Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious preaching and rap on grafton street.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

There is sort of two issues here, 1) that these guys were offensive, manipulative and annoying and 2) they have a right to be offensive, manipulative and annoying.

I think they have a right to stand on Grafton Street spouting their nonsense but equally I have the right to stand beside them telling people why it is nonsense.

I've never got annoyed at religious people doing their thing so long as they don't stop others from doing their thing. I think anyone who is surprised that they do this type of stuff doesn't really understand religion very well.

The thing that annoys me is when atheists and humanists such as Dawkins are told to shut up and go away (why do you care so much about religion Dawkins!!) when they try and counter this stuff.

Dawkins writes books because people like this exist.

I would much rather have him on a book tour talking about how silly religion is than having nutty evangelists banned from evangelism. You fight words with words, ideas with ideas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wicknight wrote: »
    I think they have a right to stand on Grafton Street spouting their nonsense but equally I have the right to stand beside them telling people why it is nonsense.
    Yes, the right is there, even if it's rarely respected and even more rarely taken up.

Religion makes use of this ideological asymmetry quite effectively -- when was the last time that anybody saw Jehovah's Non-Witnesses doing the door to door, denying the existence of the deity-du-jour?

A couple of weeks back, I saw an African guy on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh spouting a standard line in religious nonsense. Three boys, perhaps nine or ten years old, were heading up the hill and the preacher spotted them, made a beeline and tried hard to ingratiate himself with them -- lots of back-slapping, slightly-too-loud laughter, eyebrow-wiggling, etc etc. Whatever about adults being able to protect themselves against religion and the attentions of over-enthusiastic religious guys in their mid-30's, young kids cannot, and the preacher certainly crossed a line in doing what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Dades wrote: »
    I find any type of rap offensive - but Christian rap must be the Vogon poetry of the music world.

This made me really glad I read the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy saga. I feel privileged.

Rap can be good if it isn't about bitches, gangs, bling or money. See Jurassic 5, Pharcyde, and Lupe Fiasco.

Advertisement