Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Won't Read Disc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rb wrote: »
    As I pasted into another thread

from CitizensInformation.ie

So I'm not going to fret about their little "manufacturers warranty" just yet :)

There seems to be some doubt over that EU directive in Ireland according to some here.

Anyway, as I said, let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭finno

Hi

My PS3 is playing up at the moment when i am watching a dvd it freezes from a second and comes back but it jumps a couple of minutes in the film. Is this a sign that my blue ray laser is on its way out??

thanks

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

noodler wrote: »
    There seems to be some doubt over that EU directive in Ireland according to some here.

Anyway, as I said, let us know.
    Well, I'm going to trust CI over the word of someone on Boards any day tbh. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who think they know it all around here :)

Just to update, I contacted Sony about my broken PS3, or I should say my wonderful girlfriend did because she knew I'd just end up threatening them a load if I did it myself :D

Game wanted nothing to do with it, they said it was out of warranty and to contact Sony. We got on to Sony, who said despite it being "out of warranty" they'd do us a favour and fix it providing we had the receipt, but that the replacement would have no warranty (lols). It has been sent off today so we will see what happens, we're getting a refurbed one from them as a replacement.

It comes as no surprise that Game were an unhelpful bunch of pricks, as they always seem to be, and I would have liked to see them brought to the SCC over it, but it's sorted now. However, I will do my best to never buy anything in their stores again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Well, I'm going to trust CI over the word of someone on Boards any day tbh. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who think they know it all around here :)

If you read SI 11 of 2003, it doesn't say 2 years anywhere. Very surprised at CI putting it on their website. Our Sale of Goods Act affords much longer protection, thats why "Certain aspects" of the EU directive were implemented, but not the 2 years warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Just to update, I contacted Sony about my broken PS3, or I should say my wonderful girlfriend did because she knew I'd just end up threatening them a load if I did it myself :D

Game wanted nothing to do with it, they said it was out of warranty and to contact Sony. We got on to Sony, who said despite it being "out of warranty" they'd do us a favour and fix it providing we had the receipt, but that the replacement would have no warranty (lols). It has been sent off today so we will see what happens, we're getting a refurbed one from them as a replacement.

RB was it a 60gb PS3 out of interest? Mine broke recently and it was a year and a half old and Sony refused to repair it unless I paid €160 which I told them was unreasonable, especially as the one they send back only has a three month warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

It comes as no surprise that Game were an unhelpful bunch of pricks, as they always seem to be, and I would have liked to see them brought to the SCC over it, but it's sorted now. However, I will do my best to never buy anything in their stores again.

Mine packed in a few weeks out of warranty. I bought from Golden Discs who owe a fortune to Sony ( Golden Discs under examinership ) .I also got a will do you a favour if you have the receipt from Sony . I did go SCC avenue as well but pleased to say I cancelled that today as a refurb ( with no warranty ) arrived today! Sent me a 80GB model to replace 40GB model so son will be happy anyway.....unless of course it breaks down in a years time !

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Mine died last night, I have a 60gb version, have it since launch date so it's definitely out of warranty.

One minute it's working fine - the next it won't play anything! We don't even use it that much, mainly just for watching movies.

I'm certain they'll want the €160 to repair it but I might try the small claims court instead because I think for €599 a product should be reasonably durable (ie last longer than two years of moderate use) & the problems with faulty blu ray drives are well documented across the internet. Surely sony were aware of these problems but had no intention of issuing a recall or extending the warranty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

revileandy wrote: »
    Mine died last night, I have a 60gb version, have it since launch date so it's definitely out of warranty.

One minute it's working fine - the next it won't play anything! We don't even use it that much, mainly just for watching movies.

I'm certain they'll want the €160 to repair it but I might try the small claims court instead because I think for €599 a product should be reasonably durable (ie last longer than two years of moderate use) & the problems with faulty blu ray drives are well documented across the internet. Surely sony were aware of these problems but had no intention of issuing a recall or extending the warranty.

