Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastodon.-- Crack The Skye

Options
  • 29-03-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭

Mastodon's Crack The Skye, i am very impressed. Heard their earlier stuff, it didn't do anything for me, but the new album is stunning, probably going to be album of the year for me. It's like early Sabbath meets A Perfect Circle with a sprinkling of early Rush type time signatures. I recognised the talent \ potential of the musicians in their earlier work, but in terms of song writing, harmonies and incredible riffs, this album is a giant leap forward.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Mastodon have been leaping forward with every album. Unbelieveable band. Unbelievable album. They are going to be HUGE.

The most striking thing about the new album is the vocals, the boys have put the work in. Voices sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

It took me a listen or 2 to really get into it. But I really can't stress enough how amazing this album is. I dont think I've ever heard an entire album so good before.
    Every song fits in with the last perfectly. Again, vocals have taken such a leap forward, but still keeping that distinctive mastodon sound.

I also really respect how experimental they were. In some parts, theres just outright funk!!
    Its the mark of a really good band. Usually when bands experiment, and use gongs, tamborines etc etc, it turns some of their fan base off, but I cant see this happening here. They f**king nailed it!

It'll be on repeat for the next month in my car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I am so regretting not catching them live a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

I was at that gig in Vicar St. Was awesome considering Bill wasn't there, but not to worry!...get yourself a 'Tallica ticket and make up for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Absolutley outstanding album, those guys really can groove!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

My jury is still out on this album.I dunno,its just not as instantly listenable as their previous 3 efforts.I will have to give it some full listens but Im just not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Love the sabbath like vocals, some killer guitar riffs too. But for me the highlight is Brann Dailor's drumming; I've no words to describe it, it just blows me away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

Would have to agree with most of the comments on 'Crack the Skye', it is a fantastic piece of work...especially the 2 x epic tracks: the centrepiece: 'the czar' and grand finale 'the last baron', talk about teeth shattering riffs and mind bending guitar solos...brilliant stuff.

Most of the positive feedback regarding the enhanced vocals is due to them recruiting Brendan O' Brien to produce...though I've also heard some of the 'die-harders' are none to happy with this...

Check out metacritic's consolidated reviews: In particular Slant Magazine's juxtaposition with that other great metal pioneer, Isis.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/mastodon/cracktheskye

Looking forward to seeing them in Marley-P also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

For me , I don't know what to make of them half the time. Some savage musicianship, but dotted with some cheese now and then.

The last baron is amazing. I'll have to make a purchase...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bought this on Wednesday along with the new PJ Harvey cd ( really good btw), and was really surprised with how good it was. Normally I am not a great fan of Mastodon, mainly because of the vocals, but had heard three tracks from this and decided to get it.

Alice In Chains, Testament, Black Sabbath, Porcupine Tree, and a bit of Rush is what came to mind during my first two listens, as well as some crushing riffs and some interesting drumming.

Now I don't mean the comparisons in a bad way or in a manner that it is a blatant rip off of them, but the vocal style in places reminds me a lot of the first three bands I mentioned.

Crack The Skye may just push them into mainstream methinks, it is that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

This is a really really awesome album. I think it was Brent who said that they're not looking forward to trying to top it with the next release and that they've no idea how they would go about doing that. He also said that this is how Mastodon has sounded in his vision for the band since the very start. One of the albums of 2009 already imo.

Also, since I've only gotten into Mastodon recently I didn't know about Brann's sister. When I read about that this record was completely turned on it's head for me, powerful stuff indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Peiking Duck

What's the story about the sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

What's the story about the sister?

The drummer's sister (Skye) commited suicide when she was 14. He's been saying that this record is an homage to her, and if you listen to the lyrics you can definitely hear that. Some parts of the record sound really depressing and sad to me now :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I dont have any of there stuff,would this album be a good place to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Unbelievably I only picked this up yesterday and haven't gotten the chance to go through it all properly. The funny thing I find about Mastodon is that their albums are always growers (for me anyway). I wasn't hugely gone on Blood Mountain on first listen, now I'm wondering how the hell i didn't love it straight away. I really like what I've heard so far on this.

