Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humanist Dart Secular Oath Campaign

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

vinchick wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been mentioned before but has anybody seen the ads on the DART?
    Ahem. You mustn't have looked too hard. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055532211

This thread even has a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Oh no! I can't become the president because of my religious beliefs (or lack thereof)? What a cruel, cruel world. I really think that they could have presented a better advertisement than simply saying you cannot become *gulp* a judge or the president. I fully support their intent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Dades wrote: »
    Ahem. You mustn't have looked too hard. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055532211

This thread even has a picture.

Balls I always miss past threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Calibos wrote: »
    Me too about 15 years ago at this stage. When Christians talk about being an oppressed 'majority', I always think of the time I felt the need to swear on a bible just so the Jury wouldn't be biased against the testimony of an Atheist, cause, sure aren't we lacking morals :rolleyes:

Christians talk about being an oppressed 'majority'?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

tricky D wrote: »
    Imo they're using the wrong approach and most will just dismiss it. Judges' oaths - who cares. However if they concentrated on the fact that the pubs have to shut on 2 christian holidays in a supposedly secular country the impact would be much better.

Secular country lol. Have you read our constitution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Zillah wrote: »
    Secular country lol. Have you read our constitution?

+ 1

It's depressing reading for us atheists! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Húrin wrote: »
    Christians talk about being an oppressed 'majority'?

Ya see this is the problem with you guys, you take everything......'Literally' :D

Emphasis Mine 'obviously' Hurin. You guys just think you are oppressed...its just ironic, that a 'majority' can feel oppressed.

Then again I can understand how you can feel like you are a minority. opus Dei would be a minority in the RCC and any evangelical would feel like a minority because sure all those RCC's...aren't 'real christians'. etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

can we merge these threads vinchick can you convince us that its important who are judges are in our daily lives?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Two threads merged.

A second thread was started by vinchick so note some posts might seem out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

+ 1

It's depressing reading for us atheists! :mad:

At least there's the 5th amendment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I wholeheartedly agree with this...
    Jakkass wrote: »
    There was another one about the Resurrection on the bus also:
    image001heg.th.jpg

... the no smoking signs on public transport that is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

can we merge these threads vinchick can you convince us that its important who are judges are in our daily lives?

Who are judges are is extremely important. Apart from the daft oath we are quite lucky in Ireland as our judges aren't elected, which means they can make unpopular decisions, which really protects people from the pitchfork brigade.

In Ireland we have a common law system which means that an awful lot of our laws are essentially judge made, either they interpreted a statue/legislation/Constitution to mean something or they follow their own rules set down in previous cases. This means that you really want an independent and unbiased judge as it is very easy for them to twist the law to suit their own religious values.

One of the best examples of judges changing the accepted law entirely can be seen in the X Case. Contrary to the public opinion the AG, the girls parents and what looked like the constitution they ruled that a woman had a right to an abortion in some cases. I think we know how that case would have been decided if they had allowed religious beliefs to intervene!

Another example of judges and religious influence can be seen in Charity Law. To get all the tax breaks etc a charity must meet criteria. However in Ireland religion is guaranteed to be included (as long as you aren't a scientologist or a spiritual medium), even if you are in an enclosed order and you just say prayers all day and don't actually lift a finger to help anybody. Its different in the UK, they get around it by holding the odd public mass, but in Ireland a religion doesn't actually have to tangibly help anyone to get charitable status. This is because judges always put strong emphasis on religion getting this highly prized status. Yet organisations like Amnesty International and the Anti Vivisection Union have been refused charitable status. Another example of why religion and law should not mix.

They are two big examples prob not too everyday but they are two of the mosy famous. There thousands of ways judges changed the law. This is why we need them independent. Like I said they aren't accountable to anyone so lets hope they don't turn to religion for ready made rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I wholeheartedly agree with this...

... the no smoking signs on public transport that is ;)

Should have put a bit of zoom on the auld camera :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I noticed these ads on the Dart over the last few days. Up to now, I didn't know about this requirement for the President and judges to take a religious oath, so I guess the campaign has had some success (for me anyhow).

I can't think of any good reason for this requirement in modern Ireland. It seems odd that there would have to be a campaign to get this changed; I would have though that the equality authority or the law reform commission would have picked up on this kind of blatant discrimanation.

I can't imagine that even the most religious people would find it possible to defend this requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Saw the ad the other day and I must say, I love the HAI logo, looks like a fellow running over about to give you a big hug. "HAI!"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Do you know what you should do? Find an atheistic judge and then bring a constitutional challenge ala Riordan v. An Taoiseach.

Seriously, 250k are disbarred from becoming judges because of their beliefs, but over 3m are disbarred from becoming judges because they are not qualified to do so.

I severely dislike crusty atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Crusty atheists? Wut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

anyone see the education one?

Advertisement