Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

zuroph wrote: »
    If Im in the house when the flyer arrives, yes, I would prefer a courtesy knock, at least from a canvasser of theirs.

ok im actually out leafleting at the moment for a candidate in the south side ward. this is the way its run. we drop a leaflet with contact info just so if you do have a problem you can ring the candidate/still cllr. and if you dont get through just leave a message. if they are any good and it would be biased to say my candidate is but they will ring you back or go to your house and have a chat. after we have leaflets out its usually around the time to put up posters and then get out and knock at doors. in the next couple of weeks you will have ppl knocking. alot of the time its done in the evening between 6 and half 8 because ppl are at work before 6 and ppl are putting kids to bed at 9ish. this is just the common thing so everyone goes by these "gentleman rules/understanding".

its unrealistic that every candidate/clly will; meet every person. some people will keep them talking for a half hour or so and usually just to rant about the state of the country and why their dole money is going to be cut(which i have got alot of from what i would call scum). the best thing to do is give your local candidate a ring and if you have a problem they will either try their best to fix it or pass it on to someone who can. you need to know that alot of their hands are tied with red tape. if you dont have a problem you need to get sorted you can give them a ring and just ask them what their policies are(leave a message and if they are any good they will ring back). as i said they will be happy to tell you what they want to accomplish. alot of them do want to help. even if there is sceptisism.

just anyone who hasnt had a knock or doesnt get a knock. just remember if you get someone knocking at your door you might vote for them and never be able to get in touch with them or hear from them again. but you might get some1 who doensnt get to you door that could do a great job, help to fix some problems and always be available.its about their agendas not there canvassing power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Another candidate lost my vote yesterday.

OPEN LETTER TO BRIDGET TEEFY

Dear Bridget,

As a voter in your area, I have been considering now for a few weeks, as I'm sure others are, which way my votes will go. At first, I was put off by your flyer promoting only green initiatives, however a few weeks later I returned from work and there was a flyer with "Bridget called" written on it. I prefer the personal touch, and you were now on the radar for possible votes.
    I drive for work, about 60thousand KM a year. Every other day I see accidents on our roads. Some are mild, and some are very serious. I have had several near misses myself, thanks to dangerous driving by others, and I have pretty much accepted that I am going to be in an accident at some stage in my life, due to the amount of hours I spend on the road every week.
    Yesterday, I rounded a corner by Monaleen stores. I had right of way at the junction, but my path was blocked by a car pulling out from the secondary road. The car had overshot the stop sign at the junction, and was stopped half way across the road looking to see if it could continue. I had to come to a full stop. The driver waved her thanks, and continued across the road, while putting her mobile phone back up to her ear. I then noticed the logo on the side of the car. The driver was you Bridget.
    Let me refer you to the Limerick County Council website.
    http://www.lcc.ie/Roads/Road_Safety/SafetyAdvice/Mobile_Phones.htm
    I'm afraid I will not be voting for someone who puts the lives of others at risk on the road.
    Many thanks,
    zuroph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

ninty9er wrote: »
    I didn't say you did

Obviously not if you think national and local politics are the same. It's quite possible for national party politics to be different to the view of the local candidate of the same party.

Pointing fingers about crap posted.

Since you asked:

"ninety9er" and "you're loyalty"

Comprehension and grammar seem to be evading you. That's beside the point, but since you won't address the issues, I won't bother anymore either.

I'll get my coat!

Well for a start he's the one who's spelling ninety the right way and if you are going to insult him because of one minor mistake than that's a bit childish....surely you've spelled something wrong before in your life...ninty perhaps? :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

is there any candidate who has tackling anti-social behaviour particularly high on their agenda?
    that's who i would vote for.
    and definitely not someone who keeps adding speed-bumps to the roads... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

You might like to take a few English lessons too.[/QUOTE]
    why should he, why should anyone, just because they do not agree with your (sorry f.failing the people for far 2 long) point of view, mabey it is me but you sound and act like the P.R. people from countrys which were communist at one time, the days of indoctorination from former times

• Advertisement

Brilliant Zuroph, just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

electron wrote: »
    is there any candidate who has tackling anti-social behaviour particularly high on their agenda?
    that's who i would vote for.
    and definitely not someone who keeps adding speed-bumps to the roads... :mad:

Well dont vote for Jim Long then as hes responsible for a fair few speed bumps and traffic calming where they were never requested and he should know better as hes an ex taxi driver so I beleive..

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Is it too late to start a POLL : "Who are you voting for and what would you like to see done in your area?"

I'm in Limerick City North.... I would like to see the proposed Caherdavin Public Park going ahead. Also planning granted for the development of Coonagh Cross Shopping Centre before it closes down altogether.
    (I thought that as part of the Planning conditions that a cinema + gym were public amenties that were supposed to be provided, but now it seems they're not allowed provide them??)

