Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing running books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Woddle wrote: »
    I gave up reading it as it just bored me. I'm about to start running with buffaloes and after that 26.2 miles to Boston to help get me in the zone for Berlin (both lent to me by posters here). Just finishing Alberto Salazars training book and it's a great read.

Running with the buffalo's sounds like an absolutely cracking read, Im dying to get into that one.

What is the Murakami book actually about? Is it just solely his experiences with running or is their other stuff in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Running with the buffalo's sounds like an absolutely cracking read, Im dying to get into that one.

What is the Murakami book actually about? Is it just solely his experiences with running or is their other stuff in it?

Its a brilliant read once woddle finished with it you can have a lend if you like i would also recommend the perfect mile my favourite running book and aside from the three milers which it follows also gives an insight into Percy Cerutty's early philosophies and training techniques

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not very good at sharing, have a lot of the books listed on here but one's I'd be willing to share are;

4 months to a 4 hour marathon - I never really read this I just literally flicked through it. Would be good for someone who is training for their first marathon, it's pretty basic but everything is written in an easy to understand fashion. Click here to see it on Amazon

Running on Empty by Andy Blackford - just a collection of his columns from Runners World mag. Good for a light, easy read.

I Run, Therfore I Am Nuts! by Bob Schwartz - similar to the above only he's yank and writes for numerous different publications.

Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters With the Ultramarathon - collection of stories by ultrarunners. Really good, inspirational read which has filled my head with all sorts of crazy and insane ideas like The Grand Slam of Ultrarunning, The Last Great Race and the Barkley 100(look them up, I dare you). I will most definately be doing all of them some time. :D
    Amazon linkage

ecoli wrote: »
    Its a brilliant read once woddle finished with it you can have a lend if you like i would also recommend the perfect mile my favourite running book and aside from the three milers which it follows also gives an insight into Percy Cerutty's early philosophies and training techniques

Really? Now I didnt know that. I was looking for a decent book on Cerutty (but at the same time I didnt want to read a 1000 page biography on him:D) so that sounds great (he was a fascinating character).

I have a stack of books up to my head that I want to read...dont know when Im going to get the time.:rolleyes:

I also have THIS not much about actual training plans like other books but it talks about nutrition, injury prevention, kit, core work, cross training etc probably more suited to the less experienced runner. Injury section is quite good, with exercises to combat different injuries.

• Advertisement

Really? Now I didnt know that. I was looking for a decent book on Cerutty (but at the same time I didnt want to read a 1000 page biography on him:D) so that sounds great (he was a fascinating character).

I have a stack of books up to my head that I want to read...dont know when Im going to get the time.:rolleyes:

Yeah though unfortunately he is not portrayed in a positive aspect as it shows Landy s development into the world record miler only after he leaves Cerruty as a coach and begins to train himself. Ha yeah that is always the way when you get a few running books at the moment i the opposite i have read all my books so looking for any reccomendations. Is coughlans bio any good? After reading sonia s i am weary of dissapointment again in an irish biography as i am 0/2 with Sonia s and Paddy Hogans both major let downs in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

ecoli wrote: »
    Yeah though unfortunately he is not portrayed in a positive aspect as it shows Landy s development into the world record miler only after he leaves Cerruty as a coach and begins to train himself. Ha yeah that is always the way when you get a few running books at the moment i the opposite i have read all my books so looking for any reccomendations. Is coughlans bio any good? After reading sonia s i am weary of dissapointment again in an irish biography as i am 0/2 with Sonia s and Paddy Hogans both major let downs in my opinion

Yeah its worth a read, I have it if you want.

Yeah that sounds good i am nearly finished the other book you gave me so i will give that back before i start a new one. Good read btw thanks for the lend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

McConkey wrote: »
    :( Aw, I bought this lately but haven't read it yet...reading a few running books at the moment....prob a sign of an untidy mind not to just finish one....but I will add to the Boards Library when I finally get finished some of them :o

I am currently reading Murakami's book and find it fascinating.

I think he describes the obsessive part of running perfectly. At times it can be as interesting as reading the training logs on this forum :D but he also describes the thoughts of a runner perfectly. I liked his description of his solo run from Athens to Marathon in the searing heat and also his first ultra-marathon.

