Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on software development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Is there a set list of companies to pick from or can you choose yourself?

If you can get a company to take you on in a role that's pertinent to the course then that's just fine, as far as I can gather.
    Dboy85 wrote: »
    Can you head over seas if you wish

Some of the placements the college is trying to arrange are in the US, another one is in Switzerland I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Schism wrote: »
    If you can get a company to take you on in a role that's pertinent to the course then that's just fine, as far as I can gather.

Just to clarify, they love when you do this off your own initiative

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just to clarify, they love when you do this off your own initiative

I was thinkin of applyin to one of the big boys in the states and makin it a workin holiday. Plus Bioware or the like wouldnt look bad on the C.V.

I know its early days to be thinkin of it but if I got the nod from the college that it would count towards placement...i'd definatly go.

Where did ye do your placements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I think having a software development or computer science on your cv looks better than game development.

RealistSpy wrote: »
    I think having a software development or computer science on your cv looks better than game development.

Its all subjective really. It depends on what position your applying for. I'd certainly hope i'll have an edge going for a games programming position.

• Advertisement

Games Development Seems so focused on purely games programming although I won't argue about how smarter you guys are. ;)

On the other side Software Development opens the door for a Systems Analyst and a Programmer.

...your just jealous arent you? its ok studying business isnt that bad;)

awww you have so much to learn :D

They don't give a damn what your degree says, they care about your portfolio. Remember this ;)

RedXIV wrote: »
    awww you have so much to learn :D

They don't give a damn what your degree says, they care about your portfolio. Remember this ;)

Im workin on the portfolio already but no harm havin a 2.1 or higher in games development now is there...if im lucky!

I wanna do some work experience this summer. Unpaid if necessary. Anyone got any ideas of places to apply to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Send me your email address and ill email you a list I used in third year which I got from Anita Kelly. After that if you want to go to the states look up craigslist.org for the city and you should be able to find unpaid and paid internships.

I appreciate the help but I'm wondering would companies take on a lowly 1st/2nd year for work experience?

No!

No!

Haha alright! Is it from personal experience or opinion? It would be unpaid after all remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yeah they would, I got a summer internship after 1st year!

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Yeah they would, I got a summer internship after 1st year!

Deadly! Everyone else seems to think people wouldnt bother takin on 1st years. Cant wait to get an inside look at the industry and thanks for your help lisa.

Try Havok in Dublin very nice place for intern you will only be shadowing someone though.

Try Havok in Dublin very nice place for intern you will only be shadowing someone though.

Its on my hit list dont worry! Thats all im expecting thb anythin at all looks better than a gap on a C.V. Would prefer to be dug into code instead of following someone round but im well aware what to expect.

Ive just realised this thread is like a blog of my education lol
    Thanks all for helping so far!

Sorry for Stealing this thread but no point starting a new one.

Can anyone here doing Java Programming give me a hand with java windows programming?
    I am confused with the concept. (javax.swing and .awt) Grrrrrh! I just need to get the basics.

Sorry for Stealing this thread but no point starting a new one.

Can anyone here doing Java Programming give me a hand with java windows programming?
    I am confused with the concept. (javax.swing and .awt) Grrrrrh! I just need to get the basics.

This looks relavent

• Advertisement

I will take a look at that when I get home thanks.

Does anyone disagree with changing from games to software dev will raise my chances of employment in ireland? I understand the games is more intense and I love that but its about career prospects at the end of the day. Will I have more prospects with a software qualification? Honest opinions from games graduates is what I seek...

All honesty? with the way the industry is at the moment, it's all about connections. don't underestimate how important contacts are when you're going to be looking for a job. I finished the games course and now am working for a software testing company that are just starting to get interested in games. It's not what i'd LIKE to be doing but I needed a job. I will say however that when I went for the interview/training for the job, I was with 11 other people, ten of which had IT degrees and none of them had the coding ability I did. And I'm not a great coder. The name of the degree may not be exactly what employers are looking for but from my experience of graduates of other IT courses, the games course will turn you into a proper coder. I know i'm biased but thats what i've seen. You may be more rounded and be able to focus on project management or software dev cycles if you do a different course but I still reckon you're better off doing games.

it depends what you want to end up doing. If you want to code for a living, stick with games, if you want to do general IT, then move

Sound advice there Red! I took the course knowing i'd have better coding ability at the end BUT...im getting nervous as i've a 2 year old and another on the way so te pressure is on big time to get going post grad :rolleyes:

know how you feel there, i've a 3 week old and when I heard she was coming I was panicking to get a job. On the bright side, the place I'm working in is hugely impressed by the quality of games grads so if you get stuck for work when you're finished let me know, i'll get you in with my crowd ;)

Be carefull I might take you up on that offer :p Congratulations btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

Hi guys, I was just looking at the course on the I.T's site Here and am going in to 3rd year. It says
    Year 3: Mandatory Subjects
    Advanced Programming
    Operating Systems
    Software Engineering
    Work Placement/Project
    Mathematics and Logic

plus two Elective
    Data Structures & Algorithms
    Digital Communications
    Networks
    Wide Area Networking

Do we get to individually pick our elective subjects or is it decided by the class as a whole or are the electives even offered anymore? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elite_Etnisa

Hey guys,
    Just browsing the thread ,
    Im in 5 th yr right now and after picking my subjects im only wondering if not having physics would exclude me from doing games development in CIT because as far as i know its needed i dont know to what lvl tho.

Im doing hons maths and only biology as a science subjects and only thinking of software / game development i love programming but not sure of which yet. I also love whole database study .

Any special subjects needed ? . Would having hons maths in the leaving help me much in the college or would it be better to drop to ordinary and aim for better points as i do all honours any way.

Sorry for writing a letter :)

Hey guys,
    Just browsing the thread ,
    Im in 5 th yr right now and after picking my subjects im only wondering if not having physics would exclude me from doing games development in CIT because as far as i know its needed i dont know to what lvl tho.

Im doing hons maths and only biology as a science subjects and only thinking of software / game development i love programming but not sure of which yet. I also love whole database study .

Any special subjects needed ? . Would having hons maths in the leaving help me much in the college or would it be better to drop to ordinary and aim for better points as i do all honours any way.

Sorry for writing a letter :)

Physics at any level would be an advantage but since you have honors maths you are well set. As for programming and database, it would be best you go for software development course which you don't need physics for. Its really all about logical thinking.

• Advertisement

As above, Honours maths is better to have than pass maths with Physics. Physics would be a slight advantage but I'd still recommend just concentrating on Honours maths, it'll help more in the long run.

As to Dave D's question, I honestly don't know but I doubt you'll be lost for long. they'll get started on that stuff very soon

Advertisement