Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club HQ

Options
  • 06-04-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Morriseys's in Thurles is opening again next month under new management and will be called HQ. Rumor has it that it's going to be over 21's :D

Happy days. As long as they keep to that and don't let the scumbags in, I'm delighted I'll never have to grace Hayes again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Update!

From the horses mouth!

Club HQ will be membership only, over 25's (but if your under 25 but respectable i/e not a scumbag you'll be alright!)

Will be a Nite Club only.

Only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday Nights.

Open next month. I for one cannot wait, was in Hayes sat night, it was pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Anything that gives Hayes a run for it's money is good news but I can't see the over 25 thing lasting too long..

Anything that gives Hayes a run for it's money is good news but I can't see the over 25 thing lasting too long..

Over 25 for membership. I presume over 21 at the door. The members will get special discounts on certain nights I presume + get the sixth night free and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

So, 2 budding entrepeneurs(sp?) in town are re-opening Morriseys as a Members only pub/club? You'll aparantlay have to apply to be a member and they do a criminal record check according to the grapevine. What yiz think?

Will it work in the present climate when regular pubs are struggling to fill pubs on Saturday nites?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It might work if the drink is cheap,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Doomed to fail tbh.

It will follow the same pattern as "The Brewery" and "Morriseys". A few weeks of modest success, followed by the realisation that the target clientele are not numbered enough to keep the place afloat.
    Give it six months and the place will be riddled with scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

it might work if its a run as social club no to make a big profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I wouldnt join any club that would have me as a member:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I lived in thurles for a 6 mth spell. From what i remember at that time morrisseys was a good spot but realistically these days the only pubs that do a decent trade are places that offer decent prices, a bit of decent banter, and deliver a crowd even on a weekday.

I am a regular drinker and I reckon that that the only way most pubs will survive now is to accommodate the drinkers. My weekday local, throws out nice food 2/3 times a week (chips and sausages and chicken), will drop you home at the end of the night (within reason) and will have the chat and banter with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

its worth a try anyway. All the snobs would love it anyway.

The high and mighty of thurles doing their business deals.:):-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

the high and mighty don't frequent or may the base costs.

That is for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

MonicaBing wrote: »
    You'll aparantlay have to apply to be a member and they do a criminal record check according to the grapevine. What yiz think?

Heh a criminal record check.....I doubt it somehow Garda clearance is only available to people in a limited set of circumstances, the same applies with Police Certificates of Character and I'm pretty sure it'd be a breach of data protection laws for the Gardai to give out information like that about a person to a 3rd party like a pub owner for the purpose of becoming a member of a club.

Don't think there's enough of a target market in Thurles to support a business like this anyway but best of luck to whoever is opening it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It won't work, Thurles doesn't need any more pubs exclusive or not.
    Like the Brewery etc. before it's not going to last. Had dinner there once absolutley cack there's just something about the place it just doesn't have the atmosphere despite a lot of work being done on it over the years.

I think it would of been a great location for the library, or perhaps offices or even a couple of apartments because of it's central location.

I bet it won't work as a pub, been right about it every time it's been taken over before. There are also pubs closing down in Thurles now so it doesn't make good buisness sense. Even the well to do have their regular haunts and don't see why they would change when there are so many pubs already to choose from, if you find one a bit skanky you just pop to another.

Whoever has the place now is making a big mistake in my humble opinion.

Whoever has the place now is making a big mistake in my humble opinion.

Pat Hayes (The Arch Bar) and Johnny Quinn (John Quinn TV Shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Club HQ threads merged...

I can see Pat Hayes having the nous to run a place like that but i dont know the Quinn guy. It has such potential buuuuut, they would i imagine need a serious cash flow to keep it going? But if it is a ''who you know'' type of place they may as well sell it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭mikep

Latest word is that it will be a "regular" bar, cocktail bar and nightclub...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

alright, can i just ask as i'm not from Thurles, is HQ a normal night club or am i hearing right that it stands for hag's and queer's- surely not?!

• Advertisement

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    alright, can i just ask as i'm not from Thurles, is HQ a normal night club or am i hearing right that it stands for hag's and queer's- surely not?!

No it doesnt stand for hags and queers.

Latest news is they are having lighting problems and wont be open for another 4 weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

they have done some carefull consideration on this attempt and i think it will succeed. When it was open before, i remember all my friends wanting to leave after to go to hayzes because it wasnt much of a nite club and it was full of scumbags. I know hayzes is full of scumbags too, but having scumbags in non crowded spaces makes them more noticable.

Since there is so much anticipation for HQ now, all it needs to do is kick off well and hopefully it will survive.

Ah-Watch wrote: »

Head Quarters

hblock21 wrote: »
    No it doesnt stand for hags and queers.

Latest news is they are having lighting problems and wont be open for another 4 weeks now.

supposed to be open this saturday. im only 20 i hope they let me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

no its not head quarters or anything else that you might be guessing owned and run by pat hayes (local publican) and john quinn (local tv retailer). you put their names together and you get Hayes Quinn = HQ

So what was it like?

Did'nt make it to Thurles the weekend myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LADYlol

in all seriousness Quinn and Hayes should quit while they are still ahead morriseys is going to fail yet again no matter who is running it why do they even bother?? its too small too expensive and it just fails to compare to the good old reliable hayes nightclub !!! was in it their at the weekend and must say not really pushed to go again !!! one word HOTDOGS HQ youu wierdos!!! you dont know how to appeal to people who go to nightclubs seriously quit before you make too many losses can anyone say bankruptcy???:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Noli

LADYlol wrote: »
    in all seriousness Quinn and Hayes should quit while they are still ahead morriseys is going to fail yet again no matter who is running it why do they even bother?? its too small too expensive and it just fails to compare to the good old reliable hayes nightclub !!! was in it their at the weekend and must say not really pushed to go again !!! one word HOTDOGS HQ youu wierdos!!! you dont know how to appeal to people who go to nightclubs seriously quit before you make too many losses can anyone say bankruptcy???:eek::eek:

I take it you didnt have a good time :D
    in all seriousness has any one been?its gotta be better than hayes's

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tazpm

I was talking to some friends and family who went. Said it was great. And god forbid someone fed ya while your drinkin??? Whats so wrong with a hotdog stand in the back. They loved the Irish bar aswell said it looks great and would work for bands playing!. The memberships seems to be, if you go 5 times you get a coulpe drinks free on the 5th time and feck, what harm is that if it gets ya in the door.
    I say best of luck to them, there are always begrudgers so Im not shocked at all the previous posts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

Website is up and running at the below site. Anything that moves ppl away from Hayes Byjasus has to be a good thing.

http://www.nightclubhq.com/

Advertisement