Personally I'd stick to the chronology and start at the start with Remission, fantastic album.

Agree with Necro,their back catalogue is worth getting for Crusher Destroyer,March of the Fire Ants and Blood and Thunder alone.MOTFA especially.
    \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Easily album of the year so far. Each listen reveals more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Just listened to it once, pretty impressed, think it's a grower.

The concept seems pretty interesting, is there an actual narrative to it or is it just thematic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

This is the first Mastadon album I've bought. Just not into the other stuff really. Not even a genre I've listened to much in recent years but I read reviews saying how good this album is so I decided to give it a go. It really is great. Progressive indeed. I think I'll get that Metallica ticket now:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

galwayrush wrote: »
    Heard their earlier stuff, it didn't do anything for me, but the new album is stunning

This, I agree with! Never really got into the previous efforts, but I'll definitely be giving the older albums more listens now. I really enjoy this album, it improves with every listen.

Just a pity their only date in Ireland this year is with Metallica, I'd love to see them again as I didn't appreciate the last time I saw them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

just bought this album now coz of these reviews. all i can say is i hope it is a grower! coz it hasnt impressed me that much yet. this ain feckin metal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got some of there older albums and I must say Im impressed :)

Ok,Ive listened to this alot since last week and I have to say Im just not feeling the love.Ive been a fan since Remission came out but I just cannot get into this.Its not that I think its a bad album as such but from Remission to Blood Mountain they have improved each time but I think this is kind of bland(by their own high standards)There are no real stand out tracks with the exception of Divinations and Quintessence,The Czar and The Last Baron are self indulgent (IMO) and 2 instrumentals of 2 tracks on the album smacks of laziness to me.Overall Crack the Skye is a miss as far as Im concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheWolf-IsLoose

I hopped on the bandwagon post-Blood Mountain, went to see them in Vicar St., met the band (excluding Bill of course), they are now my favourite band along with Megadeth. I'm utterly ragin' i'm going to be in Wacken for when they play Marlay Park; particularly because they've stated playing Crack The Skye in its entirity. Oh, as a drummer, BRANN DAILOR IS MY HERO!!

Crack The Skye is progress, firstly. It is different (loving the prog vibe, which i don't usually go for). Highlights are Oblivion, Divinations, Quintessence, Ghost Of Kharelia and The Last Baron. Currently not mad on the Czar but i don't really like songs of that structure/feel e.g Pendulous Skin, Megalodon. My Opinion

Buy This Album!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

As much as I absolutely love this album, and that song, I gotta say that is a pretty dismal performance vocally. I've a feeling that the entire album may be particularly hard to pull off live, which coupled with their already hit and miss live shows isn't exactly a good thing.

Still, a cracking album surely gonna be one of the years best. Love all their albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

the last baron is probably the greatest song I have ever heard.

takes you so many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Got this yesterday and its a total grower, had it on all day yesterday, gonna leave it a day then come back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

Undergod wrote: »
    Just listened to it once, pretty impressed, think it's a grower.

The concept seems pretty interesting, is there an actual narrative to it or is it just thematic?

There is a narrative: it involves the spirit of a paraplegic being transplanted into the body of Rasputin who...ugh, just google it, what a load of meta-physical nonsense :P

The album really is a grower; I was waiting for months for it, and it just gets better and better every time. You know, Metallica aren't going to last forever, that "Kings of Metal" throne must be looking mighty tempting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Just got this last week and Christ it blew me away. I was weary as Blood Mountain did feck all for me. Took a chance as reviews were favourable. The Czar is fantastic imo.

Looking forward on seeing them in Marley Pk although the jury seems to be out on their live performances.

I have noticed on a couple of forums there seems to be a bit of begrudgery towards Mastodon. Any reason why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I've heard them twice, was fairly impressed first time (festival), second time they blew my face (vicar st.).

No idea why there'd be begrudgery. People getting tired of them cause they're popular, perhaps?

Advertisement