If there is a problem, and personally I think there is, Sony have limited the damage by quietly fixing the early ones out of warranty. Its a pity nothing will change until the US gets a class action going. Best we can do here is small claims court. Let us know how you get on, I'm sure there will be great interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

I had the same problem where it wouldnt read discs and while most of the time it is a blu-ray laser problem sometimes you can get the same symptoms with a different cause. My console stopped reading discs after the update that updates the Blu-ray profile to V1.1 I think the update corrupted the drivers that tell the system how to play discs.

Anyways It was a 60Gb PS3 still in warranty at the time and Sony offered me a refurb 60GB console but instead I decided to stroll into HMV on christmas eve and queue for 2 hours to get a brand new 40GB console for free because no shops stocked 60Gb consoles anymore. Still not sure if I made the right choice as HDD size didnt bother me but I lost 2 usb ports and the card reader.

Anyway the PS3 and Wii only have less than 2% failure rate which is quite good as the european electronic standards for product failure is anywhere within 3% so a for a complicated peice like a gmaes console that is quite good.

Anyway the PS3 and Wii only have less than 2% failure rate which is quite good as the european electronic standards for product failure is anywhere within 3% so a for a complicated peice like a gmaes console that is quite good.

Where did you get those figures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

I got the same problem as the op last night, how long does the warranty last for the ps3.

Indie18 wrote: »
    I got the same problem as the op last night, how long does the warranty last for the ps3.

Sony and the seller will tell you 12 months. Sale of Goods and Services Act would seem to suggest longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Sony replaced mine even though 8 weeks out of warranty! But only after I kept E-mailing them !

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

I had the yellow light problem..

i contacted HMV who told me they have nothing to do with it after 12 months and passed my onto sony who told me its out of warranty and pay them 160 euro to get a replacement with 3 months warranty..

i didnt agree to this and told both HMV and Sony about my consumer rights.Sony told me those rights- sale of goods and supply of services act- only applys to the retailer.

i bought my ps3 on launch day - 23 march 2007.

so after many calls and emails i finally starting looking to get it repaired elsewhere. My friend told me about a place in Talbot street called Games Exchange. i rang them up last friday brought my playstation in to them on saturday. I had to put a 25 euro deposit they also told me that it could cost either 60 euro or 120 euro depending on what is wrong with it.
    I should be able to collect it next monday.

Finally i have to say im dissappointed with both HMV and Sony with their polices and a staff member in HMV.
    They manager in HMV came to the point where he told me actually forget about the consumer law!! He also told disputed how much I actually paid.I told him i paid 630 euro when he told me they have never sold a ps3 for that price even though i had my receipt in my hand and was reading it out to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

same happened mine. i rang up sony last night and told me about replacing it for 160 euro. i asked him to try and trace the warranty via serial no. or something but he didnt even attempt to.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Without being rude, you're an idiot for not following this up further with the Consumer Affairs.

This is why they get away with it in the first place.

As I previously posted out, my friend had his PS3 fixed / replaced for free even though his was a launch console.

AND HE HAD NO RECEIPT ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

lordlame wrote: »
    Without being rude, you're an idiot for not following this up further with the Consumer Affairs.

As I previously posted out, my friend had his PS3 fixed / replaced for free even though his was a launch console.

What the hell are you talking about?

Its over two years old? What law, now seriously what law exactly unequivocally states he should get another one free?

Christ, your friend this, your friend that, your friend had no right to anything without a receipt. He should consider himself lucky, doesn't make the OP an 'idiot' or anything like it.

noodler wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about?

Returning a broken PS3.
    noodler wrote:
    Its over two years old?

Yeah. The OP said he bought it in March 2007.
    noodler wrote:
    What law, now seriously what law exactly unequivocally states he should get another one free?

It should be repaired for free, not necessarlily given a new one.
    noodler wrote:
    Christ, your friend this, your friend that, your friend had no right to anything without a receipt. He should consider himself lucky, doesn't make the OP an 'idiot' or anything like it.

Noodler: I have added to this thread by stating that my friend was successful in getting his LAUNCH PS3 repaired FOR FREE by SMYTHS WITHOUT a receipt.

