Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to Go

Options
  • 11-04-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

This thread is the places to go. Nothing fixed or arranged but just places boardsies have been to and know a bit about.

There is a google map here, updatable by all.

Comments about access and stuff can be put in the place marker.

Any other ideas can be mentioned below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

good idea

while it is not somewhere people go to take photos,given the number of times it is mentioned and some people ask "where is it?", should Gunns not be shown on the map:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

face palm.

tomorrow: photography supply shops of Ireland.

Anyone any more ideas for googlemaps that I could put together while we're at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I can't figure out how to add co-ordinate markers but here are the
    co-ordinates for some of the wrecks and derelicts around Donegal

55 8 36.776N 8 9 41.837W
    55 6 14.686N 7 41 21.642W
    55 2 22.672N 7 38 32.278W
    55 1 4.515N 8 24 36.895W
    55 4 17.165N 7 28 2.719W
    55 5 11.656N 7 28 37.97W
    55 7 43.305N 7 27 35.93W

And the Pibroch at Letterfrack

53 33 3.791N 9 57 59.275W

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

Great idea
    I've added a few locations around Kildare, will add some more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Brillant I am always looking for somewhere new to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 TheWealth

Always found that just a general direction to go in is better than specific co-ordinates...just head out towards the west and go exploring...some beautiful stuff out there that you're bound to find something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Calina, you might wanna add this to your post, very handy map

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=53.3385609&lon=-6.2601471&z=13&l=0&m=a&v=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Just added Rock of Dunamaise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Can anyone suggest anywhere in or around the dublin area thats interesting to go and photograph? Am getting mind block...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

veryrandom wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest anywhere in or around the dublin area thats interesting to go and photograph? Am getting mind block...

My present list (from boards users previous recommendations) which i'm not getting anywhere near photographing -
    • Dun Laoghaire - (Incl Peoples Park)
    • Botanic Gardens
    • The deer in the Pheonix park
    • Howth (Howth is absolutely fantastic if the sun is shining. Go up to the Hurdy Gurdy museum on Abbey Street and walk to the railings - you have the whole of Howth below you.)
    • Balbriggan
    • UCD
    • Trinity
    • Sandymount - Off the beaten track in Sandymount, and up towards Poolbeg, is always a great spot / Sandymount seafront area is nice too. Also, it is possible to take a walk to the Lighthouse there.
    • Grand Canal Place
    • Anywhere west of Ranelagh Bridge makes good photos
    • Dalkey/Killiney are always worth a look. Dalkey town is nice, and then a nice walk up Killiney hill, to have a nice view out over the bay.
    • Dun Laoghaire and Sandycove are beautiful too, all the way along the coast - the pier in Dun Laoghaire, the 40ft for the people swimming, etc
    • Car park of the digital hub on thomas street. loads of old industrial stuff, and some weird contraptions (permission for going in?)
    • Clontarf - Bull Wall is great.
    • Connolly Station is fab also.
    • Docklands Including the IFSC at night (some nicely lit buildings)
    • City Hall - must lie on back in centre of room(!)

Good luck with your visiting :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Thats great! Loadsa suggestions there, thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Donadea Forest Park is lovely at this time of year. If you don't know where it is, take the M4 and leave at the Maynooth exit, heading towards Clane. There is a crossroads a couple of miles on, turn right here (Donadea is signposted) and follow the road all the way. It is a few miles on and signposted all the way. You pass Ladychapel church (on your right) which is also a beautiful building.

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=5

site also gives other routes to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

This is a great thread! I was just about to post to ask for ideas when i found this!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jacob81

The new bridge in the docks is amazing at night.. There's alot of photos of it BUT in 2 years it will be dirty half the lights will not work anymore and the council will have no money to fix it.. Just like the pedestrian bridge next to it.. over half the lights appear to be broken on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kelznz

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know a good spot to get shots of Dublin city by night? We drove up the Dublin mountains last night but no where seemed to have a clear, unobstructed view..

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Did you try the carpark up the dublin mountains. It's close enough to the hellfire club and the road sign posted for Jonnie Foxes pub. There is a bend in the round just before the carpark with a low wall. This looks out across Dublin and the views on a clear day or night are brilliant.

