Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hands up if you have got a job within the last 2 months

Options
  • 30-03-2009 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭

Im just trying to gauge the level of the recession here.

Anyone who has been hired, please say "Anseo" with the location and industry
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

How can you gauge the level without knowing
    1. How Many people who have read this thread work in Ireland
    2. How many of those people are unemployed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

How can you gauge the level without knowing
    1. How Many people who have read this thread work in Ireland
    2. How many of those people are unemployed

Your right. My logic is flawed.

However, without asking people their individual personal circumstances, it does at least help to get a general picture

So a simple "Yep i got a job so i did" will suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I got a job yesterday, but eh, not the kind you're on about I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You're all fúcked.
    act accordingly.

SV wrote: »
    You're all fúcked.
    act accordingly.

Thank you. That was very helpful.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Does a handjob count?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anseo. Berlin. Call Centre.
    Anseo. Berlin. Mural painting.

Two in three months. What recession...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Thank you. That was very helpful.
    :rolleyes:

No problem.
    I am running for election next time around so please vote me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Lost my job in Jan but have had 2 interviews since then and another 2 lined up. Meh. I'll get one of them eventually (3 out of those 4 are not based in Ireland by the way).

Industry: Crocodile wrangling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

cornbb wrote: »
    Lost my job in Jan but have had 2 interviews since then and another 2 lined up. Meh. I'll get one of them eventually (3 out of those 4 are not based in Ireland by the way).

Industry: Crocodile wrangling.

You need to ask yourself exactly WHY there are so many openings in that particular industry.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You need to ask yourself exactly WHY there are so many openings in that particular industry.

Badger baitin is on the way down :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i've been offered one job and contacted about 2 or 3 other jobs. All in ireland. All unsolicited. I'm a debt collector

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

pwd wrote: »
    i've been offered one job and contacted about 2 or 3 other jobs. All in ireland. All unsolicited. I'm a debt collector

It's an ill wind that blows nobody good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I'm not applying for any more jobs until we're at least 18 months into the next boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

rediguana wrote: »
    I'm not applying for any more jobs until we're at least 18 months into the next boom.

Can you work while collecting a government pension ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There are loads of IT jobs at the minute, just seems to be mostly dublin though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

Got a new job in Dublin last week.
    Pharmaceutical business.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

My bro got a very nice job last week. had to make a few calls and pull a few strings to get it tho.

We also hired a person in my work 2 weeks ago. A Marketing person.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was offered 2 jobs in one week in January.. Had been out of work since the end of October though.. Both office jobs within the Construction Industry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I've had 4 interviews in the last 2 weeks (am still waiting for a response from them) after about a month of looking.

I also know about 5 people who have gotten jobs in the last 2 months. 4 were in Ireland and 1 in Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

My company closed a few weeks back - have had two interviews so far but didn't get either job (one in HR and the other in Management) - had valid experience and qualifications for both jobs and did good interviews but I guess its just a sign of how competitive it is right now in the market.

Have another lined up for next week but my gut feeling is that if I dont secure this position I will be out of work for weeks to come because the market is so bad right now and competition is fierce for everything.

My only personal saving grace is that I had planned for this situation months ago so financially I'm sound for a year......but I'm panicking already and thinking I'll probably need the guts of 12 months to get sorted:(

Oasis44 wrote: »
    My company closed a few weeks back - have had two interviews so far but didn't get either job (one in HR and the other in Management) - had valid experience and qualifications for both jobs and did good interviews but I guess its just a sign of how competitive it is right now in the market.

Have another lined up for next week but my gut feeling is that if I dont secure this position I will be out of work for weeks to come because the market is so bad right now and competition is fierce for everything.

My only personal saving grace is that I had planned for this situation months ago so financially I'm sound for a year......but I'm panicking already and thinking I'll probably need the guts of 12 months to get sorted:(

I know where your coming from. I been saving the bit extra myself to avoid the inevitable pain of job loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Here's the funny thing that I read in the paper yesterday that I had never considered before.... There are probably as many people , if not more people losing their jobs and leaving the country, who are not signing on, as there are losing their jobs and staying here. So the figures we are getting from the government in relation to the number of jobs being lost every month (which is based on people signing on the live register), is probably only 50% of the actual job losses, as there are aparently as many people being let go and just going back to their own country...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

Best advice I can pass onto people who still have jobs is to:

Start saving every euro thats possible now
    Go through your monthly outgoings and see what bills you can cut or reduce (by switching to another phone provider for example)
    If you have a mortgage take out payment protection
    If you have a personal loan/CC take out payment protection
    Find out your welfare entitlements/redundancy payments so that you can put some sort of financial plan together while your looking for a new job.

I did all of the above and the difference it made on my personal situation (when I lost my job) was immense - basically it was the difference between severe financial hardship and sitting pretty for a year while I sort myself out (not that I'll be sitting on my backside you understand - I'm actively looking for a new job right now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I've applied for 50+ job's over the past 3 and a half month's. number of interview's 0 number of conformation emails 0....

It's looking as tho my only option, is to retrain it's ok for some people tho I know i have issues with spelling and get my covering letter grammer cheacked bye my old man and
    then i send it to some one to proof read it, in case he missed out some thing,my cv is up to date, Im on job seeker's allounce which means I have a to provide proof, of my job hunting but, I've no qulifaction's, just experence...

My cvs top nocuh i can sell my self and my experence's pretty well just getting over looked 100% of the time, its not that i couldnt do the job I ust think there is a strong compition for jobs now adays....

well for me there is... Think i may have to retrain going into fas next week as im currently moving renting location's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

connundrum wrote: »
    Badger baitin is on the way down :(

Seal Clubbing/Shooting is making a comeback.

The fish farming industry hates them cos they bite through the nets and feast on the pool of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sally88

I have been looking for a job since i left college last june:(,I have had a few interviews, the main problem seems to be my lack of experience!!!:( I was hoping to get a job as a trainee manager when i left college, trainee as in train you in, when i go to interview they bascially say I dont have the experience, and let me add that some of these places were only offering the mininum wage and they want a trainee to have at least two years experience:mad:, im doomed, i just feel like im at a dead end

so i have decided to immigrate and hope for the best

wish me look:rolleyes:

sally88 wrote: »
    I have been looking for a job since i left college last june:(,I have had a few interviews, the main problem seems to be my lack of experience!!!:( I was hoping to get a job as a trainee manager when i left college, trainee as in train you in, when i go to interview they bascially say I dont have the experience, and let me add that some of these places were only offering the mininum wage and they want a trainee to have at least two years experience:mad:, im doomed, i just feel like im at a dead end

Ok...Normally I would criticise your grammar and cite it as THE #1 reason why you are not obtaining employment.

But I am feeling generous today. Do not lose hope. There is no such thing as a dead end. Keep knocking on the door - remember: If you build it*, they will come

*Your CV

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

sally88 wrote: »

I hope your CV is not in that horrible bold my eyes :eek:

Advertisement