If you read back, you will see that RB was also successful in tackling Sony and WAS NOT OUT OF POCKET for his course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

Stevo93 wrote: »
    Finally i have to say im dissappointed with both HMV and Sony with their polices and a staff member in HMV.
    They manager in HMV came to the point where he told me actually forget about the consumer law!! He also told disputed how much I actually paid.I told him i paid 630 euro when he told me they have never sold a ps3 for that price even though i had my receipt in my hand and was reading it out to him

I bought a 630 euro ps3 bundle from hmv!

I had a sceond controller, ridge racer and resistance

SO yeah they are wrong

• Advertisement

i rang sony last monday he said he would seend me an email with information about sending my ps3 off to get fixed for €160, one week on, nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

lordlame wrote: »

Your friend is lucky as consumer law in Ireland doesn't really provide for people when their unit is over a year old and they have no proof of purchase.

As far as I'm aware (and I stand to be corrected on this) European law has a 2 year warranty attached to all electronics goods. Ireland did not sign up to this as Irish law states that goods must last as long as they should as per manufacturer. Sony could say they only guarantee it for 1 year, as most electronics manufacturers will do. As I say I'm not entirely positive on this but this is my understanding of how it all works here.

Your friend is lucky as consumer law in Ireland doesn't really provide for people when their unit is over a year old and they have no proof of purchase.

As far as I'm aware (and I stand to be corrected on this) European law has a 2 year warranty attached to all electronics goods. Ireland did not sign up to this as Irish law states that goods must last as long as they should as per manufacturer. Sony could say they only guarantee it for 1 year, as most electronics manufacturers will do. As I say I'm not entirely positive on this but this is my understanding of how it all works here.

Not quite. The actual law states for a reasonable period of time. To find out what is reasonable you must go before a judge. Then he decides. If you can show an inherent flaw, that would sway him even more to say its not reasonable to last only 13 months or whatever. What we really need here is the ability to launch class action law suits. Its the only way to get big the big manufacturers to take any notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭NanoLion3

The exact thing happened to me, was just finished playing COD:WAW zombies and it just stopped reading disc's, I was told if you have a launch date 60GB PS3 the laser is most likely to fail due to backwards compatibility even if you don't play PS1 or PS2 games on the PS3 and from cramming a card reader in it, I have the launch date 60GB model and got it fixed for 100euro by consoles Ireland, if you think about it less is more;)

im ringing sony today. Any ideas as to what i should say to make them feel bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Its not because of backwards compatiabilty or the card reader? How would the card reader effect it!?

They have changed the lens when they switched to the 40gb so I presume the failing laser is something to do with on the original lens the laser for the DVD and the Bluray were in the same place, now they are not.

Its not because of backwards compatiabilty or the card reader? How would the card reader effect it!?

They have changed the lens when they switched to the 40gb so I presume the failing laser is something to do with on the original lens the laser for the DVD and the Bluray were in the same place, now they are not.
    Actually it is to do with the card reader and backwards compatibility thats why they stopped retailing them and 60GB models are most likely to fail because there is to much crammed in it, its just like if you want a good sound system you would get one with only an on/off and up/down volume button the less you have in it the less chance of it failing

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

NanoLion3 wrote: »
    Actually it is to do with the card reader and backwards compatibility thats why they stopped retailing them and 60GB models are most likely to fail because there is to much crammed in it, its just like if you want a good sound system you would get one with only an on/off and up/down volume button the less you have in it the less chance of it failing
    Wouldn't have any effect on the laser though. The disc drive is encased in its own "box" inside the console.

byte wrote: »
    Wouldn't have any effect on the laser though. The disc drive is encased in its own "box" inside the console.

Ok maybe not the card reader but thats what I was told in a consoles retail shop they could be wrong but then again thats bad for their reputation so I think they would have alot of knowledge of what they are talking about but the backwards compatibility does make most 60GB models fail because its a Blu-Ray laser for reading Blu-Ray Disc's and it wasn't made for that type of stress on the integrity of the laser, so if you play alot of PS1 and PS2 games, the laser is going to burn out a hell of alot quicker

• Advertisement

*** update

The PS3 that my friend had replaced has died - about 8 months since the replacement.

They're looking for the €160 fee to fix the console. On calling Sony for a second time, they've said they were in touch with Sony's HO in Ireland and are replacing the PS3 free of charge.

This information has not reached the actual store yet, keep you posted.

Advertisement