I'm thinking of heading up there later on today or tonight so will post some shots if I get anything decent. I will also try and get a more accurate location for you.

DK32 wrote: »
    Did you try the carpark up the dublin mountains. It's close enough to the hellfire club and the road sign posted for Jonnie Foxes pub. There is a bend in the round just before the carpark with a low wall. This looks out across Dublin and the views on a clear day or night are brilliant.

I'm thinking of heading up there later on today or tonight so will post some shots if I get anything decent. I will also try and get a more accurate location for you.

Hi - Thanks a million - we did actually head there, I'm pretty sure the exact spot you are talking about..I thought if I crossed the road and took them from the wall it might be okay..there were two large trees there though and with it being on a bend was a bit nervous standing there with the cars whizzing by! Would be great too see some shots if you post them - maybe I'll give it another go. :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I went out Pigeon House Road last week at night, its in Sandymount. It's not elevated and it looks slightly like you're about to be killed at any moment, but the views are great. Granted, my shot is a bit... meh, but here a stitched view I got

357DCDB0B2FB4E6EA03996AC20F0CDF4.jpg

kelznz wrote: »
    Hi - Thanks a million - we did actually head there, I'm pretty sure the exact spot you are talking about..I thought if I crossed the road and took them from the wall it might be okay..there were two large trees there though and with it being on a bend was a bit nervous standing there with the cars whizzing by! Would be great too see some shots if you post them - maybe I'll give it another go. :)

Thanks

I didn't bother heading up there tonight, it was too cloudy out my way so didn't want a wasted trip. I will try and get up there soon though. It's been on my list of places to take snaps for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

The top of three rock has a good unobstructed view, the car barrier gets locked before dark though so you'd have to walk up to the top, probably something for a group rather than by yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shenanigans9021

Was taking a drive to Westport from Galway and there is some great scenery going through the mountains. This one was taken by Doo Lough.

Wow - that's a gorgeous shot, really nice. What kind of camera are you using? Thanks for the info everyone, think I'll give three rock a go when we get a nice clear night :)

Wow - that's a gorgeous shot, really nice. What kind of camera are you using? Thanks for the info everyone, think I'll give three rock a go when we get a nice clear night :)

Thanks, the water was so calm that day it was like glass. Great area around there for shots.

Using a Nikon D80, had it a while but really only getting in to it now. Trying to get off all the pre-set modes and go all manual :)

Thanks, the water was so calm that day it was like glass. Great area around there for shots.

Using a Nikon D80, had it a while but really only getting in to it now. Trying to get off all the pre-set modes and go all manual :)

Nice - I'm using a Canon EOS400 myself and while you might find it hard and a little frustrating at times changing to manual, it's definitely worth the time for the extra control you'll have. Just don't take any non-photographers with you as no doubt they'll get annoyed at you taking the same shot 3 times to get the settings right (from personal experience) :)

....don't take any non-photographers with you.....

:D I had someone with me and thats what happened. They're there wondering why its talking you 10 min and 20 shots before your ready.

If you are planing an outing to three rock, you might consider starting a new thread for it. I'd say a few would be interested, myself included. It would be good to get a group of fellow boardsies to tag along. safety in numbers and you pick up loads of new techniques & tips as well from the more seasoned members :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

veryrandom wrote: »

Glen druid dolmen in brennanstown is beautifull, you need to ask permission as you have to go through someones back garden to visit but theyre really friendly.

Kiltiernan lead mines give some lovely panoramic views of dublin. ive attached 2 images of these places

but my new favourite place is lough dan near roundwood (slightly outside dublin) beautifull lakes, thousands of wild sika deer and nobody around

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

The leadmines is a good spot. Carrickgollogan (as that hill is known) affords great views of the county and Three Rock. also there is a great view of the Sugar Loaf from the carpark around the back of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know a good spot to get shots of Dublin city by night? We drove up the Dublin mountains last night but no where seemed to have a clear, unobstructed view..

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks

Great view from the top of Bray Head. Added marker on the google map

I have some daytime shots here along the top row...
    http://www.markjgriffin.ie/portfolio/photography/landscape/

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 Thomas Gee

Can anyone recommend a location for Bluebells

I recently found Moore abbey near monastrevin but they have thinned out a lot of trees and left the branches behind leaving a very unsightly view.

Advertisement