Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NMCI/CIT Clubs and societies

Options
  • 15-03-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm a prospective student for NMCI and I'm just wondering since NMCI is a constituent college of CIT can NMCI students join the CIT clubs and societies?

Also I am hoping to study Nautical Science and can ayone tell me how long their typical day is? Like is it sporadic lectures similar to UCC or the usual 9 to 5 day you get in secondary school?

Finally if anyone could tell me their experience of second year of nautical science, I know that there's 15 months of "sea time" to be built up but how is this split up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fluffysierra

If you go to the NMCI you are still a CIT student so there's no problem joining CIT clubs/societies. There are a few clubs in the NMCI.

As for the sea time, that depends on the company you work for. It could be 4, 5, 6 months on, 2/3 months off. It could also be 4-6 weeks on, 4-6 weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

In theory, you are as much a part of CIT as am NMCI student as those based in bishopstown, but in practice, CIT will do all they can to prevent giving funding to NMCI clubs/soc's. CIT events generally are not communicated to the NMCI either. As for sea time, you have 18 months to complete a minimum of 12 months sea time. Generally as a Cadet you will get 7 days off per month of sea service. Each trip will be 3 to 4 months, giving you 3 to 4 weeks off between trips. Generally college days are 9 to 5, with 1 half day

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

tommyhaas wrote: »
    .....in practice, CIT will do all they can to prevent giving funding to NMCI clubs/soc's.

This is a very unfair comment for the staff that work in societies and would love to know what you are basing this on. I know for a fact that constituent colleges get far more funding per student than the Bishopstown campus. Buses, which are not cheap, are put on for all major student events to bring them to balls, etc.

At the beginning of each year and again in Jan/Feb each society meets the society board which is made up of the societies officer, student reps, and student services staff. There isn't an endless pot of cash but I believe that it is fairly distributed to societies based on their plans for the year.

The societies officer arranges meetings in the NMCI with students throughout the year as do other student services such as careers, chaplaincy and the SU. I also understand that an meeting was held this week for students in constituent colleges to gain feedback on services.

Advertisement