Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cringe more when someone says they're an Atheist

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kipperhell wrote: »
    A good way to look at it is in the Wizard of Oz never gave the Tin Man a heart or the Lion courage they always had it.
    You know what - I really like that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

You started fundamentally saying you care what people think as you don't like people to think of themselves as atheist. ;)It sounds like you have an ingrained belief and find it hard to let go because it is hard to go from believing you have a future after death to not having one. Effectively you are going to loose something you never had but thought you did.

A good way to look at it is in the Wizard of Oz never gave the Tin Man a heart or the Lion courage they always had it.

It really doesn't matter which is right or wrong just to move from one to the other is a hard transition.

Damn. That has me thinking! Great bit of insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I don't think i've ever really thought that, my family isn't that religious at all so its not that
    You started fundamentally saying you care what people think as you don't like people to think of themselves as atheist. ;)It sounds like you have an ingrained belief and find it hard to let go because it is hard to go from believing you have a future after death to not having one. Effectively you are going to loose something you never had but thought you did.

It really doesn't matter which is right or wrong just to move from one to the other is a hard transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Dades wrote: »
    You know what - I really like that. :)

The strange thing is it is from a song by America called Tin Man with soft harmonies. The same idea of the story is explored in Zardoz but a bit freaky with lots of talk about immortality.

@Fighting Irish
    It doesn't matter whether it is the after life you can't let go of but you know what you find hard to let go of. It could be a simple as why are we here?

Advertisement