There is a parallel drawn with his writing career throughout the book but essentially this is a book about one man's love of running.

Its easily read and I would recommend it but maybe I am the one out of step. I will finish it this week but intend to hold on to it to read again before I run a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

I have the following to lend if anyone is interested:

Hal Higdon - Marathon The Ultimate Training Guide
    Richard Nerurkar - Marathon Running From beginner to elite
    Jeff Galloway - Marathon You Can Do It (suited to someone doing first marathon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

LambDave wrote: »
    Out of your books I've been meaning to get the Murakami book

bazman wrote: »
    Would be interested in giving Paula's & Sonia's books a read. I'll have a look through my books at home to see what I can offer in return and send a PM ...

LambDave - will send you Murakami
    bazman - will send you Paula and Sonia

PM me your respective addresses and will pop them in the post today. If you let me know by lunchtime I'll send them out today, otherwise it'll be another four weeks before I can send them as I'm going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I have a good few that i can lend but I think most have been mentioned before:

sonia (someone has borrowed this at the moment but should be getting it back soon)
    paula radcliffs (excuse the spelling, thought it was a good read)
    roger bannisters 4 minute mile - (written a long time ago but a good read)
    feet in the clouds (some excellent stories but boring in parts)
    I kicked the devil in the shins by mark byrne (about a runner who gets cancer, maybe a bit depressing but a good enough read)
    the flying scotsmn (about the cyclist...very very depressing book)
    rough ride - paul kimmage (great read)
    mad bad dangerous to know - ranulph fiennes (interesting in parts but not one I enjoyed)

I have a few more but I can't think of them or haven't finished them or have lent them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

I have a stupid amount of running books. I don't have a count but I'd guess somewhere between 300 - 400. That's embarrassing to even type. I have two whole book cases and half another filled with these tomes that dominate the back room of my house. Like some others have said I'm not particularly great at loaning books but am good at swaping particularly when it means getting my hands and a nice juicy old book that I've not seen before or wanted for a while. (Carberry anyone ?)

If anyone is interested in taking a chance on a book that they might not have heard of before, the best one of all of the books I've read is a little known account of a trans continental run written by a guy called James Shapiro and entitled 'Meditations from The Breakdown Lane'. It's just superbly written, a great adventure story and mostly devoid of the usual ego pumping stuff you get in such accounts. I used to have a couple of copies but ended up giving all but one away. When I looked on Amazon just now the cheapest I coud see was $125.00 and I said drat! (or words to that effect) But low and behold I checked www.bookfinder.com and there are plenty of cheap copies out there.

If you've an interest in ultrarunning or even just roadrunning you could do a lot worse than snap up a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Mick definately gets the gig as the ART book reviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

dna_leri wrote: »
    I am currently reading Murakami's book and find it fascinating.

I think he describes the obsessive part of running perfectly. At times it can be as interesting as reading the training logs on this forum :D but he also describes the thoughts of a runner perfectly. I liked his description of his solo run from Athens to Marathon in the searing heat and also his first ultra-marathon.

There is a parallel drawn with his writing career throughout the book but essentially this is a book about one man's love of running.

Its easily read and I would recommend it but maybe I am the one out of step. I will finish it this week but intend to hold on to it to read again before I run a marathon.

I read this last year and loved it. The title comes from a play on words from the title of the book of short stories by Raymond Carver called 'What we talk about when we talk about love'. Murakami cites Carver as one of his main inspirations for becoming a writer. Carver was one of the american literary giants of the 20th century. What I liked about the book was the isolation and the insight that running gives him (and me). That is the thing about all running (and races in particular) - you are alone while surrounded by all these other people who have gathered to experience the same loneliness that you get from running. I know training with partners and adventure racing are more team orientated but is there anything more beautiful than a 3 hour long run on your own? It is the closest you can be to a hermit in our connected society.

On a less philosophical note Eating for Endurance by margaret coleman is a very good book for marathoners, triathletes, cyclists and ultras. I gave mine to my brother-in-law whose thing is 100 mile+ bike races (Sportives I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Just finished 'Ultramarathon Man' by Dean Karnazes - if anyone wants it send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

A P wrote: »
    Just finished 'Ultramarathon Man' by Dean Karnazes - if anyone wants it send me a pm.

