Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Table Quiz cheats.

Options
  • 29-03-2009 7:29pm

Hi all....what would you do in this situation? At a PTAA Juvenile Regional Final today some of the tables had mobile phones on them, clearly being used to receive answers. Two of these tables have made the final in April. What to do? Whistleblow? Our honest team will also be in the final and fair is fair. I'm talking about U13s here.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Hi all....what would you do in this situation? At a PTAA Juvenile Regional Final today some of the tables had mobile phones on them, clearly being used to receive answers. Two of these tables have made the final in April. What to do? Whistleblow? Our honest team will also be in the final and fair is fair. I'm talking about U13s here.....
    Why were the people in charge of the quiz not informed as soon as the phones were noticed? Or if they did notice why didn't they do anything about it? Can't it be made a requirement that all phones are to be handed in or switched off before starting? If anyone breaks that rule then throw them out of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As a regular quiz attender I'd be very annoyed if this happened. Usually at any quiz I'm at the announcer will say at the outset that mobile phone use is prohibited and to please turn them off. Maybe mention this to the organizer at the next round? Its not ratting anybody out, all you want is a fair quiz at the end of the day.

I should. It was when we returned home that my daughter told me. Too late to do anything about it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

I would grab the phones, call someone in America and use up all the credit.
    No seriously, i would mention it to the quizmaster. Chances are that they team in question will be found out when they return a low score.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Usually the way with people cheating with mobiles at quizzes is they'll get the hard hard questions but throw down something they think they know the answer to and be wrong. Only once in my quizzing career have cheaters ever prospered.

Whether they'll do any good as well depends on the pace of the quiz, the slower it goes the longer they have to look stuff up, and also on how easy the questions are in general, if they're dirt easy it'll work.

Being a fairly serious quizzer I abhor cheating, it's supposed to be a test of a team's knowledge, not how good they are at looking stuff up, go do a treasure hunt ffs. Along with that though, I'm not a snitch, and in reality it's up to the organisers to enforce the no mobiles rule properly, if I was asked if I had seen anything I think I would say if I had though.

Nothing much you can do now OsciiBoscii I'm afraid, you can indulge in a nice bit of Schadenfreude when those teams get annihilated in the next round (assuming they enforce the rule that is)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mary70

Seems very unfair to cheat like that. I suppose the more progress we make, the more open we become to new situations arising like this. I would notify the PTAA for the next round and make sure these teams are watched like hawks for the next round. If it means someone standing next to them, do that but say nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mary70

It should also be announced about mobile phones at the outset of the quiz. They'll get the message. When they weren't caught red handed in the last round, nothing much can be done about the result of that round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 I.P. Freely

cool

Advertisement