Cllr Cormac Hurley - will be getting my number 1 as he's served the Caherdavin/Clonmacken/Coonagh area well in the past while on the Limerick County Council (Bruff electoral area). Personally helped me out once on an issue - I found him to be very approachable and hardworking.
    Cllr Kevin Kiely - will prob give him a 2nd preference vote as he's the only candidate who mentioned "cinema for Coonagh Cross" on his leaflets.
    Cllr Kathleen Leddin - will be giving her a high preference vote also.
    Tina O’Gorman - 1 of her canvessers called to our door and spoke with us.
    Cllr Michael Hourigan - called to our door but I have not heard of him doing too much in the past, sorry I could be wrong.
    Matt Larkin - didn't call to our door but I like the mandate on his flyer, and he took Willie on too so for that alone I'll give him a high preference vote :) lol
    We did not get a flyer from either FF candidate, nor the others below either.

On Monday (Bank hol) James Nix and his canvessers called to a few houses on our street but didn't bother to with us, even when it was obvious that we were at home, just threw a flyer in our "letter flap". Kevin Kiely did the same another evening. On Monday Maurice Quinlivan dropped his leaflet in our porch but didn't bother to meet with us either.
    Suppose it is as you have said above- they only speak to every 2nd or 3rd house to cover as many estates as quick as possible.

LIMERICK CITY NORTH's 17 candidates:
    John Cronin,Fianna Fáil,Thomondgate
    Joe Crowley,Fianna Fáil,North Circular Road
    Tommy Daly,Non-Party,Moyross
    Michael Hourigan,Fine Gael,North Circular Road
    Cormac Hurley,Fine Gael,Caherdavin
    Kevin Kiely,Fine Gael,Belfield Gardens
    Matt Larkin,Non-Party,Farranshone
    Kathleen Leddin,Non-Party,North Circular Road
    Patrick McCarthy,Non-Party,Moyross
    James Nix,Green Party,O’Callaghan Strand
    Conor O’Donoghue,The Christian Solidarity Party,Woodview
    Tina O’Gorman,Non-Party,Moyross
    Maurice Quinlivan,Sinn Féin,Stenson Close
    Denis Riordan,Non-Party,Clonconane
    John Ryan,Labour Party,North Circular Road
    Mick Ryan,?,Ballynanty
    Tom Shortt,Labour Party,Thomondgate,

As for Europe, I'm still a bit undecided.
    Dr Alexander Stafford claims to have done a lot to get services in Regional Hospital so on that basis alone I might plump for him, plus he might do more for Limerick region than others, being a Limerick man.
    Senator Alan Kelly's rap song is a bit off putting :) He was in Nancy's last weekend showing he is a man of the people I guess.
    Also in Nancy's were 2 blondes with "Dr Alexander Stafford" t-shirts on. Good vote grabbing tactic but they should have smiled a little bit more :)

Some candidates in both elections have fek all of any substance on their posters/leaflets. Typical slogan around the country is "Vote for your local man". - f.f.s. how can they expect us to vote for them if we dont know what they stand for!!!

p.s. Why are all the sexy younger lookin candidates in Leinster/Dublin while we got the susan Boyle and George Bush lookalikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

rok wrote: »
    p.s. Why are all the sexy younger lookin candidates in Leinster/Dublin while we got the susan Boyle and George Bush lookalikes!

Ah come off it, whatever you think of Toireasa Ferris' policies, you can't argue with that pair of legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Anybody get a automated phone message this morning from Richard Crehan thought it was illegal to canvas on poll day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

i think it's only illegal to canvas within a certain distance of the polling centre

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

rok wrote: »
    Is it too late to start a POLL : "Who are you voting for and what would you like to see done in your area?"

I'm in Limerick City North.... I would like to see the proposed Caherdavin Public Park going ahead. Also planning granted for the development of Coonagh Cross Shopping Centre before it closes down altogether.
    (I thought that as part of the Planning conditions that a cinema + gym were public amenties that were supposed to be provided, but now it seems they're not allowed provide them??)

Cllr Cormac Hurley - will be getting my number 1 as he's served the Caherdavin/Clonmacken/Coonagh area well in the past while on the Limerick County Council (Bruff electoral area). Personally helped me out once on an issue - I found him to be very approachable and hardworking.
    Cllr Kevin Kiely - will prob give him a 2nd preference vote as he's the only candidate who mentioned "cinema for Coonagh Cross" on his leaflets.
    Cllr Kathleen Leddin - will be giving her a high preference vote also.
    Tina O’Gorman - 1 of her canvessers called to our door and spoke with us.
    Cllr Michael Hourigan - called to our door but I have not heard of him doing too much in the past, sorry I could be wrong.
    Matt Larkin - didn't call to our door but I like the mandate on his flyer, and he took Willie on too so for that alone I'll give him a high preference vote :) lol
    We did not get a flyer from either FF candidate, nor the others below either.

On Monday (Bank hol) James Nix and his canvessers called to a few houses on our street but didn't bother to with us, even when it was obvious that we were at home, just threw a flyer in our "letter flap". Kevin Kiely did the same another evening. On Monday Maurice Quinlivan dropped his leaflet in our porch but didn't bother to meet with us either.
    Suppose it is as you have said above- they only speak to every 2nd or 3rd house to cover as many estates as quick as possible.

