Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking practice: List of Ball Alleys / Hurling walls / Suitable Alternatives

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Can I ask what type of ball you use in a ball alley? Can't imagine getting great bounce of a sliothar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Can I ask what type of ball you use in a ball alley? Can't imagine getting great bounce of a sliothar.
    look up hurling alley ball, or wall ball online
    they are easy enough to get hold of

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

look up hurling alley ball, or wall ball online
    they are easy enough to get hold of

http://www.thegaastore.com/hurling-wall-ball-hurling-ball-sliotar-p/ftb017.htm

Got three of these, serious rebound off them, keeps ya moving!

New hurling wall built in Tooreen Hurling Club, County Mayo (pic to follow)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Excellent wall in Eire Og Hurling Club's ground in Caragh, Co.Kildare, right opposite Mondello Park racing track.
    Can you buy them bouncy sliothars in any sports shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Oldhandballer

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    O Tooles in Dublin have a wide hurling wall.Its not very big though.Its flood lighted too.
    I reply to your message re Otooles Hurling /Handball wall,in fact it is 80 feet long by 20 ft high .on one side it has all weather grass and on the other side it has 3 one wall handball courts.
    It is also flood lit and is probably one of the best thought out Hurling /Handball in the country.
    It may surprise you to find out that New York is full of one wall handball courts
    witch is much the same as a hurling wall .In fact if you want to see them and one wall handball played ,just type one wall handball into your search and it will come up for you.
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Youghal Arra about 7km from Nenagh have one
    It's in great shape
    Some people use it for training, I've never heard of a club in the area
    A lot of locals don't even know it's there

I suppose most rural villages had a handball alley at one stage, many no longer exist
    Now there is a book waiting to be written if somebody wants a project!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

Youghal Arra about 7km from Nenagh have one
    It's in great shape
    Some people use it for training, I've never heard of a club in the area
    A lot of locals don't even know it's there

I suppose most rural villages had a handball alley at one stage, many no longer exist
    Now there is a book waiting to be written if somebody wants a project!

Not sure if they intend on writing a book but there is a blog.

http://irishhandballalley.blogspot.com/search/label/Co.%20Wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

hughes2558 wrote: »
    Not sure if they intend on writing a book but there is a blog.

http://irishhandballalley.blogspot.com/search/label/Co.%20Wexford

old handball alleys should be listed heritage buildings
    to stop them being knocked

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

One at Silverstrand in Galway (across from the church in Barna, but full of Rubbish, shame)

The alley in Brosna, Co Kerry (Just beyond Abbeyfeale) was restored recently, top class, non slip surface etc etc!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

IIMII wrote: »
    In light of the beginning hurling thread, I thought it might be useful to start a thread on this.

Off the top of my head, I know of Hurling Walls at Kilmacud Crokes (Stillorgan), Craughwell (Galway), Kiltale (Meath) and a half finished one in Faughs (Dublin).

There is a ball alley in Blackrock College (discovered that by complete accident and it's huge), another on the west side of Kilkenny (beside a roundabout whose name I can't think of), and one I remember from years ago on Inis Mór.

Anyone care to add to the list?

Where abouts is the one in Craughwell? Is it usable? I'm on the Oranmore side of town, used to use the one in ClareGalway until they knocked the feckin thing last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Jarlaths secondary school in Tuam have a handball alley.

Handball alley in Claregalway also, on the right hand side going into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

does anyone know if the alley in de la salle college waterford is open to the public? I'm a former pupil also.

Advertisement