PM sent. Unfortunately guys I have nothing in return at the moment as i'm only starting off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Sound - it's all yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Here's what I have at the mo:
    • Sonia
    • The Complete Book of Running -Fixx
    • The New Competitive Runner's Handbook
    • Lore of Running
    • The Allan Wells Book of Sprinting
    • Sports Speed - Dintiman, Ward and Tellez

Also general sports science books or books on other sports:
    • The Lance Armstrong Performance Program
    • Serious Training for Serious Athletes - V.Interesting this one
    • Physical Fitness and Athletic Performance
    • Peak Performance - About zen and the 'zone'
    • Science of Cycling
    • Explosive Power and Strength - Chu (V.interesting)
    • 23 Days in July - About Armstrong's last TdF win
    • Faster - Gleick

I'll happily bring them to any meets or races (if I ever get to any :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Lore of Running

I bought this recently, excellent book and brilliant value at €23 in Waterstones. Don't think I'll need to buy another running book anytime soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

I bought this recently, excellent book and brilliant value at €23 in Waterstones. Don't think I'll need to buy another running book anytime soon :)

Good choice!
    I bought it recently on www.thebookdeository.co.uk
    for €21.99 with free delivery worldwide and hell its massive isn`t it?
    I might have to retire to read it...:D

Magnet wrote: »
    Good choice!
    I bought it recently on www.thebookdeository.co.uk
    for €21.99 with free delivery worldwide and hell its massive isn`t it?
    I might have to retire to read it...:D

Woah! I usually use the book depository store on amazon and have to pay for delivery. I didn't know they did free delivery from their own site. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Read 'Ultramarathon Man' by Dean Karnazes while on my hols.... All i can say is WOW!!! the man is a legend! Made me feel like 26.2 miles is more than achievable for anyone!

If anyone wants it next let me know and i'll post it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

I've read it. I am currently reading 'meditations from the breakdown lane: running across america' by James Shapiro. He ran across america from san fran to NYC at an average of 40 - 50 miles per day in 1980. The book is out of print but it is an amazing read. I keep having fantasies about jogging 20 miles in the morning and 20 more in the afternoon............like I could!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

I'm in the middle of reading "Born to Run; the rise of ultra running and the super athlete tribe" by christopher mcdougall and its a cracker.

It bridges the gap between "running" and literary really well, and is by far the most engaging book i've read in this realm. Its focus is on the incredible ultra distance runners of the mexican tarahumara tribe and their ethos of running for joy and with nature.

I'll post it here up for a swap when i'm finished at the end of next week - but if anyone is looking for a book to buy right now, i'd highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

How about a book free to download - Running Fast and Injury Free by Gordon Pirie. Thoroughly entertaining, instructive and forthright - guaranteed to raise hackles! You can find it at www.gordonpirie.com

RoyMcC wrote: »
    How about a book free to download - Running Fast and Injury Free by Gordon Pirie. Thoroughly entertaining, instructive and forthright - guaranteed to raise hackles! You can find it at www.gordonpirie.com

Love that book. Its so old-school yet I found it interesting that he was saying things years ago that are becoming quite trendy now and often packaged as groundbreaking idea's.

Stuff like "Chi-running" or training in racing flats. Pirie was saying this stuff years ago. Very good read if a bit mad in places:P

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Never fancied Murakami's 'What I talk about...'

Just finished Paul Rumbali's 'Barefoot Runner' the story of Abebe Bikila.
    Couldnt believe that before him no one thought the Africans could run long distances fast..this at the same timeline of Emil Zatopek.

Never fancied Murakami's 'What I talk about...'

Just finished Paul Rumbali's 'Barefoot Runner' the story of Abebe Bikila.
    Couldnt believe that before him no one thought the Africans could run long distances fast..this at the same timeline of Emil Zatopek.

To think if Hogan had beaten him in Tokyo maybe they still wouldnt have and Irish would be the dominant force in world distance running (with UK taking credit as he ran for them despite being born and raised in Limerick) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

He did actually run for Ireland in Tokyo...he only switched later after a row with the BLE over expenses...

Advertisement