Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michelin star restaraunts in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

quazzy wrote: »
    Chipped Cutlery??? Perhaps the poster means crockery. Cutlery = knifes + forks etc...
    Crockery = plates and bowls etc..

I had figured that was what was intended - didn't want to point it out though :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No - I meant cutlery. There was both pitting and missing EPNS.

I wouldn't say I wasn't sated by the end of the meal - I was just surprised by the size of the portions.

Regarding the music, I certainly wasn't expecting anything loud or obtrusive but some classical or jazz at an appropriate level can add to the atmosphere or at least allow for conversation to take place without fear of being overheard.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I can vouch for the chipped cutlery which was surprising considering what you'd expect from a fine dining experience.

My starter had amazing flavour - Irish Coffee, white and green asparagus, black truffle jelly
    I would love some right now!

The OH's Pea soup tasted delicious. It was a small portion no denying that but plenty of room for the further courses...

Next for me Charcuterie Trolley, pig’s trotter boudin, potted rabbit and ham, foie gras terrine,
    gubeen salami and their accompaniments
    The same starter I read you had dudara and it was so satisfying and quite filling, whereas the plate the OH was served was pityfull! (Duck breast smoked over turf, foie gras cream, duck jelly and smoked almonds)
    But then it is quite luscious food so maybe that is the reason for the very small amount.

For mains we had - Roasted rump and slow cooked neck of spring lamb with carrots cooked in honey and black pepper, caper sprout cream and pickled garlic jus, for himself
    and for me
    Hake cooked with seaweed and Japanese salt, broccoli puree and lemon emulsion,
    crab beignet..
    The fish was cooked to perfection, I loved the seaweed, the broccoli & lemon were lovely, not overly punchy flavours.

Not big portions again but filling, particularly the Lamb (i sampled of course!) as it tasted very rich.

Dessert was Malted banana mousse with peanut butter brittle, dried banana in dark chocolate,
    hazelnut crumble and butter ice cream (for him)
    This was served in a crazy spattered way on the plate :D lots of mini bites to eat.

I went for the Warm chocolate mousse, caramel jelly, espresso mousse, lime ice cream and honeycomb
    The mousse was to die for, i could have done without the caramel jelly but it was delicious especially the icecream.

We had irish coffee (prepared in front of us) & petit fours

Service observations - Nice greeting, led straight to the bar and tended to without delay. Between courses our water glasses were refilled without having to ask. We weren't waiting long between courses. However I was surprised the crumbs weren't swept off of the table (just something a lot of places do between courses)

In the end I thoroughly enjoyed the food and was full up. Would I go back? Probably not. Do I think it's worth the price paid, No.
    I expected to be 'wowed' because of the Michelin star it boasts but I felt and continue to feel underwhelmed. I didn't feel it was a particularly 'special' place, the staff were efficient but not overly friendly (except a french waiter who was especially good) I've had better dining experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We received a voucher for Chapter One last night - delighted! Has always been my favourite restaurant in Dublin. Every meal here has been above expectations and we've never been disappointed. I love the relaxed and understated dining room. Martin, is a spot on maître d' and welcomes everyone like a long lost friend. The sommelier is generous with his time, always delighted to answer questions and he does indulge in the 'hard sell'. Aged cutlery losing its silver plating is not going to dull the enjoyment of my meal here (not that I've ever noticed it). This place has been knocking around for donkey's years, yet it's only recently gained the Michelin star.

Can. Not. Wait!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

olaola wrote: »
    Martin, is a spot on maître d' and welcomes everyone like a long lost friend. The sommelier is generous with his time, always delighted to answer questions and he does indulge in the 'hard sell'.
    Sadly we were not afforded this service.
    Aged cutlery losing its silver plating is not going to dull the enjoyment of my meal here (not that I've ever noticed it).

I didn't mean to suggest that aged cutlery would ruin a meal - I was just surprised to see it in a Michelin starred restaurant.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

olaola wrote: »
    We received a voucher for Chapter One last night - delighted! Has always been my favourite restaurant in Dublin. Every meal here has been above expectations and we've never been disappointed. I love the relaxed and understated dining room. Martin, is a spot on maître d' and welcomes everyone like a long lost friend. The sommelier is generous with his time, always delighted to answer questions and he does indulge in the 'hard sell'. Aged cutlery losing its silver plating is not going to dull the enjoyment of my meal here (not that I've ever noticed it). This place has been knocking around for donkey's years, yet it's only recently gained the Michelin star.

Can. Not. Wait!

I never said that it affected the enjoyment of the meal, it was an observation and something I was surprised to see.

Enjoy your night.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

We ate at Chapter One (albeit about 4 years ago) and I must say I was a bit disappointed. It was dark and cold and the food was only OK. We also ate at Gilbaud's and I must say this was the best dining experience we''ve ever had. The food was superb, but it was the attention to detail, the diningroom itself and the cheese board (which was wheeled to our table) that made the biggest impression on me. Formal it is and you wouldn't do it every week but we still talk about it whenever we somewhere "nice" and it hasn't been topped yet. Granted it was approx 350 euro for the 2 of us!!! Had a lovely lunch in L'Ecrivian before also and it was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I've had the pre-theatre menu in Chapter One on a few occasions. Always delicious, and very good value. But never a wow factor. I couldn't see why it would be rated higher than say One Pico, Dax, Pearl Brasserie. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Would highly recommend Oregano in Ballyrobert, Co.antrim..
    It has a Bib Gourmand. Have had 3 stunning meals there over the past year, a fraction of what you would pay for similar inDublin....Plus the owners opened a second restaurant in Belfast "The Potted Hen" which by all the media hype should be in line for a Bib Gourmand next yr...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

We ate at Chapter One (albeit about 4 years ago) and I must say I was a bit disappointed. It was dark and cold and the food was only OK. We also ate at Gilbaud's and I must say this was the best dining experience we''ve ever had. The food was superb, but it was the attention to detail, the diningroom itself and the cheese board (which was wheeled to our table) that made the biggest impression on me. Formal it is and you wouldn't do it every week but we still talk about it whenever we somewhere "nice" and it hasn't been topped yet. Granted it was approx 350 euro for the 2 of us!!! Had a lovely lunch in L'Ecrivian before also and it was very good.

+1 We sat at the waiting area having G&T's and having a laugh, when we were brought through for dinner [what a disappointment] food was not nice I have eaten in many a stared restaurant but i will never be back to this one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement