned?

• Advertisement

I don't, but I can find out for you. I'll ask my father tonight.

I don't, but I can find out for you. I'll ask my father tonight.

Cheers.

Furet, the council haven't decided where the plaques for Cashel-Culahill and Fermoy-Mitchelstown will be going yet. As for the Cashel-Mitchelstown one, he doesn't think they even put it up. If they did, they didn't tell him where they put it!:(

That figures! I suspect it (the M-F) will go in close to junction 13. Does your Dad do all the plaques for the NRA, mobius?

Actually mobius, can you ask your Dad what opening date he's been asked to engrave on the plaque for Mitchelstown - Fermoy, and who's doing the opening?

He doesn't do all of them, just the ones in the Munster area.

The opening date is the 25th of May and Noel Dempsey will be doing the opening.

He doesn't do all of them, just the ones in the Munster area.

The opening date is the 25th of May and Noel Dempsey will be doing the opening.

Again, thanks. I was 99.9% certain it was 25 May alright; I just wanted to be 100%.

Your Dad did a great job on the Cashel to Cullahill plaque - I just wish they'd install it.

What's the process, mobius? Is it the local authority that commissions the plaques, or the NRA? They presumably contact the stone mason just a few weeks before the opening; or do they basically commission it well in advance and supply the text then?

It's the local authorities that commission them and they contact him about a month in advance. They send him a picture of what they want on it. He usually waits as long as possible before putting it on, as they come back several times with changes. Things like fadas, titles and Irish spellings. It's a bit ridiculous really.

I find it amazing that any of this occurs to anyone in a County Council to be honest. When I called the Cork Co Co's Roads Section there two weeks ago, the receptionist didn't know where the M8 was.

• Advertisement

DSCF1869.jpg

Advertisement