Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fredchest

Thanks very much for your info. I really appreciate that. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

fredchest wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your info. I really appreciate that. Thanks again

Stay away from the Travelodge. It was in my top 5 places to never stay again. The rooms we had backed onto a 24 hour glass recycling station and the aircon didn't work so we needed to keep the window open. Never again. Maybe try Airbnb?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,965 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I found that particular Travelodge very good. It was modern, clean, quiet and the staff were friendly and the rate competitive for London. It's also very central with good options for food and drinks close by to Liverpool St. A tip I always tell people when booking any hotel is to request a 'quiet room' or 'room on an upper floor' in the booking request. I have stayed in very reputable hotels, 4 star and had rooms overlooking service yards etc and it's not great. I wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again Travelodge is budget basic but as above it ticks all the boxes for that type of hotel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Tune hotel.
    can't go wrong.if you wanna go hella cheapskate you can get a room with just a bed.its like the Ryanair of hotels,room costs x if you want tv or shower and towels it's a little bit more.

Sounds a bit crap now but I stayed there and for location and a nice hotel it's the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Hey guys,

Anyone know the best way to travel to and from Stansted to London? Are there shuttle buses from the airport and are they expensive? Maybe the tube might be an option?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Anyone know the best way to travel to and from Stansted to London? Are there shuttle buses from the airport and are they expensive? Maybe the tube might be an option?

Thanks!

I don't think the tube goes to Stansted, last time I was there I got the Stansted Express train which goes from the airport to Liverpool Street. If you book online in advance its not a bad price!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Thanks for that,

Is it the National Express Bus? Seem to have found two return tickets to Victoria for £30. Does that sound right? Not a bad price.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Stanstead express (train) goes about every 15 minutes to/from London Liverpool Street. Takes about 45 minutes, about £30 return. Check out national rail enquires or stanstead express. Tube does not go out that far. Despite being called London Stanstead, its one of the furest out of London of all the London Airports.

National Express (bus) amongst other bus companies, go to Victoria. Both Victoria and Liverpool St are on the tube network.

The Stansted Express is pretty expensive for what it is really. The cheapest fares though can be obtained from their website in advance. Watch out for deals that involve 'webduo' if you are travelling with someone else. The plus side of using them is that it's quick comfortable and will have you in the center of London ie. Liverpool St Station in just under 50 mins.

The buses are far better value. National Express and Terravision both serve central London from Stansted for a fraction of the price starting from 6 pounds I think with Terravision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,446 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I always get the Stansted Express train to Tottenham Hale. Victoria Line tube from there then to wherever suits the most.

It's cheaper than getting the Express to Liverpool Street and is a shorter journey. Have gotten it to Liverpool Street once before and it felt like it took forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 operagust

Hi,
    In April I am planning a short weekend trip to London.
    Which is the cheapest way to get from London Stansted to City Centre?
    Thank you,
    Darius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Thanks Fred!
    What is also the best Hop On Hop Off option for city center in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Cheapest way is Terravision bus from £6.

stansteadcitylink now run that service. £7.50 return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

cocoman wrote: »
    stansteadcitylink now run that service. £7.50 return.

£7.50 EACH WAY

I bought 4 return tickets for 68 euro on National Express which I think it is a good deal. It might be that I could get this good price as I choose the group option travelling.
    For the Hop On Hop Off bus I choose the original tour with 32.34 euro/ticket valid 24h.

Does anyone have an tips on the cheapest way to buy Heathrow Express Tickets please ? I need a one way ticket this coming Saturday from Paddington back to LHR due to a late change in plans where I'll need the 'express'. Best I can see so far is £22 on the Heathrow Express website. many thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Strumms wrote: »
    Does anyone have an tips on the cheapest way to buy Heathrow Express Tickets please ? I need a one way ticket this coming Saturday from Paddington back to LHR due to a late change in plans where I'll need the 'express'. Best I can see so far is £22 on the Heathrow Express website. many thanks,

Pretty certain there is only one price (except for the very rare times they have a promo on).buying online is slightly cheaper than buying in station or on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Pretty certain there is only one price (except for the very rare times they have a promo on).buying online is slightly cheaper than buying in station or on the train.

Cheapest is always online and the further in advance that you book the cheaper the fares get.

If you've a little more time use the Heathrow Connect - it's cheaper and only a few minutes slower.

Sure looks that way. Yeah the walk-up price is even more OTT but any time I've used it previously it's been when I have been delayed in London with work so it wasn't on my own coin as it were.... Searched high and low for cheap fares, discounts and promo codes but nothing happening.... £22 quid for a 15 min trip it is....

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    Cheapest is always online and the further in advance that you book the cheaper the fares get.

If you've a little more time use the Heathrow Connect - it's cheaper and only a few minutes slower.

Just checked the Heathrow Connect. It looks like there is only an average of 8 mins of a difference there and abouts between that and the Express train so I think I'll book that and it's just less then half the price also. Crazy I always had it in my head somehow that the Connect was 45 mins or something of a trip. Thanks for the help !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Just checked the Heathrow Connect. It looks like there is only an average of 8 mins of a difference there and abouts between that and the Express train so I think I'll book that and it's just less then half the price also. Crazy I always had it in my head somehow that the Connect was 45 mins or something of a trip. Thanks for the help !

It only goes every 30 minutes though, so you could end up waiting for it.

If you plan to be at Paddington to catch it though, it is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If you plan to be at Paddington to catch it though, it is a good option.

Well if you check the timetable beforehand that's unlikely - always a good practice for any non-metro style rail connection!!

If you plan to be at Paddington to catch it though, it is a good option.[/QUOTE,]

Yes I've checked the timetable and I'll be in the general area of Paddington anyway so will suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Yes I've checked the timetable and I'll be in the general area of Paddington anyway so will suit me.

There is no discount for online/advance booking on Heathrow Connect, only walk-up fares.

If you have a paper or oyster travelcard you can use it for part of the journey and save a few quid, just buy a single from the last station in your zone to Heathrow.

Paddington-Heathrow is £10.20 single, Hayes& Harlington (Z5) is £6.20

You can do the same with oyster PAYG, but you would need to get off at the intermediate station to tag off oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Where in London to stay for a family with older children planning to see all the usual sights.
    They are too big to pack into one hotel room at this stage!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Thinking of getting one of those theatre packages (3 day) to see a couple of west end shows.Gonna use local travel agent.
    Just lookin for a heads up or maybe the dos/donts when booking something like this. Never been to London so not familiar with the ins and outs of it. Any advice appreciated.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I will be connecting to an Aer Lingus flight in Heathrow from Etihad Airways on Saturday afternoon. Just wondering what rules or agreement Etihad have with Aer Lingus to use their lounge in Terminal 2? I have about 3.5hrs between flights. The entire trip was booked via Etihad on single ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I've a feeling it's only connecting passengers from a long-haul BA flight in business or first who are admitted on production of their boarding pass and an onward boarding pass on Aer Lingus. Good news is you can rock up to the lounge reception and purchase entry for £23 & that'd be money well spent on a lengthy layover.

It's the nicest lounge on the EI network by some distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I will be connecting to an Aer Lingus flight in Heathrow from Etihad Airways on Saturday afternoon. Just wondering what rules or agreement Etihad have with Aer Lingus to use their lounge in Terminal 2? I have about 3.5hrs between flights. The entire trip was booked via Etihad on single ticket.

As above, unless you're a First or a Business Class ticket, or have a valid/active Gold Circle Card you won't be allowed access.

Advertisement