Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Level Language

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Swizz wrote: »
    Wikipedia :pac:
    21 of them countries are in Africa, so exclude them for obvious reasons, and in the European countries, Luxembourg, Monaco and Switzerland they speak more than one language. So French is useless pretty much with Business.

I'm sorry but what.......... =p do they not have business in africa ?

Do french if you've done it before, it's an amazing language

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Anyone else wanna do Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Anyone else wanna do Irish?

I really do, chances of getting a decent job though *Shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Well Irish has become an official language of the EU for some strange reason so there will probably be a good few jobs for Irish speakers in Brussels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

As a matter of fact since doing my Irish Oral I've really wanted to become fluent at Irish and find myself spitting out the odd cúpla focail now and again.

Might not be used outside of here or parts of Scotland but, now I actually feel proud to have it as our own!

So does European Studies rule out an MBA afterwards or does it depend where you want to do the MBA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Irish would be a great option, the EU needs shedloads of translation done since Irish became an official language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Don't fool yourselves, I live with 2 girls doing Irish and new media who after university intend on working for TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Now, I'm confused :(. My first choice is commerce in UCD, but I don't think I'll get B3 in Maths (feckin' Paper 2 :mad:), my second choice is Arts (again, in UCD). I just found out that to do Arts (International-German) does not require German HC3, it is recommended, but not compulsory... I love German (I also have an intention to move to Germany or Switzerland someday), but my knowledge of it is... well quite a beginner (my school had only French to offer :().
    So, what do you think? Take out my "Deutsche Grammatik" book, start learning (I'm also thinking about two-week intensive German courses) and go on with it or stick to ordinary Arts omnibus, so I will not get kicked out if I fail my German exams in college :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

What does everyone think about the German/Italian combination? A good one to go for? Bearing in mind I'll be a beginner with Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Lucet wrote: »
    Now, I'm confused :(. My first choice is commerce in UCD, but I don't think I'll get B3 in Maths (feckin' Paper 2 :mad:), my second choice is Arts (again, in UCD). I just found out that to do Arts (International-German) does not require German HC3, it is recommended, but not compulsory... I love German (I also have an intention to move to Germany or Switzerland someday), but my knowledge of it is... well quite a beginner (my school had only French to offer :().
    So, what do you think? Take out my "Deutsche Grammatik" book, start learning (I'm also thinking about two-week intensive German courses) and go on with it or stick to ordinary Arts omnibus, so I will not get kicked out if I fail my German exams in college :D.

take the year out. repeat maths. live in germany/switzerland for 12 months now. use this years points to reapply for commerce next year when you will have your b3 in maths. sorted :D

• Advertisement

pathway33 wrote: »
    take the year out. repeat maths. live in germany/switzerland for 12 months now. use this years points to reapply for commerce next year when you will have your b3 in maths. sorted :D

I'm not going back to school even if I'll get 5 points from my Leaving Cert :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I'm not going back to school even if I'll get 5 points from my Leaving Cert :D.

dont have to go back to school. Just repeat 1 subject as an external student. Loads of people do that

pathway33 wrote: »
    dont have to go back to school. Just repeat 1 subject as an external student. Loads of people do that

Thank you for your suggestion, but I asked about German. Maybe I just ask in UCD forums about the subject and how hard it is :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

I want to study French(will I'm very good at anyway) and German in Uni. I wouldn't do a course that doesn't allow you to learn another language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Well If you are starting as a beginner you will have extra classes to make sure that you can pick up the language at a good pace. For the christmas exams from what I hear you do a "beginners" exam. However you are meant to do the same summer exam to those who have done German as non beginners. I know that it's this way in Trinity but I'd say its pretty much the same in UCD.

djcervi wrote: »
    Well If you are starting as a beginner you will have extra classes to make sure that you can pick up the language at a good pace. For the christmas exams from what I hear you do a "beginners" exam. However you are meant to do the same summer exam to those who have done German as non beginners. I know that it's this way in Trinity but I'd say its pretty much the same in UCD.

If it's like this, then I'll be very happy :D.
    I wrote an email to them twice, but I got it back saying that delivery failed :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

in would say french deffo ... its a lovely longuage .. hoping to study commerce and french in either galway cork or Ul next year fingers crossed i get it :D:D:D
    was in lisdoonvarna over the weekend and met a frencxh group in the pub .. talked to them in french as fluently as i could .. it was brilliant .. i love french :D:D:cool:

Advertisement