Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would you be prepared to pay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 causewayer

delllat wrote: »
    ooooooooook,so now everyone who thinks your service is over priced must be a " pimply faced yoof who 'knows about computers'
    who would backup, rebuild, and wash the car for a sniff of a fifty euro note"

I can assure you i dont have pimples,am far from a teenager if thats what you mean by "yoof"??
    and i own my home and 3 small businesses so i know what a 50euro note looks like and what it takes to earn one

you sir have obviously got a problem resorting to insults when you are here asking us "how much would we be prepared to pay" and then going off on one when you get told your service is overpriced

if you treat your customers the same way as you treat a bit of honest criticism you wont last long in business sonny :rolleyes:

if your so confident your idea is so great go for it ,grow some nutz and get it done!

you obviously arent since youre here wondering how much to charge:rolleyes:

Delllat

You are addressing this to the WRONG person. I started the thread by asking the question. It is not my post that you are answering!!! It is T-Square's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

causewayer wrote: »
    Delllat

You are addressing this to the WRONG person. I started the thread by asking the question. It is not my post that you are answering!!! It is T-Square's.

fair enough,sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

fair enough,sorry

taxi-jun03.jpgFOR DELLLAT

:p

Hammertime wrote: »
    taxi-jun03.jpgFOR DELLLAT

:p

little amuses the innocent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

if your so confident your idea is so great go for it ,grow some nutz and get it done!

you obviously arent since youre here wondering how much to charge:rolleyes:

Have done it.

The world is full of kids who can undercut the professionals,
    offering to do 150s worth of work for a crisp new fifty.

And when they screw up, I charge extra to undo their sterling efforts! :D

And and before I leave you,
    for the above job, I have charged 150+,
    and it was all smiles + referrals.

Shows what you (don't) know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

T-Square wrote: »
    You are missing the point.
    It's the unexpected costs :rolleyes:

Its you whos missing the point, you are saying for example that you are backing up the info and then the backup not working and you are going to charge them for the mistakes you made. You cant charge them for your cock up...or "unexpected costs" as you put it. Thats how a cowboy would operate. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You say you will reinstall the common software like office. I presume people will want all their software back , not just he common ones. If if you could source the disks for all the software it would be a legal minefield.

The computer repair guy will go the same way as the tv repair guy, the vcr repair guy, the once-very-expensive-now-a-commodity guy, do I make a good point or what?

first u state that computer repair guys are going the same way as tv and vcr repair guys
    then u go off on a mad rant about how much they should get paid 160 for tuning a laptop even though u just said yourself that computer repair man will go like vcr repair men

you dont make much of an argument for yourself do ya?

whose side are you on?:rolleyes: do you even know?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭TechieEddy

How do you go about paying tax etc?

The same way you go about paying tax. Why do you ask?

The world is full of kids who can undercut the professionals,
    offering to do 150s worth of work for a crisp new fifty.

Or maybe the world is full of professionals ripping customers off for far too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

IMO €100-€150 is nearing the threshold where it would be feasible to consider replacing an underperforming machine. Book value of equipment would reduce by at least 20% or more pa, so where's the point?

PC repairs as someone has already intimated is a somewhat similar business to TV repair, a dinosaur model but a declining market given the low replacement cost and even lower incidence of faults outside normal/extended warranty periods. Probably an add-on service (to sales and or regular contracted maintenance ) rather than a core business service?

But good luck with it, I often wonder how do guys make money repairing white goods? But fair play to them and they're content to run a business probably servicing a market sector I know nothing about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lots of places offering this service for €50~100. If you've nothing else to do fair enough. Its a bit of extra cash. But it wouldn't cover the cost of doing this as a legit business IMO.

White goods are the same.

TechieEddy wrote: »
    The same way you go about paying tax. Why do you ask?

Just curious Martin,

But don't worry, with your page rank, you won't be ripping anyone off.

Just curious Martin,

Im sure hes not worrying one bit, his pagerank isnt affecting his position on google. Search for "pc repair dublin" in google and he comes up on page one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Axwell wrote: »
    Im sure hes not worrying one bit, his pagerank isnt affecting his position on google. Search for "pc repair dublin" in google and he comes up on page one :rolleyes:

He is coming up 4th for "computer repair in dublin" for me. Not bad given the competition out there!

Just curious Martin,

Wow you can use a pr checker. Thats impressive.

Can you also search for various phrases such as

virus removal dublin

computer doctor dublin

computer doctor in dublin

pc repair dublin

recommend computer repair dublin

Where do you rank for these phrases?

Wouldn't you love to know! ;)

Wouldn't you love to know! ;)

Actually I doubt he does, or does anyone else. But considering his site is number one in most cases obviously that means yours is further down so what does it matter

Axwell wrote: »
    Actually I doubt he does, or does anyone else. But considering his site is number one in most cases obviously that means yours is further down so what does it matter

Exactly :rolleyes:

Quite a lot of posts, but not many answers to my question.

This is one of a few areas that I am looking at in an effort to keep engineers employed, and not add to the growing ranks on the dole line.

The business is legit, and the service professional - it could not be done for €50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

causewayer wrote: »

This is one of a few areas that I am looking at in an effort to keep engineers employed, and not add to the growing ranks on the dole line.

The business is legit, and the service professional - it could not be done for €50.

the problem with that kind of business is the computer components devalue too quick
    Im always seeing currys pc world,tescos ,dunnes etc advertising 600-700 euro laptops for 350
    350 buys you a new Laptop,nicer lcd screen ,bigger hdd,faster processor ,more modern operating system,and a new full warranty for 2 years in a lot of cases

its going to be really hard to compete with that and if i had a slow laptop/pc and compared your service with the new machine i would take the new machine every time

Charging 50 to clean the system might appeal to some but charging 120 or 160 is gonna be tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I get people asking me to fix their computers regularly. But TBH I find that most people know someone who can do it for them for free. Most I ever got for fixing a PC was 150, but even at that it wouldn't have covered the cost of my time. Most places charge between 50 and 100. I don't ask for money, I just do it as time allows or as a favor. This kinda of home user support is pocket money really. I can't see how people make it pay. You'd earn more cleaning windows. Thats the reality.

Your best bet is to use it as leader to get maintenance contracts for small and medium-sized businesses who need cover, and the cost of downtime, is more expensive than a maintenance contract. You'd have to add value by doing networks, smaller servers. Hook up with a developer who can cover support for writing VBA, Databases things like that.

I'd look at another area tbh. People are not going to spend €150 to get their pc's cleaned up.
    It's not going to be worth your time.

1. Most people would know someone who could do it for them
    2. They could get someone like me to do it for half of the cost
    3. They could buy a new pc for twice what you are charging.

It's just not going to work.

M, B, & T

OK, Thanks for the advice.

Points taken.

WE might pilot to a particular target group that we have in mind - just to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I just dont see this as very profitable... although I could be wrong!

You could get lucky with a few people being stupid enough but thats it.

Advertisement