Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA guarantees to beat your car insurance renewal quote

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'm with One Direct for 4 years with NCB and the best they could do when i rang was €450, it was €633 in the renewal letter!!! Customer loyalty discount my hole.
    AA's best was €550 so i don't know what that letter is about, cowboys there all cowboys i tell you.
    I rang 123.ie today and got it for €389, underwritten by Travelers, insure.ie quoted €407 those 2 were by far the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

anybody know who underwrites the AA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are merely a broker. They mostly use a crowd called Prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

McSween wrote: »
    anybody know who underwrites the AA?

AIG on my policy documents received today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

brophs wrote: »
    AIG on my policy documents received today.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭daheff

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I got 520 from quinn Direct, no one else could or would come close. Tried AA, Hibernian, 123, and allianz, who were double anyone else.

ditto

quoted there "we'll beat anybody" and was told they were offering a different package to quinn so wouldnt change their price....i didnt even say goodbye when i hung up on the f**kers

So that is their get out clause then? That can be applied to all quotes lower than theirs.
    No two packages will be the same. Sneaky feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

To be honest, I just got on to AA, and they quoted me €648 with their total package comprehensive (29yo male). My cheapest quote before this was with Nonosense.ie and it was €697. So in this case AA are cheapest.

To be honest, I just got on to AA, and they quoted me €648 with their total package comprehensive (29yo male). My cheapest quote before this was with Nonosense.ie and it was €697. So in this case AA are cheapest.
    In your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Bond-007 wrote: »
    In your case.

Yes of course. I was just surprised because Brittons, FBD ect all quoted me well over €1000, so I am happily shocked that AA turned out to be cheapest in my case. The underwriter is AIG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I've been with RSA via the AA for the last few years. This year I done a good shop around and still went with RSA again via the AA, as I felt there cover was the most comprehensive for the money at €598. Eventhough others were close and included some form of NCD protection not all benefits were equal.

Attached is a summary of my shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Did my phone around last week, AA quoted me €501 (step back protection), this did not beat my €365 quote from JLT with full protection and roadside assist.

I phoned them back this week and mentioned the guarantee and my €500 quote was changed to 410 with full protection and no roadside assist. They offered me €345, full protection but no roadside assist.

THE WINNER IS JLT!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

Has anyone any experience with dealing with 123.ie as I just got a quote and they are by far the cheapest for me.

Depends on if the quote meets all your requirements.

123 are ok to deal with. One broker I spoke to does not like travellers insurance stating that they are very hard to deal with in the event of an accident occuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

kellsum wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with dealing with 123.ie as I just got a quote and they are by far the cheapest for me.

Just switched from quinn to them. No hassle easy process and cheapest quote by far. All round a happy experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Apple Orange

I was just wondering about travellers, who are providing insurance through 123.ie. I got a quote from them which is €600 less than the best my own insurer could give me, and I'm wondering is it too good to be true?

I don't want to have to go through the whole policy (zzzzz) so does anyone know of any major exclusions that apply on their policies?

Until something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

hmm yes that's what I was wondering, I didn't realise they did travellers insurance it was only car insurance I was looking at.

What? Travelers is the name of the Company, they're providing car insurance

123 are only a broker. Travellers is the real insurance compay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 photonirvana

Bond-007 wrote: »
    123 are only a broker. Travellers is the real insurance compay.

Are they really a broker if they only represent ONE insurance company?

On their website 123.ie claim to represent several insurance companies:
    http://www.123.ie/compliance/agency_list.htm

However, a few days ago I was told by a person from 123.ie customer service that for motor insurance they ONLY represent Travellers.

Also, nowhere on their website do 123.ie claim to be an insurance broker.

There may be a good reason to avoid this term. I don't know if the legal situation in Ireland is the same as in the UK, but Wikipedia has the following interesting bit of information to offer in this regard (relating to the UK):

"The term Insurance Broker became a regulated term under the Insurance Brokers (Registration) Act 1977[1] which was designed to thwart the bogus practices of firms holding themselves as brokers but in fact acting as representative of one or more favoured insurance companies."

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photonirvana

By the way - my car insurance is currently with Travelers - via 123.ie

I changed to a different car this month and it took 17 days until I received the new insurance disk!

In the meantime I rang 123.ie asking why it took so long. They said it wasn't their fault and referred me to Travelers. Travelers were extremely unfriendly - said the delay had nothing to do with them but everything with 123.ie and by the way "we do not deal with the general public directly." In other words: get lost.

The classical case of being sent around in circles. Don't we all love it?

If merely changing to a different car is a hassle, what pain could a claim become? After this experience I will not be renewing with 123.ie/Travelers.

I've heard claims are a real pain with Travelers, I took out a policy with them last month but don't think I will in the future, it was a cash flow issue that made me do it!! They were the cheapest by a longshot (I had a claim three years ago), Fingers crossed for no claims this year and then I'll move to a different insurance company next year I think.

Advertisement