LIMERICK CITY NORTH's 17 candidates:
    John Cronin,Fianna Fáil,Thomondgate
    Joe Crowley,Fianna Fáil,North Circular Road
    Tommy Daly,Non-Party,Moyross
    Michael Hourigan,Fine Gael,North Circular Road
    Cormac Hurley,Fine Gael,Caherdavin
    Kevin Kiely,Fine Gael,Belfield Gardens
    Matt Larkin,Non-Party,Farranshone
    Kathleen Leddin,Non-Party,North Circular Road
    Patrick McCarthy,Non-Party,Moyross
    James Nix,Green Party,O’Callaghan Strand
    Conor O’Donoghue,The Christian Solidarity Party,Woodview
    Tina O’Gorman,Non-Party,Moyross
    Maurice Quinlivan,Sinn Féin,Stenson Close
    Denis Riordan,Non-Party,Clonconane
    John Ryan,Labour Party,North Circular Road
    Mick Ryan,?,Ballynanty
    Tom Shortt,Labour Party,Thomondgate,

As for Europe, I'm still a bit undecided.
    Dr Alexander Stafford claims to have done a lot to get services in Regional Hospital so on that basis alone I might plump for him, plus he might do more for Limerick region than others, being a Limerick man.
    Senator Alan Kelly's rap song is a bit off putting :) He was in Nancy's last weekend showing he is a man of the people I guess.
    Also in Nancy's were 2 blondes with "Dr Alexander Stafford" t-shirts on. Good vote grabbing tactic but they should have smiled a little bit more :)

Some candidates in both elections have fek all of any substance on their posters/leaflets. Typical slogan around the country is "Vote for your local man". - f.f.s. how can they expect us to vote for them if we dont know what they stand for!!!

There's a list of all the candidates, and information about them, on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055583096

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I see there is canvassing going on not too far from the Lady Of Lourdes primary school.

Not totally sure who the candidate is, but the jeep with the speakers and poster on the side is driving by Punches cross heading towards the Crescent Shopping centre. With the school only a few hundred yards away I would have thought that saying vote for me through a speaker system was not allowed.

ahem, i think i made a mess of it :D did i have to put a number next to each and every candidate - or only the ones i liked?

electron - I would have thought that you only have to give a vote preference only to the ones you liked, could be wrong tho.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but how exactly does the Vote transfer system work...
    who decides what % of votes are transferred to another candidate?
    and is there any point in giving someone a "10th" preference on the ballot sheet?

basically, they count how many voted, then use an equation to figure out how many votes would be needed to get elected. when someone reaches that number, the rest of their number ones now go to whoever the person listed as number 2. it continues like that until all the seats are filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kess73 wrote: »
    I see there is canvassing going on not too far from the Lady Of Lourdes primary school.

Not totally sure who the candidate is, but the jeep with the speakers and poster on the side is driving by Punches cross heading towards the Crescent Shopping centre. With the school only a few hundred yards away I would have thought that saying vote for me through a speaker system was not allowed.

They're canvassing for Sean O'Neill: Republican Sinn Fein... Really annoying tactic I must say. He obviously isn't getting my vote!!

They're canvassing for Sean O'Neill: Republican Sinn Fein... Really annoying tactic I must say. He obviously isn't getting my vote!!

Yeah I passed that way again this evening and they were there again blasting out to give the SF candidate the number one vote, and they drove past the school where the voting was taking place.

• Advertisement

Yeah I passed that way again this evening and they were there again blasting out to give the SF candidate the number one vote, and they drove past the school where the voting was taking place.

RSF Not SF huge difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Some early indications are that John Cronin is heading for retirement and Maurice Quinlivan is likely to take his seat. Delighted!

Tom Shortt polling stronger than John Ryan and might have a chance with Ryans transfers.

Kevin Kiely also going strong. Oh well there has to be a downside I guess. :rolleyes:

sioda wrote: »
    RSF Not SF huge difference

In terms of the guy not getting my vote, there is no difference. The fact that they practise abstentionism from any deliberative assembly, means voting for them is pretty useless anyway.

In terms of the guy not getting my vote, there is no difference. The fact that they practise abstentionism from any deliberative assembly, means voting for them is pretty useless anyway.

Very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

RonMexico wrote: »
    Some early indications are that John Cronin is heading for retirement and Maurice Quinlivan is likely to take his seat. Delighted!

Poor Anne McCabe, her neighbours voting for a man who supports the murderers of her husband. Sad day for Limerick.

Saw 3 lads out already removing Michael Hourigans posters on the Ennis Road early this morning, fair play. Hopefully rest of candidates posters will be taken down soon too.

Poor Anne McCabe, her neighbours voting for a man who supports the murderers of her husband. Sad day for Limerick.

And that is why Sinn Fein will never get my vote.

Advertisement